xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mink

Questionns About This Host Please respod

Thank you very much for taking the time to view this post. I have a few questions that I was unable to find elsewhere.Do you offer the ability to upload an existing domain name? I am sure I missed the answer to this question somewhere but I don't know.Also what is your usuall uptime? And I would like to hear from the users on this one, not the admin. At my old host I was constantly getting told that their uptime was 99.97% however the site monitored by siteuptime.net was constantly rating the site at 96% or lower. This was enough to make my users take notice.Do you offer paid hosting? I do wish to transfer to paid hosting again once my financial stats is straighened out. Moving the site again would be a pain though.Do you allow sites built in flash using a php database? Our target is to makeover the site and use the existing MySQL tables created by our old Mambo site for our new Flash front end so the site will be easier to update. I don't have much of the details yet because I am still in the process of learning how to do this.Also, do you offer forum credits to people who assist your members? I have been working in HTML for almost 10 years, and I would be happy to help out other members if I was able to get credit for it. I am also getting better versed in PHP, and I have professionally designed databases in Microsoft Access. I did not see a forum for that kind of help, but if there is one already existing if you can point me in the right direction I would be happy to become a member of this community.Thank you very much for offering this service to others. My site, while not tremendously popular, is important to me. Thanks for your time,MinkP.S. - Please excuse any typos or errors, I earlier took a large dose of medication and it's time for me to toddle off to bed. Thank you!

To clarify since that sounded greedy, I am happy to help anyone out, even not for credit. My schedule is a bit tense however but if anyone has a question about HTML or PHP, or MySQL feel free to PM or email me, and I would be happy to help. Thank you much and good night.

Hi MInk,Welcome aboard !!Will try to answer your questions in order.1) Yes, You can use Xisto to host your existing domain name.2) The up time seem to be excellent - ( I koined november '04). Can't give % but my site has never been offline.3) Yes, you can get paid hosting here (just ask admin in the forumns) OR you can get it at their affliaited //Xisto.com website.4) re: sites & flash .... Don't know- ask admin or post a new thread re: this question only.5) Forum credits are to anyone who posts to the forums. All posts are reviewed by the admins for disallowed content (spam, flames, profanity, plagarism etc.), otherwise you get your credits. Approx 1 days hosting per each post with at least 300 words.Hope this helpsRGPHNXPS- hope you decide to join the community here, could always use more experienced input.pps- no, i'm not affiliated with admin.. just a member :))

Thank you very much for the reply RGPHNX. Thi ssite sounds like it will be very valuable to me. Or at least I hope. My site is currently disable because I was unable to pay for my last hosting bill. :) I have had some pretty bad luck lately but it is nice to know there are those who look after the little people.elevenmil, can you be more specific about what you are interested in getting help with? That question is way too broad for me to answer without just pointing you at a tutorial website. Unfortunately I don't have the time to just teach someone everything.

The biggest problem with site uptime is new users start running faulty scripts, it does not take the site down but you may not be able to access it because the servers cpu cycles are used up by that user. We try to terminate those as soon as we see it but there are times that it will take awhile to get the mySQL databases working for everyone.

People with regular websites with no scripts or mySQL databses can still access the sites. When this happens most people can not access the cPanel until we reset everything. If you can access cPanel you may think your DB is deleted because it does not show up in the list. We tell people to be patient when this happens and not try to upload a backup because that will create another mess when we get back online.

As for the paid hosting, yes we do offer that https://xisto.com/ is our paid hosting service. All members using this should move their websites to this server because the uptime on the paid server is even better than the free hosting.

You can point your domain name to our domain name servers and when you register the user setup for domain name is the same as setting up for subdomain name. You can access your cPanel and website instantly, your users may have a problen for 24 to 48 hours while the DNS data propagates across the authorative name servers.

Nils