xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marcella

How Do People Sit In Front Of The Computer All Day Long?

I mean without it hurting physically. I'm on summer vaca. I have been on the computer more than usual (although I'm trying to cut down). Anyway, I know I get discomfort in my neck and hands when I'm on too long, so how are people able to do it everyday...like specifically people who work at jobs that requires them to be in front of the computer all day long?

yeah get comfortable and physically use it properly.good chair, monitor level with your eye, i saw on tv once how to use the mouse and keyboard properly.also i like it to always be cool, not freezing not hot. i just cant do anything when its boiling hot.i dont spend all day on the computer so it doesnt bother me, i only get on for 4 hours max on weekends and about 1 and a half - 2 hours a day on weekdays (at home, at school i use them depending on wot class i have that day)

For the last 5 years or so, I have been spending loads of time with my computer. I can't say that I maintain the perfect posture while doing so, infact the beating my body has taken ever since, should have caused some sort of problem. I do maintain the right amount of light while operating and have setup the monitor to operate on extremely low contrast & brightness settings. This helps a lot and I rarely have any optical problems due to it. I believe, the eyes are relatively safe, if you are just doing the developer stuff. It is when you become a hardcore gamer and expose yourself to all kinds of continuously changing lighting effects, that you are in trouble. Extensive usage of mouse and keyboard are the biggest problems. Sometimes, they last for a few days and doing the daily routine becomes difficult. But, cutting back on usage eventually makes it go away.

I can be on the computer for over 10 hours each and every day (work and home). As said earlier, take frequent breaks and have good posture while using the computer. I disobey all the rules and have small tensions near my shoulders from time to time LOL. Body is probably adjusting to my habits by now.If I'm working on something that I find interesting (some coding project or others), I can sit for hours working on the project. Usually my eyes go out first before my wrist or fingers get tired from typing (which usually never happens in my case).

lol i never even realised the eye problem, lol.i want to keep my "20 20 vision" the optometrist (is that how its spelt) sed i have perfect eyes!

You get used to it :blink: . Getting a laptop is a good thing, I'm now sitting quite relaxed in the sofa, much better for my back I guess (probably worse for my wrists, especialy since I've already had RSI problems with my wrists :D )

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

I have a reclining office chair and wireless peripherals...I never have any time where I'm uncomfortable...just change positions often and you won't get repetitive strain injuries.

i dont get strain from it at all, lol im not comfortable arm but meh, im finealthough lately i have started hating the keyboard cos im too lazy to move my hands, lmao, i rather a mouse, or better voice, though i dont have the voice recognition thing (i wish i did)

Im on the computer almost all day and night but I do occasionally take breaks to keep my blood going. My reason for being on the computer all day and night is because I am a computer programmer and well I use a computer and it requires me to sit near one for me to get my job done. But when I get home I continue to improve my skills by doing research which further requires me to use a computer even out of work. I just make sure that I take breaks when necessary and get some excercise in because sitting on your butt all day and night doesnt actually help your heath. So if I ever feel a strain or ache from sitting too long with a computer I would generally get up and move around to stretch my legs and get that blood flowing. Certain occupations just keeps you glued to the computer certain occupations require nothing to do with a computer but that is just how the world turns and unfortunately people like me will be glued to the computer twenty four seven...

Im on the computer almost all day and night but I do occasionally take breaks to keep my blood going. My reason for being on the computer all day and night is because I am a computer programmer and well I use a computer and it requires me to sit near one for me to get my job done. But when I get home I continue to improve my skills by doing research which further requires me to use a computer even out of work. I just make sure that I take breaks when necessary and get some excercise in because sitting on your butt all day and night doesnt actually help your heath. So if I ever feel a strain or ache from sitting too long with a computer I would generally get up and move around to stretch my legs and get that blood flowing. Certain occupations just keeps you glued to the computer certain occupations require nothing to do with a computer but that is just how the world turns and unfortunately people like me will be glued to the computer twenty four seven...

That's definitely an example of sitting in front of the computer all day. And its perfectly great to continuously improve your skill and that's what normal programmer do.
Was once like you but its too much load for doing that. I've given up quite a bit of stuff that I should do for keeping myself up-to-date in the latest technology and news. But not now. Work is just work. :D Free time will be doing something that don't deal with computers. :blink:

I have used to computer religiously for many years now. I have had many PCs in my lifetime, but the computers in the past have been used for game play. We are talking playing the Tandy 1000 when I was younger for MS DOS gaming.I began seriously using the computer when I was in college [the first time] when I began learning Adobe Photoshop in art school. I used a 3.1, but did not have the capacity to do anything really important on it while learning my craft. I would have LOVED to have something new at the time, but yet, all I did with my 3.1 was play Tetris, or try to compete with my Photoshop skills using Paint.When I bought my first real PC, I was staying with my sister, and had VERY limited space. I used an endtable with a cabinet to setup my PC. Now this goes along with not using the PC comfortably. I would sit on the couch (which also was my bed) and manned my workstation from there. So I was using my lap for the keyboard, which would sit up on my monitor when I was finished. The excitement of having my new PC [with Win95] was enough for me to not be so concerned for comfort... and I would play on it a few hours in a day.Fast forward to working on a PC at a job, and beginning to learn how to setup computers, and learning more and more about them, had me on the computer longer, and more often. I think users do the PC for what they like... and there is an increase in young people over the more adult users. This is more of the computer generation over the last. I was able to get into computers when I was younger, but not everyone did at my age.Ok, so I could write a whole book on what the computer means to me and how I use it efficiently. I think that if you can setup your computer with the hardware and equipment working properly, a user would be on the PC much longer than they would imagine. I bought Captain's chairs for each station in my home, so my family and I can work on the PC in comfort.I use the PC for emailing, web design, internet, Photoshopping... and even though I don't do it as much, game play.