xisto Community
Grafitti

Vmware On 946intel Board Problem sound card not recognized

I installed VMware on my desktop, which has a 946GZIS motherboard with a Sigmatel Audio Controller. It runs fine as a normal system, but in VMware it won't register the sound card. In system hardware, it's just got the yellow question mark and says the drivers are not installed. But i've tried installing it off the Intel CD, plus i've downloaded the drivers from Intel as well, but they just install and want to reboot the computer, but don't seem to have any effect.

The emulated hardware in the VM itself is will not be the same of what your actual hardware have. The driver is provided windows. The emulated audio device is actually "Sound Blaster AudioPCI". According to VMWare website, most OS already included this driver by default, including W2K and XP. You can have a read at this link, it's not for VMware workstation or player, but anyway, it's related. https://www.vmware.com/support/gsx3/doc/vidundcfg_gsx.html

Anyway, what's the OS you're running inside the VM?

I'm running XP Pro inside the VM. Just because I want a test system to install new stuff on, and for my son's preschool games, which come with a lot of crap included that i don't want messing up my system. The thing I don't understand is why XP would recognize the sound card outside the vm but not inside. I tried using DriverBackup to extract the driver from my normal xp, but installing it just gives the same problem inside... won't change the "no driver installed" message.

Err, looks like you haven't get what i'm trying to explain. The soundcard in the VM is emulated as soundblaster. No matter what soundcard you install on your pc, it'll only be soundblaster inside VM.

Err, looks like you haven't get what i'm trying to explain. The soundcard in the VM is emulated as soundblaster. No matter what soundcard you install on your pc, it'll only be soundblaster inside VM.

I see. But then, since my Vm doesn't find the soundblaster driver in the XP package, where can i download this generic, if that is the correct term, standalone sound driver for the VM?

Have you installed the VMWare tools package? This will install drivers for the guest OS for you.

Yes, i did. That took care of the graphics, but not the sound.

I see. But then, since my Vm doesn't find the soundblaster driver in the XP package, where can i download this generic, if that is the correct term, standalone sound driver for the VM?Yes, i did. That took care of the graphics, but not the sound.

There's instruction for that in the link i posted on top, but it's not for XP. XP is suppose to have the driver. Anyway, it'll be applicable.