xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Windows Explorer Impersonator - The Online Explorer

I wanted to create a directory where I could keep my files while on the move. The main problem was the poor interface associated with a simple Web Application. Fear not, AJAX is here and this is what I have come up with:-

Posted Image

Here goes the link to the script: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

*** List of explorer currently supported features:-Directory Navigation via Double Click

Directory Navigation via the Address Bar

Breadcrumb type Back/Next Navigation

General Navigation: Go Up, Refresh, Home

Scrollable + Sortable File/Folder Listing with details (Size, Type, Date Modified)

File Type Detection with Custom Icon & Description

Context Sensitive File & Folder Tasks which includes:-

General

Make a new Folder

Upload Files

File

Download

Rename

Move

Copy

Delete

Folder

Rename

Move

Copy

Delete

File/Folder Selection through Lasso and Mouse Click (Ctrl, Shift Supported)

Status Bar which shows the current objects, total file size in the directory and the zone.

File type customization

Password protection for Files adnd Folders

AJAX based Image Preloading

*** The List will be kept updated.

A lot of effort has gone in to make it resemble Windows Explorer both in terms of look and functionality. Although, at times, certain variations had to be made. I will be eagerly waiting for the expert opionion and ideas which made the previous scripts a success.

Thanx,

Max.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Well done, it functions very much like the windows counterpart! It was a bit slow for me, but im assuming once all the small graphics have downloaded, it'll be quicker to run.Just a question, are you specifying the directory to use in the script from the backend - as so you can choose the directory that you want to display? It sounds something similar to another topic i was reading just yesterday. This time, instead of making a simple html page with links - this is the graphical/AJAX alternative.Well Done, and I cannot wait to see some of the new features!-jimmyEDIT: My Internet is slow today - thus the reason everything was going slowly!

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

that is soo cooli wish i knew how to do something like that, it'll be many years more than likely before i can do something like that, lmao

Whoa damn awesome stuff there, that would've taken you ages. Nice addition to your site too, runs fine here on my side and i have to say it does look nice and have some great functionality!With further customisation i'd say you could get it looking and working just like the actual windows explorer (there would be some limitations of course but it's looking good so far)Great work ;)-HellFire

It took 72 hours of marathon coding to be done. A potential vulnerability which allowed access to upper folders via ../ has been resolved. It would have compromised my hosting files, so I have disabled all paths with ../. The File type customization is now working and currently I am looking for cool file type icons. Another thing I am thinking of is to read the icons embedded in files such as EXEs.

It took 72 hours of marathon coding to be done. A potential vulnerability which allowed access to upper folders via ../ has been resolved. It would have compromised my hosting files, so I have disabled all paths with ../. The File type customization is now working and currently I am looking for cool file type icons. Another thing I am thinking of is to read the icons embedded in files such as EXEs.

utilizing the open_basedir configuration option in PHP is safer as it restricts filesystem access at the runtime level so you don't have to do code checks, just handle the errors gracefully.

open_basedir string

Limit the files that can be opened by PHP to the specified directory-tree, including the file itself. This directive is NOT affected by whether Safe Mode is turned On or Off.

When a script tries to open a file with, for example, fopen() or gzopen(), the location of the file is checked. When the file is outside the specified directory-tree, PHP will refuse to open it. All symbolic links are resolved, so it's not possible to avoid this restriction with a symlink. If the file doesn't exist then the symlink couldn't be resolved and the filename is compared to (a resolved) open_basedir.

The special value . indicates that the working directory of the script will be used as the base-directory. This is, however, a little dangerous as the working directory of the script can easily be changed with chdir().

In httpd.conf, open_basedir can be turned off (e.g. for some virtual hosts) the same way as any other configuration directive with "php_admin_value open_basedir none".

Under Windows, separate the directories with a semicolon. On all other systems, separate the directories with a colon. As an Apache module, open_basedir paths from parent directories are now automatically inherited.

The restriction specified with open_basedir is actually a prefix, not a directory name. This means that "open_basedir = /dir/incl" also allows access to "/dir/include" and "/dir/incls" if they exist. When you want to restrict access to only the specified directory, end with a slash. For example: "open_basedir = /dir/incl/"

Note: Support for multiple directories was added in 3.0.7.

The default is to allow all files to be opened.

I wanted to create a directory where I could keep my files while on the move. The main problem was the poor interface associated with a simple Web Application. Fear not, AJAX is here and this is what I have come up with:-

Posted Image

Here goes the link to the script: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

*** List of explorer currently supported features:-Directory Navigation via Double Click

Directory Navigation via the Address Bar

Breadcrumb type Back/Next Navigation

General Navigation: Go Up, Refresh, Home

Scrollable + Sortable File/Folder Listing with details (Size, Type, Date Modified)

File Type Detection with Custom Icon & Description

Context Sensitive File & Folder Tasks which includes:-

General

Make a new Folder

Upload Files

File

Download

Rename

Move

Copy

Delete

Folder

Rename

Move

Copy

Delete

File/Folder Selection through Lasso and Mouse Click (Ctrl, Shift Supported)

Status Bar which shows the current objects, total file size in the directory and the zone.

File type customization

*** The List will be kept updated.

A lot of effort has gone in to make it resemble Windows Explorer both in terms of look and functionality. Although, at times, certain variations had to be made. I will be eagerly waiting for the expert opionion and ideas which made the previous scripts a success.

Thanx,

Max.

Congrats, this an excelent script but i have some trouble to check your site, i guess is a problem by my side. I hope that this issue will be fixed soon.

Best regards,

This looks like an excellent script so far!!There are a couple things that would be nice... It would be nice if it supported double clicking on files themselves...but it is a great script at the moment...Maybe even better if it supported dealing with some types of files (such as pdf, and image files) in certain ways without having to actually download them to your computer somewhere and then view them... (like embeded file viewers of some sort)

This looks like an excellent script so far!!
There are a couple things that would be nice... It would be nice if it supported double clicking on files themselves...but it is a great script at the moment...

Maybe even better if it supported dealing with some types of files (such as pdf, and image files) in certain ways without having to actually download them to your computer somewhere and then view them... (like embeded file viewers of some sort)

That is a great idea. I will try to implement something like that. To begin with, the simpler ones such as images and plain text files would be supported.

Another excellent web-based file manager is eXtplorer, look to this topic that i just post for more information about this: eXtplorer, A PHP -and JavaScript- based File Manager.
Best regards,

It feels so weird to know that when you've finished building something you presumed to be unique, it turns out that others have done something similar even before. I'll try to learn and utilize something from their product.

That is a great idea. I will try to implement something like that. To begin with, the simpler ones such as images and plain text files would be supported.

It feels so weird to know that when you've finished building something you presumed to be unique, it turns out that others have done something similar even before. I'll try to learn and utilize something from their product.

Hey come on turbopowerdmaxsteel, your product is excellent too, so, don't give up and take it as a challenge.

Best regards,

I guess you are right mate! Here are the recent developments:-> Added support for Password protecting files/folders.> AJAX based Image Preloading.The password protected files/folders cannot be deleted, renamed, moved or copied but can be opened/downloaded. The file preview mechanism, although currently disabled, supports text files and images.

Looks like its improving greatly! one thing i noticed is that when you use the menu option on the forward and back arrows (the drop down menus) longer directory names (such as the test directory. pass = 123456) don't fit into one line in the menu and don't stretch the menu out (like they do in windows). Otherwise its looking good! Congrats-jimmy