xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Impious

New Japanese Tv Has Coin Thickness

Sony presented on this Monday (1) an apparel of TV that uses organic issuing diodes of light, called technology of OLED. TV XEL-1, of 11 inches, will arrive at the stores of Japan in December and he/she has 3 millimeters of thickness-the equivalent to the thickness of a coin. The apparel will cost US$ 1,7 thousand.

Edited by Impious (see edit history)

Just...just wow. I'll admit, that's damned impressive. Anyone care to comment on how durable those screens are, though? ;)I can't picture them being that snap resistant, so I'd love to see the first 3mm mobile phone and seeing how long it lasts. Either way, they're still damned cool. ;)

I wonder what the price of these things will be. I would figure that if Sony is marketing these products, then I will not be able to afford it... It's cool that Sony has great ideas and inventions, but you have to be loaded to have them. Another issue is that with the size of these machines being so small, how easy would it be to fix one of them once they go wrong? And how easy would it be to steal one? I love technology. I remember when I had a huge tv that was only 19 inches. Now my lcd monitor is bigger than my old tv and costs less, not to mention saves more space and is lighter. What will they think of next?

That's really thin! The technology these days just keep on changing. It's amazing how they've decresed the size of so many things. TV's, cellphones, and especially computers! *computer geek* Thanks for the informational update.

Woah, very interesting. But you know, for some reason, those things just don't seem to...be all that practical. I'm mean, it's great that there're all these innovations that can bring us to coin-thin televisions, but really, it doesn't look very stable to me. And the whole point of a lightweight TV is to be able to move it around, right? So why would it make sense to have something so flimsy? At the same time, this is really cool and I'd like to mess around with one of these...

Price is definitely an issue. Price is really the thing that determines whether or not your average household buys it. So if it's not all that cheap (and it won't be as no new technology is), then only the technology-enthusiasts will actually purchase it.

Another issue is that with the size of these machines being so small, how easy would it be to fix one of them once they go wrong? And how easy would it be to steal one?

Well, in terms of stealing, probably just as easy as it is to steal your cell phone. :-P I wouldn't say it's that big of a deal--it's easier to steal than a TV, sure, but it's probably just as easy to steal as a laptop. So if your security mechanisms prevent your laptop from being stolen, it'll probably prevent this from being stolen as well. :-]

Wow. That's small. I have calculators that are three millimetres thin, but screens are an altogether different story. They're much harder to make. I wonder, indeed, how they make them? And how they'll repair such things - and how much it'll cost. As Mordent said, I can't see these things as snap resistant, being so thin, so it will be interesting to see them in use.But is it necessary to make such small TVs? I wouldn't carry one around to catch all my favourite shows, or watch movies on a long flight. I think I'd rather bring a book. The screen is too easily stolen and broken. Though I suppose if it's incorporated into a phone or something, it'd be more useful, but still, I think our phones at the moment are pretty good at the moment, minus the fact that they can give you cancer because of the radiation.Serena

Man. Wow.

The Japanese sure are great inventors. I agree with Arbitratry though that it all just seems for show. I mean, it's great eye candy and all, but at the end of the day you just want to watch shows on your TV, not watch your TV.

As a techie consumer, I feel all warm inside from just looking at the wafer-thinness (is there such a word? lol) of the thing. But as a practical buyer, I just don't see myself shelling out for one of these anytime soon. Not unless they make it, like, 50 inches wide and solid as a rock. :rolleyes: