xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Indexmaker 1.01 Make an index from your files and folders

With Indexmaker you can create an index file in html format directly from your files and folders. You can crreate from any folder of your hard disk with all its subfolders or not a finish HTML file with hyperlinks of your files. This freeware comes with two HTML layouts with the posibility to show or not the size and the date and time of your files.

It is more simple and less advanced than DIR2HTML -which i prefers- because your resulting index file don't create any index of your subfolders if you choose the option to view them, but comes very handy if you want to create a simple and direct index file of your folders.

For downloading and more information you can visit the Indexmaker website

Check the following topic DIR2HTML for more information about it.

Best regards,

Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

So this software will create a new page similar to the basic index the web hosting provides, but with a bit more flair etc? Sounds Good, I have a;lways hated having to do it manually! ;)

So this software will create a new page similar to the basic index the web hosting provides, but with a bit more flair etc? Sounds Good, I have a;lways hated having to do it manually! ;)

Exactly, but with the difference that you have all your files of your folder or folders and subfolders directly in only one page that can be very very big, so take in account this. Yesterday testing this software i generate and index of one of my folders and finally i got an index file of more or less 9Mb.
Best regards,

Well it sounds like those programs will make an automated index of any file structure, so a local file system as well. That said it still seems to be lost on me why you'd need this but I'm sure it's useful in some way or another. Sure it's easy to look in explorer or whatnot to see your files or on the index of your web host but if you wanted to have a documented list f all the files in a certain directory or whatnot this could be helpful. I guess making an index of music files could be made easy work of with such a tool. That said there are usually other methods of having a similar outcome...So yes, I'm sure they do the intended job well but past that I'm having a hard time imagining why I would actually want to have one on my computer. Maybe someone could shed some light on it.

Well it sounds like those programs will make an automated index of any file structure, so a local file system as well. That said it still seems to be lost on me why you'd need this but I'm sure it's useful in some way or another. Sure it's easy to look in explorer or whatnot to see your files or on the index of your web host but if you wanted to have a documented list f all the files in a certain directory or whatnot this could be helpful. I guess making an index of music files could be made easy work of with such a tool. That said there are usually other methods of having a similar outcome...

Yes, there are other ways to do that, for example by using the DIR command you can generate an index text file of your mp3 files, for example to generate an index of only the root folder of your mp3s folder you use the following:

c:\mp3s\dir *.mp3 > index_of_my_mp3_files.txt

And if you want a more complete index including all of its subfolders you can use:

c:\mp3s\dir /s *.mp3 > index_of_my_mp3_files.txt

So yes, I'm sure they do the intended job well but past that I'm having a hard time imagining why I would actually want to have one on my computer. Maybe someone could shed some light on it.

For example, i have on my HD a folder with a huge quantity of templates, so, i use this freeware to generate an index file of this folder to view and access with one click all of this files in a simple and direct way, just to avoid the usual folder by folder browsing.
Best regards,

I suppose that it could be useful for pages where there is a bunch of links (say a directory of downloads). I have done something similar before where I listed all the files in a directory so that the user could download the files, but in that case, a) the files wouldn't have changed that often and ;) you couldn't upload your own files to the directory. Useful for 'Share' drives and such.