xisto Community
Chesso

Windows Live Messenger

Hello,I have been using Windows Live Messenger for a couple of months now (I don't think older version ca be used anymore, and for some reason I couldn't anyway, can't remember exactly, anyway....), and have always on a daily basis (many times a day), having issue with it logging me out randomly (with no signs of hiccups or issue with my internet connection) or it just plain exiting on me completely out of nowhere, with no signs or symptoms of it occurring and I don't know until I actually proceed to hover over a minimized conversation or the task tray icon for it.As a first step, I would have possibly thought, that certain contacts on my list were using some types of character, or text/emoticon/display picture hacks causing the issue (which I have seen cause crashing issue before in older versions of MSN Messenger), however I only have 2 contacts these days which are both of my missus........ that and I set hers up and know what and how she uses it (nothing out of the ordinary, just a basic display picture, different font and talking in plain text and using all standard emoticons basically).Anyone have any idea what is going on? Is this a known issue (I haven't heard anything), oh and I do use a Polygamy patch, however my missus has suffered identical issues (at different times), and does not have this or any other patch applied to it.

When the problem occurs (Live Messenger shuts) open the run windoow (Windows Key + R) and enter eventvwr. THis will open the event viewer, search through the list to see if you can find live messenger and what happened to it.

Hopefully this will lead you on the path to solving the problem!

-jimmy

Ahhh I see, I have never used this application before, nice tip, it's not exactly informative, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Here are the messages I can find so far:

Hanging application msnmsgr.exe, version 8.1.178.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

It doesn't seem to show any other entries (I guess it missed the others for some reason, or it doesn't bother for what ever reason (might have just closed itself rather than hang)).

I think it's that patch you installed. My life revolves around the Windows Live network (and yes, I hate M$, but the majority of Torontonians use WLM). My Windows Live has yet to crash unless my connection died.Have been using MSN/Windows Live Messenger for: 6 years (since I was grade 7).xboxrulz

Yeah so I would have thought, but I did mention my missus is having identical issues with a 100% clean install and no patches what so ever...... that's the part I can't explain.

Are you 100% absolutely sure that it's not a problem with your connection temporarily restarting? I too use MSN messenger aka Windows Live Messenger and I don't get this problem unless there's a problem with my internet connection. Do you have some kind of firewall that might be causing the problem? I'm not a computer expert or anything, but it could also be the network. I remember back in the day when I used to use msn a lot, there used to be problems with it shutting off and starting back again for no reason, but this problem has stopped.If it's a consistent problem, how about doing a clean install and see if it keeps happening?

lol nobody is noticing "my missus has identical issues" ;).

She has no firewall (like me), seperate ISP's, seperate computers and locations, but the same OS and Windows Live Messenger (that being XP SP2, though firewall is crippled).

I wouldn't know if anyone else suffers it as I don't talk to anyone else on msn these days, but these problems started with Windows Live Messenger, and I used to have issues with blank contact lists (so I re-started the list and only put the missus).

Nah Microsoft Support is useless, and so is Rockstars web support for that matter lol, they can't take any contstructive criticism or fault and they think a 1 men, 1 time test proves their right.......... yep they are real bright lol.

I never had a problem only when my internet went down and i've been using windows live messager for about a year now i use it for all my friends and all i really like it and i have no problems only for sound lol but i fixed that and i really love it i prob wouldn't use the internet if i didn't have msn messager.

Since you have no firewall could it be a trojan or something that accesses the web is gimping your bandwidth or something along those lines? I'm not sure if it can happen but I remember when I got some spyware and a few trojans my net would constantly fall then peak again-reply by Monkey