xisto Community
macmike

Sharing Broadband Connection Between Mac And Windows

Hi,I am running a Broadband cable connection on a sb5100 modem on a desktop windows computer and i am wondering if i could share the internet connection between it and my Apple Macbook pro running on Mac OS X v10.4. If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

You could use Internet Connection Sharing. What is the interface of the modem (USB, Ethernet, etc). Does the Apple have a network card, if so, which interface (LAN/WiFi aka. AirPort). If your modem is USB, you can use ICS. If your modem is Ethernet, you will need a new network card unless you're using WiFi.xxxx-jozh-xxxxNote: Are Windows and Mac friends?

You could either set up windows to share the internet, or a better option would be buying a router that'd share the internet between the two computers. You can get a 4 port routers for a low price. They also include a firewall which might come in handy.

You would need a router so that more than 1 computer can share the Internet connection. Once you get a router, simply plug both systems in. If you get wireless then just follow your manufacturer's guide to install that particular router.

Note: Are Windows and Mac friends?

In many ways, they are. More like they are cousins with Linux. FreeBSD is its older brother or sister.

xboxrulz

He is talking about Broadband so I assume his modem has an in-built router.I have never seen one that does not have it.Most I have seen use both USB and Ethernet, so if you are lucky and this is the case, simply plug Ethernet to the Mac (it should work right away with no changes) and USB to Windows (you will probably need drivers that come with the modem/router).And that's all, nothing more, it'll all work without the need for interference from the likes of ICS etc.