xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Google Wants You To Share Stuff

Google has entered the social bookmarking market with a new product called Shared Stuff.
Shared Stuff is simple enough; users drag an "email / share" button into their browser, and click it when they want to add pages to their Shared Stuff profile. Links can include an image, text extract, and / or a user comment. The results can then be viewed directly, via iGoogle or RSS.

https://www.google.com/s2/sharing/stuff

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

So just a toolbar to add stuff to personalised Google homepages?Pretty crap, with js and the normal "Post this to - Facebook, delicous, Myspace, Google", it could already be done. Probably only in Opera, so these noobs at Google bypassed even an ff addon? It sounds bloated, hidden behind Google's sleek image.

Hahaha...amusing, but not that amusing. Google's Sharing ordeal probably won't make it big--this time Google isn't the innovator but rather the follower--it has decided to follow in the footsteps of delicious. Besides, unless Google adds a lot of new stuff, its sharing engine isn't much better than delicious's. (See, unless it offers something brilliantly different like Gmail, it won't be upheld before the masses.)

I'm guessing that Google's sharing will end up looking something like Google Video--a "failure" in comparison to Youtube.

Pretty crap, with js and the normal "Post this to - Facebook, delicous, Myspace, Google", it could already be done. Probably only in Opera, so these noobs at Google bypassed even an ff addon? It sounds bloated, hidden behind Google's sleek image.

Can be done in Firefox without Google too. Look at that plethora of extensions. Actually we have no idea if it's bloated, but I can definitely agree it's crap. I see no point in something like this when it's already been done before and can be easily accomplished without this option.
I'm not sure what Google's trying to accomplish--perhaps they're just running out of good ideas.