xisto Community
Ghost1405241549

I Need A New Video Card

Im looking for a video card that can handle all the next gen games. I was looking in the G-force region. Well if youve got ides for me can you also tell me if id need to upgrade my power supply also. ty

Interestingly enough I been talking gfx cards on Xisto and it falls in the line of gaming. If your looking in the Geforce cards plan to spend some good cash, because you would want to look at the 8800GTS, 8800GTX, and the 8600GTS series cards. I would check out newegg.com video card section to take a look what they have and compare prices. Then go to Cnet to check out to see if they have a benchmark for that card or just google the card with benchmark in the search.

Yeah, you are pretty much looking at buying as recent as possible card.Although I have heard of and read considerable talk about DirectX 10 based cards not performing well as opposed to DirectX 9 based cards (I think that applies to games not built with DirectX 10 in mind, which are still being made of course).So in the way of nVidia, I would say you'd be looking at the top DirectX 9 or DirectX 10 cards. Have a look around newegg maybe, they have reviews and stuff too (I think the site is popular with americans).

If you're looking for a Geforce card for the purposes of playing the next gen games, you definitely want something in the 8 series. Which one depends on how serious you are about the graphics quality and frame rate of your games, as well as your budget. The high end 7 series are also good cards, and are very cheap now that the 8 series is out, but they don't have hardware support for DirectX 10. This doesn't mean they can't play DX10 games, they just won't be as fast at it as the DX10 cards such as the 8 series.~Viz

Have a look around newegg maybe, they have reviews and stuff too (I think the site is popular with americans).

More like Obsessed with it :blink:, since I pretty much tell everyone regardless where they live to. If you don't shop at newegg still good place to go to get a good start on what to look for in prices and whats out.

You're better off going with ATI at this point...they're much more open with their drivers now, so there will be excellent linux ATI drivers and people will be able to create custom windows drivers as well.

You're better off going with ATI at this point...they're much more open with their drivers now, so there will be excellent linux ATI drivers and people will be able to create custom windows drivers as well.

Although NVidia drivers aren't open, they have full support for the cards capabilities in Linux. Also, due to the way NVidia does drivers and cards now, it is more likely that new drivers will benefit your card than ATIs under Linux. My understanding is that although ATI drivers are more open, the NVidia drivers still work better.
~Viz

Personally i prefer nvidia over ati, if your desperate for one now get an 8800gtx or gts depending on your performance tastes. Just remember though, the new 9 series (yes 9 series) is comming out in november this year which is ~2 months away. First card to come out is the 9800gtx that will retail around the mid/high end range in your country.It has full support for DX10.1 and even more power than the 8800gtx, i'd rather wait 2 months for a card that will last quite a few years rather than get one now that won't last as long.Also, for power supply you'd probably be better off going for a 650-700W PSU. The one i have lined up is the 750W Thermaltake toughpower that will provide more than enough power for my high end gaming pc plus lots of room for upgrade.Get brand name power supplies, they are more efficient and personally i don't trust generic brand power supplies with high end components. Depending on your CPU as well, you might only need a PSU between 500-550W if it has a high efficiency rating.Hope it helps-HellFire

Don't just 'buy' the latest card or a random that meets requirements. There are several ranges of Graphics card such as

"Do your job well, best bang for your buck"

"That card that does it 2% better and costs $150 more"

"That ridiculously overpriced card that won't reach its maximum capabilities for you."

Needless to say, stick to the first mentioned category. I recommend Tom's Hardware site

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/

They have a very good monthly review of graphics card, with their performances tested and the best pick for each card in each price category. Get your pick for which price you're willing to pay for it, and you can see what that card is capable of. Posted ImageHere is the September 07 review:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(In case you wait long with your purchase, consult the October review of course).

I still rather suggest an ATi card better since it has extra processors to offload the physics calculations and etc. off the CPU, which is better in performance than anything NVIDIA can do since it's basically a renderer.Even Folding@Home takes advantage of ATi's processors.xboxrulz