xisto Community
donitoz

Best Free Anti-virus Program NID UR ADVISE PLS. HELP

Well I use Lavasoft Ad-aware SE. It is very nice, free and allows you to run quick effective scans. The scans it runs are many times faster then the scans that Nortin Anti-Virius runs. Ad-aware also has the following features:
-Full Scan- This will scan all of your C: drive. You can change it to scan a flash drive E:, Floppy A: or a CD D:. It is fairly fast and effective but sometimes is not needed for major threats.
-Quick Scan- A quick scan is very fast and seems to find major threats like adware, maleware and spyware. It also checks in your cookies for some that could cause popups ect.
-Personal Scan- This will allow you to make your own scan. You can scan in some folders only and scan your ram for un-wanted prosses. This is the fastest scan and in my option reacomended every time you start up. Simply because it makes sure that you dont have spyware and the fact that it only takes a few secounds to run an effective scan.

Once viriuses are found you can delete them or quarantine them (in case they actually are files you want). This is all on the free version. The website to download is: LavaSoft. But some of the features are not availble in the 2007 edition. You will need to get the older edition (SE). This edition still recieves updates and is only slightly less secure then the new one. I would recomend this unless you really want the best protection out there. Ad-aware SE can be downloaded from: Snap Files.

Well I use Lavasoft Ad-aware SE. It is very nice, free and allows you to run quick effective scans. The scans it runs are many times faster then the scans that Nortin Anti-Virius runs. Ad-aware also has the following features:

-Full Scan- This will scan all of your C: drive. You can change it to scan a flash drive E:, Floppy A: or a CD D:. It is fairly fast and effective but sometimes is not needed for major threats.

-Quick Scan- A quick scan is very fast and seems to find major threats like adware, maleware and spyware. It also checks in your cookies for some that could cause popups ect.

-Personal Scan- This will allow you to make your own scan. You can scan in some folders only and scan your ram for un-wanted prosses. This is the fastest scan and in my option reacomended every time you start up. Simply because it makes sure that you dont have spyware and the fact that it only takes a few secounds to run an effective scan.

Once viriuses are found you can delete them or quarantine them (in case they actually are files you want). This is all on the free version. The website to download is: LavaSoft. But some of the features are not availble in the 2007 edition. You will need to get the older edition (SE). This edition still recieves updates and is only slightly less secure then the new one. I would recomend this unless you really want the best protection out there. Ad-aware SE can be downloaded from: Snap Files.

Adaware is NOT a virusscanner nor does it protect you from virusses. Adaware is -as it's name implies- a program that looks for adware, this is something completely different than a virus.

My personal favorite is Avast, though it's results aren't the best of the crowd (I had a link to a document that compared all the available scanning engines, but I can't find it anymore :blink: ).

It proves these programs:

Open Antivirus:

OpenAntiVirus is not another virus scanner to put on a computer! OpenAntiVirus is a platform for people seriously interested in anti-virus research, network security and computer security to communicate with each other, to develop solutions for various security problems, and to develop new security technologies.

http://www.openantivirus.org/

and:

ClamAV:

ClamAV application is primarily for unix based systems but now a windows version is available. This version needs a emulation layer like CygWin

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And also in your PC it could not lack good firewall:

SoftPerfect Personal Firewall:

The SoftPerfect Personal Firewall is a free network firewall designed to protect your PC against attacks from the Internet or via a local area network. SoftPerfect Personal Firewall offers customizable security using user-defined rules for packet filtering. It works at a low level and also allows you to create rules based on non-IP protocols such as ARP.

https://www.softperfect.com/

I hope serve these tools to you that are totally free.

BitDefender 9 Standard is inexpensive, easy to use, and effective at detecting malware threats; as a result, it earned PC World's Best Buy distinction in "The New Virus Fighters" roundup of ten antivirus products.Top-ranked in our performance tests, BitDefender 9 achieved the best scores in our heuristics tests--detecting 43 percent of worms and 57 percent of backdoor programs using one-month-old virus data and 18 percent of worms and 42 percent of backdoors using two-month-old virus data. It also earned top-notch scores in our zoo tests, catching more than 93 percent of the backdoors, bots, and Trojan horses. However, BitDefender's scan-speed results ranked second to last, averaging just over 9 minutes and 16 seconds to scan the files on our test PC.BIT DEFENDER THE BEST ;)

On my old computer i used to use free protection programs but i use payed ones now on this computer

The programs i used to use were:
Firewall - Zonealarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/
Antivirus - AVG - free.grisoft.com
Antispyware - AdAware - http://www.lavasoft.com/

Not sure if they are still all free but they should be, they provided my old computer with a pretty tight protection system and working together i didn't notice many slowdowns, other programs like norton would take about 5 minutes to start up (had a 1ghz processor back then).

Right now i use norton internet security and i'm really going to change to the zonealarm security suite when my years subscription finishes, norton isn't the best - i've actually found a trojan running and took the steps to remove it myself. Also it does cause some major slowdowns, i liked it when even my old computer boots up fast and you can get online fast.
Also i'm a fan of the new game mode zone labs have implemeted, so just another reason why i'm going to get it.

Hope it helps
-HellFire

Just anti virus alone, I would recommend Avast 4.7. Here is the site to download
https://www.avast.com/index

Previously had used quite a number of anti-virus, include those commercial ones. But some are good but too heavy to run in my computer.

If you want to use norton, don't use. It loads slow which take up most of your memory during startup and moreover, it didn't clear some of the virus in my computer even you've update the virus definition.

AVG are pretty good too. But just didn't have enough features for my use. With Avast, you can specify which engine to run ur scan. There's a total of 6 scanning engine for each specific task. So if you want to really protect your PC, that will be recommended.

Anyway I don't work for Avast. Just giving my 2 cents. ;)
Hope it help.

id say either avast or avg if you want something free.i have pc cilling internet security though. $150 AUSD i think it was. although its pricey it works really well and ive never had a problem with it and had 2 viruses since i got it (some trojan and a boot sector virus).

I prefer Antivir. Its low on system resources, simple looking, and I've read repeatedly that it usually preforms the best in performance tests of all the free antivirus programs. Although not every performance test is the same.

Edited by ChrisAF07 (see edit history)

I like AVG it seams to offer good protection and has regular updates. AVG updates itself constantly - every time You switch the computer on. I've been using it for two years, and so far not one virus has got past it. It monitors for virus activity constantly , and also scans emails for viruses The only minus point is that the full system check does slow the computer down for about 20 mins, but I bet the expensive anti-virus packages do the same. Frankly, it's worth being patient with it for peace of mind. i would rate it as follows out of 10Value 10performance 9ease of use 10speed 7Highly recommended .

CA Internet Security is great, but when I first installed it onto my computer, I noticed a drastic change in the speed. After a while it seemed to wear off, or I just got used to it, but I haven't had any virus problems since I got it.

well i tried avast home edition wich is free and i like very much...its simple and very efficient..but eset nod32 continue being the best in my opinion

I suggest you use the free avg and i think the free new trial has just been released. By the way virus programs dont detect evry virys on your computer so take care to scan it every so ofetn to make sure your pc is completely virus free