xisto Community
karlo

Php Programmers, How Long To Finish Your Scripts? time spent on creating php scripts

Hello. I am currently working on kShoutBox 0.5 which has many new features. Now I realize that it's really really and i mean really difficult to create a PHP script because it really do takes your time. Example when I don't know what to do or what function to use, i check out the php manual, and you know, i use the old tradition "Trial and Error".

Hmm.. I'm currently coding my own source code of message boards. You may find them here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . I've been working on it for about.. 3-5 days now and the average time it takes me to code a file is about 6 minutes. The adminstrative file 'new_board.php' which allows you to create a new board or category that will appear on the index (or be hidden) took me EXACTLY 6 minutes to code and it was a pretty lengthy file. I think I've been reading my PHP 5 and MySQL book a little too much. >_>;

Shoutboxes are easy if you are doing it with mysql. Im not reallly good with putting stuff into files. But if I do a shoutbox with mysql, that has lots of features, it would probably take me a couple hours. If it has no features, probably like 20 mins. 6 mins is crazy!!!! :)

For most of my PHP scripts, it takes me, on average, about 1 hour for a lengthy script. For most moderate sized files, about 20 minutes. I'm not really good enough to make a good script in 6 minutes...I could make a simple one in that time. I'm currently working on a forum, and it's takes me about 2-3 hours each night to work on. However, most of that time is spent thinking about what functions to use. I don't care how long it takes to code a script, I just enjoy scripting in PHP.

Hmm.. I'm currently coding my own source code of message boards. You may find them here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . I've been working on it for about.. 3-5 days now and the average time it takes me to code a file is about 6 minutes. The adminstrative file 'new_board.php' which allows you to create a new board or category that will appear on the index (or be hidden) took me EXACTLY 6 minutes to code and it was a pretty lengthy file. I think I've been reading my PHP 5 and MySQL book a little too much. >_>;

6 minutes? it's impossible. I can make a hello world script! Can you send me a copy of your message board? Your website is suspened. PHP 5? Why don't you use PHP 4?

Shoutboxes are easy if you are doing it with mysql. Im not reallly good with putting stuff into files. But if I do a shoutbox with mysql, that has lots of features, it would probably take me a couple hours. If it has no features, probably like 20 mins. 6 mins is crazy!!!!

You are right, it's impossible. I realized MySQL is easier than flat files. Before, flat files were easier for me. Acutally, working with files, is easy.

For most of my PHP scripts, it takes me, on average, about 1 hour for a lengthy script. For most moderate sized files, about 20 minutes. I'm not really good enough to make a good script in 6 minutes...I could make a simple one in that time. I'm currently working on a forum, and it's takes me about 2-3 hours each night to work on. However, most of that time is spent thinking about what functions to use. I don't care how long it takes to code a script, I just enjoy scripting in PHP.

Yes, you are like me. On my own shoutbox, it took me many weeks. kShoutBox. Me too. I enjoy using PHP!

i finished my filemanager manager application within a week and a half. from the beginning to the installation script. the hard part is really the installation script for me.

i finished my filemanager manager application within a week and a half. from the beginning to the installation script. the hard part is really the installation script for me.

66907[/snapback]

I didn't understand that. Please rephrase it. Do you mean, you created your own file manager for personal use and still, you created an installation script (for your personal use)?

I ain't really a PHP Programmer but I am trying to create my own site. I haven't worked on it in awhile cause of my short attention span. Does anyone know where a good place would be to type up PHP scripts and be able to look at em? It would be nice to know. And does anyone know where I can learn PHP in a day or 2 here at home for free? I would really like to know those things.

I didn't understand that. Please rephrase it. Do you mean, you created your own file manager for personal use and still, you created an installation script (for your personal use)?

66986[/snapback]

I created the program for everyone. it uses the GNU GPL license. if you wanna try it out, go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

I ain't really a PHP Programmer but I am trying to create my own site. I haven't worked on it in awhile cause of my short attention span. Does anyone know where a good place would be to type up PHP scripts and be able to look at em? It would be nice to know. And does anyone know where I can learn PHP in a day or 2 here at home for free? I would really like to know those things.

66987[/snapback]

You cannot really learn the whole of PHP in a short span of time. maybe the basics but not the whole language. try grabbing the PHP Manual at http://php.net/. Then use editors such as dreamweaver or crimson. then upload them to your host all the time or just setup your own webserver with PHP support so that you can test your scripts locally.

I just meant the basics. And I don't have dreamweaver or crimson.

66996[/snapback]

then good for you. you can just use any text editor even notepad. but it soes not have syntax highlighting making you confused all the time.

btw, crimson editor is free.

can you gimme the url to the exact place for the php manual thing?

67028[/snapback]

can't find it there? it's just in the upper part of the page in the nav part. anyways here is the link.

http://php.net/docs.php

just select your prefered language and format.

It usually takes me 1 or 2 hours for big scripts, 30 minutes for avarege scripts. Sometimes, of course, it takes me less or more time.

66987[/snapback]

You want to learn PHP in 1 or 2 days? Sorry man, but thinking like this, you will not get anywhere.

You want to learn PHP in 1 or 2 days? Sorry man, but thinking like this, you will not get anywhere.

67562[/snapback]

I agree. learning php really takes alot of time and patience.