xisto Community
Steven9088

Filezilla Client

FileZilla is a powerful FTP-client for Windows NT4, 2000 and XP. It has been designed for ease of use and with support for as many features as possible, while still being fast and reliable. (See FileZilla history for more information)

This guide will help you to configure and use FileZilla.

The main features of FileZilla are:

Ability to resume Uploads/Downloads (if the server supports it)

Custom Commands

Site Manager with folders

Keep Alive system

Timeout detection

Firewall support

SOCKS4/5 and HTTP1.1 Proxy support

SSL secured connections

SFTP support

Upload/Download Queue

Drag&Drop

Multi-language support

GSS authentication and encryption using Kerberos

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Operating Guide:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This guide gives you a short overview on how to use FileZilla. By default you don't have to configure FileZilla, so you can start directly working with the program.

1. Connecting to an FTP server

To connect to an FTP server, enter the address of the server into the host field of the Quickconnect bar. If it is a special server type like an SFTP server, add the protocol in front of the address. In case of an SFTP server, start the address with 'sftp://'. Enter the port of the server into the port field if it is not the default port (21 for FTP, 22 for SFTP). If a username / password is required, enter it in the corresponding fields. Click on Quickconnect or press Enter to connect to the server.

Posted Image

2. Navigating on the server

After a successful connection attempt, a list of files and folders appears on the right side of the main window. The current folder is listed in the edit field on the top. You can change the current folder by double-clicking a folder or by entering the folder name into the edit field and pressing enter. You may also right-click the file and folder list and select Open from the context menu to change the current folder. You will notice a folder called ".." displayed in all directories. This folder allows you to go up to the parent directory of the current folder.

Posted Image

3. Navigating on your machine

Navigating on your machine works almost like navigating on the server. There's only one addition: The folders on your machine are arranged in a tree for faster navigation. A tree is also availabe for the remote side, but it is hidden by default. The remote tree can be shown anytime by clicking on the remote tree icon in the toolbar Posted Image.

To change the current folder either on your machine or on the server, just select a tree item in the appropriate tree.

Posted Image

4. Transferring files

You can upload or download a file by double-clicking on it. It will be added to the transfer queue and the transfer starts automatically. To transfer folders and/or multiple files, select them and right-click the selection. Then you can click on Upload/Download in the popup menu.

Posted Image

You can also drag the files from one side and drop them on the other side. To add files to the queue so that they will be transferred later, select them and click Add to Queue from the popup menu. You may also drag the files directly into the queue. Click on the Posted Imagebutton on the toolbar to start the transfer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

To Go To The Download Page Click Here!

Data Collected From filezilla[dot]sourceforge[dot]net

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)

I really started to like new Tabs feature of FileZilla. I constantly connect to more than one server and now it doesn't clutter my desktop (just like browsers with tabs).

Here is little example of how it looks (just googled):

Posted Image

Love using Filezilla...although I've never tried any other FTPs, it's rather simple to use after getting the account(s) setup. Sometimes I wish there was an easy way to sync the folders so that when I click on "images" directory in the local it will also do the same on the remote (or maybe I've simply forgotten how/where to do this).

I really started to like new Tabs feature of FileZilla. I constantly connect to more than one server and now it doesn't clutter my desktop (just like browsers with tabs).

Which version of FileZilla are you using ? I don't have this with my 2.2.32 FileZilla, when I want to reach another site it asks "Do you want to break current connection?"

I have it in 3.3.1 for sure...I never even knew it existed until now, when I tried opening multiple connects at the same time (HINT: the tabs don't show when they're by themselves, at least not by default). Anyways...this is a really fascinating feature I never heard of before!

Got it now.When connected with the new version, if you enter a new server address, you are asked if you want to close the current connection or if you want to open the new connection in a new tab.

Didn't spot the post, but yes, I'm trying to always use the latest stable version of Filezilla, I guess in version 2.x it didn't have this feature, but I'm using FileZilla Client 3.3.2 and it's great ;)