xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
robert2411

How To Make Windows Xp Faster

there's a very good program available, it's called 'a search robot'. Google for something like 'windows xp speed up boot' (or do a search on the forums), a lot of guides are available on the net and they usualy do tell you the same:1) use msconfig to stop useless applications from starting up2) stop useless services from starting3) defrag your hdd ...and a lot more tweaks

Wutske mentioned some of the very important aspects in improving your computers operating systems performance which are typing msconfig in the run prompt window and uncheck the start up or background programs from running during start up which will improve the start up speed for your computer. The next improtant thing to do to improve your computer would be to right click your c drive and do a diskcleap and check the stuff that deals with temporary cache and so on. And last but not least and also the most important aspect to improve your computers performance would be to defragment your computer. This will organize the data on your hardrive which is generally scattered on your hardrive during program installations. This defragment will organize the areas into the right sections and improve the paths so that your computer can communicate more effeciently.

ok thanksbut the computer wire i have the problem whit is fresh reinstalledthere is onlywindondows xp and the other stuf that installs outomaticlya anty virusmozilla firfoxsand i have alredy defragmentbut thanks for the tips

Buy and insert more ram. It can only go so fast. One thing I found, you shouldn't yet, is that the fans work, replacing the broken inside fan halved my start up times and shutdown is about 10x faster.

My recommendation would be to learn to interpret the output of autoruns (Sysinternals utility) and learn how to get rid of unwanted registry-based startup items (msconfig isn't as powerful as autoruns).

If you want something a little more painless than autoruns, use hijackthis combined with one of the online hijackthis logfile analyzers. They'll tell you what everything is.The other issue that can cause long startup delays is BHOs because they get loaded into memory along with the windows shell, not just IE.

Something that is worth noting is that you can't take a computer of a certain power, install newer and newer OS's, and expect similar results to previous versions. They release new versions of windows to implement new technologies that (as one would imagine) take more powerful systems to run. This also leads to more things needing to be tested, checked, set up, loaded, and run upon booting a system which all leads to a greater system boot time.Basically what I'm saying is, even on a freshly installed perfectly defragmented system, you'll always have a certain amount of time that the system takes to boot regardless of what you do. Past this installing lighter operating systems is really the only option if it is that important to you.

Here's what I do to keep my system speed optimized:-

Disable all optional services

Disable all optional services and only start them when needed. Some of the system services can be safely disabled. Interestingly, there is no specific minimum set of processes needed to run Windows XP. It is said to be dependent on the hardware. You can determine the minimum of your system by first trying to kill the processes from the Task Manager and then disabling the ones which caused no problems (A shutdown timer will be initiated on your machine, if you kill a necessary process.)

Defragment your Hard Disk

I use Diskeeper's Smart Scheduling to keep the Hard Disk defragmented. Some files such as the Paging file cannot be defragmented while Windows is running. This is where the boot time defragmentation comes in handy. Another benefit this tool has over the in-built Windows defragmenter is that it supports Hyper Threading.

Clean Your Registry

With use, the Windows registry gets cluttered with invalid keys and values. This is primarily because of the countless (un)installations the poor Windows has to live through. Keep the registry clean and compacted by using a software such as Registry Mechanic.

Remove Extra Fonts

Make sure you keep only the fonts you use because if you have too many fonts installed, boot times might be considerably longer. Read this article for more information.

Use Microsoft Bootvis

Although Microsoft has discontinued Bootvis, the useful tool is kept alive by the Internet community. Use it to analyse and optimize your system bootup time. It also shows various statistics which helps you determine where (Bios, Driver Loading, Logon, etc) your system is lagging behind.

Don't use an Antivirus/Internet Security

This is risky, but the perfomance gain is immense because they supervise almost all of your activities, be it copying a file, installing a software or browsing the internet.

Remove Login/Startup Sounds

The default system sounds cause minimal delays, but you might still want to disable them.

I have always found that it’s not the boot time that matters but the responsiveness of windows after it is booted. This matters even less if you do not reboot your computer everyday. Why obsess over an action that is only one half of one percent of the time that you spend on your computer anyway. My suggestion is to turn the computer on and go get a nice cup of coffee.My tweeking has always been geared toward getting the OS more functional once it has booted. Currently I don’t have much problem in this area as I have a fairly modern processor and more than enough RAM. (As mentioned earlier RAM is usually the key.) Fortunately keeping a smooth running system overlaps in many of the areas as speeding up boot times.•Get rid of all of those annoying programs that absolutely insist on installing at startup. This has already been covered well.•You can also kill some more obscure Windows services.•I like to use TweekUI from Microsoft.•Much of my tweeking goes into getting the OS just the way I like it. Enabling extra security, making the look and feel of XP more like 2000, and efficiently organizing my shortcuts.One point that turbo brought up was the firewall and antivirus. I will have to agree that these two programs will slow down your machine more than anything. You could have 100 startup programs and the combined effect will not come close to the processing power needed by a resource hogging antivirus application. In my honest opinion I can not recommend not going without antivirus. Instead I would recommend a light-weight antivirus and the standard Windows firewall. If you have Norton or McAfee then you have just identified your problem and finding a better antivirus will automatically cut 30 seconds from your boot time. I personally use Avast! But I know it is not the smallest or least resource hungry.My thinking is this. Why bother with 20 seconds during boot when you are wasting 30 minutes a day waiting for the hour glass to stop spinning or looking for a misplaced shortcut. Streamline your environment and you will same tons more time than fighting with the boot process.

How to create ghost file? That is question now. First you have to create image file for windows xp. U can use to create image file for norton.-Padmanaban

I find it useful to have different users to difererent tasks ie Games , Internet, office etc and only have services that you need. disable anti-virus if playing only games for example (notonline games)