xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
skedad

After .htm Overwrite... Images Do Not Show Up

Hello! I am very excited about using Xisto. This may be a minor problem, but still a problem no less. I began by uploading my index page with approximately 3 or 4 jpegs. 3 are for my title image, and a fourth is like a banner. After previewing my page, I found that only my banner was shown, but yet all text, and background colors were visible. (I guess I can add that there was a fifth jpg... for my background.) I tried many things like renaming almost every file, double checking that everything was in the correct folders... and so on.To correct this problem, I recreated my index page from scratch. (Thankfully, it is only basic at this point.) I did not have to upload the jpegs again because there were already uploaded previously... all I planned to do was to delete the old index file, and just upload the fresh copy... BINGO! All of my title jpegs and banners and backgrounds were all there! I was excited again! So, I continued to update the TEXT so I could just update using HTML already available like horizontal bar. Everything was fine...The new problem that is finally being addressed... I have all of the previous jpegs and text showing. All I did this time in Dreamweaver was ADD 1 jpg. It was added along with previous data. I then upload the new jpg, and it sees it in the public folder. Then, I go ahead and overwrite the index with the new jpg added. I preview it, and all that I see is the browser placeholder with the X. The one not showing my picture... So I tried it both with Firefox and IExplorer. Both give me only placeholders. I click to VIEW PICTURE, and it comes up error. I go back through cPanel to double check to see if my jpg is still there... and it is good as gold...So I have everything uploaded and overwrited, but the problem is that at some point, new added nonHTML elements may not show up on updated [index] pages. I don't know what to do next, and I don't want to have to redo, or recreate, a page from scratch just for the host to see the updated change... So does this make sense, or is it crazed babble!!??Thank you for your time... I will still try to do what I can, but any comments, opinions and whatnot will be very helpful. I am not a first time user... so this is why it boggles me, so... It seems so basic, but enough to almost stop me in my tracks!- bob AKA skedad -(If I can add any more details, I certainly will try!)

well if you were using dreamweaver then maybe it changed the directory of the images it was coming from?probably not but just a theory thats always good to check, lol.wots the address of the site?also, jpegs arent exactly recomended to use on the internet.. png and gif is your best choice. change your images, only really use jpegs for photos i think.

well if you were using dreamweaver then maybe it changed the directory of the images it was coming from?
probably not but just a theory thats always good to check, lol.

wots the address of the site?

also, jpegs arent exactly recomended to use on the internet.. png and gif is your best choice. change your images, only really use jpegs for photos i think.

You know, I never tried using png... I always did jpg... but then again I was working with other media other than web design... I just always liked the quality of a jpg... So that is one good idea to begin with! I use gif on vector, or animated files and banners.

It seems directory wise that it sees the files... The interpreting aspect is what I am wondering... It has no problem recognizing HTML... And I would hate to have upload and embed using HTML... kinda kills the whole FTP and file managing all together! And I have to name drop geocities... but only a few days before switching to Xisto, I was still updating all of my site pages til the cows came home... Just now when I switched over it began...

my Xisto page is SKEMB -- The Official Home...

the banner that I planned on using... along side it being used as link... (which as I type COULD be a problem, also)... I am using the link map on Dreamweaver to make two links from the images from the jpg... Choose internet browser...

The links are active onsite, but the image still does not appear... it would be quite interesting if it wasn't so annoying!

Thanks for your input! It's always appreciated!
- bob -

all the pictures work for me except for banner_browser.jpgall the pictures are just coming from skemb.astahost.com (they are the ones that work) except banner_browser.jpg is coming from skemb.astahost.com/skemb_site but u have it uploaded to skemb.astahost.com (the main directory)u might want to move that.

skedad,Nice site! You have a beautiful family :blink:To fix your image, fixFROMimg src="../skemb_site/banner_browser.jpg"TOimg src="banner_browser.jpg"I believe in the making of your site using your program, the link was saved according to your file directory of your computer. In my opinion, whether JPG, PNG or GIF it does not matter. JPG is preferred mostly because you can compress the image without losing a whole lot of image "quality." JPG offers better compression (meaning smaller file size) so that it can load faster and still have a good quality of image (without distorting or losing detail).

JPG is good for photographies because of its quality of compression. However, if you are dealing with smaller/simpler images, such as vector art, logos etc, you are better of with GIF. Also, try to avoid PNG, as it is not properly rendered in IE6 and older.

All I have to say is WOW!

How cool is that to have a different pair of eyes to look into a problem... I just went back to the image field and deleted the skemb_site link... I guess I will have to be careful and not be in such a hurry next time...

As for file extensions, I believe I will stay with what I know.... BUT.... I also plan on doing some experiments with extensions and such in the near future...

I appreciate all of your help! And it was a minor problem, but now I can get back and get into my site! Thanks again...

And also, thanks for the nice compliment on my family! That's what I love hearing, and helps tremendously when making a family site!

Til next time...

- bob AKA skedad -