xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dhanesh1405241511

[help] Networking A Mac With Pc (file Share & Internet)

Hello Folks, Long time since i last posted here. Anyways, I am having problems or rather having issues about networking my PC with the MAC at home through a Modem+wireless router. I have been using a normal DSL modem since i switched to broadband 5 years ago. A Lucent Cell Pipe 20A USB. I finally decided i needed to change my modem because firstly the drivers werent updated any more and secondly the product is discontinued.I bought a new Wireless ADSL2 + Modem router. This is what i was told to buy as i had no idea of what i needed for the upgrade. Its a NETGEAR DG834G v3. Guess if you search on the netgear site you'll get the technical info for the product.I managed to get the internet working after like almost a day lol, because the system of a browser configuration etc is new to me. But these are my details to get you started:PC : 1 LAN Port, NETGEAR port 4 is connected to this LAN port of my PCMAC : 1 LAN Port, NETGEAR port 2 is connected directly to this machine.Now my question is, How do i share files from my pc to mac, as in i need a network drive on my mac showing me a specif folder that i share on the PC. I did this when i had a straight LAN wired connection from the PC to the MAC. Gave the PC an IP and MAC just gave itself one and i could mount the drive on the mac desktop.Now how do i do this with the current system i have with the new modem+router etc. Can someone guide me to a tutorial or write one here to guide me through this ?Plus it would also be helpful if you told me how to set up wireless ;) , i have wireless security disabled now and i guess half the people in my locality are connected on this lol. So i wanted to know what settings or what type of security should i choose so i can connect my Laptop or the MAC via wireless. I tried to put a WEP passcode and it generated a random key etc. but when i found the access point in mac and tried to connect and add in the key it says "error connecting" Without the password (disabled) it connects fine.Would appreciate your help alot.Thanks and regardsDhanesh.

Be sure to use WPA-PSK instead as it allows you to make your own password instead of having the system do a random code generation. WPA is safer than WEP too. Best to use WPA2-PSK if the router supports it.

As for Mac to Windows sharing, be sure to follow this window properly:

xboxrulz