xisto Community
Lev

Youcan Save Energy When Your Computer Is Idle Software that will save your energy

I don't quite trust those software, especially when they are bundled with other things like toolbars and etc. Plus, another way to save energy is to actually shutoff your computer when not in use or instead of having ur computer run 100% on ur processor when idle will actually reduce heat and cut down energy usage!

Yeah, when I don't use my computer I just shut it off. It's different with my laptops though because I always put it on sleep. It's cool because one of my newer laptops, I can close the lid, and take the battery out and disconnect it any power source, and I can put it back in, and it will turn back on without booting so it uses no energy when I put it on sleep. I don't really trust this program either.. I should test it out first and see if it actually does anything.

Kinda useless imho, the only thing it does is changing the windows power management settings and that's something I can do myself w/o any trouble :blink: . Plus, the calculation of how much CO2 you've saved can never be correct (I doubt the app can calculate how much power your computer draws ... and it doesn't even know how much your monitor draws (CRT vs. LCD is a huuuuuge difference)).

I think that tool may be good but not at all!!!

THERE IS ALREADY AN STANDARD
Those tools look like commercial things to "make me feel better". Did you remember Energy Star?, is an EPA standard to prevent pollution. Hardware manufactures must comply those EPA standards. Additionally a big majority of BIOS have energy saving options pre-configured.

PREVENT ANOTHER KIND OF CONTAMINATION
If a software like "SNAP" isn't well configured, you may damage your hardware and put your HD, Ram or Mainboard directly in the trash, that means more pollution.

Anyway, if a single computer software may save pollution, image what you are able to do if you install this one in your mind.

Blessings!

I think that tool may be good but not at all!!!
THERE IS ALREADY AN STANDARD
Those tools look like commercial things to "make me feel better". Did you remember Energy Star?, is an EPA standard to prevent pollution. Hardware manufactures must comply those EPA standards. Additionally a big majority of BIOS have energy saving options pre-configured.

PREVENT ANOTHER KIND OF CONTAMINATION
If a software like "SNAP" isn't well configured, you may damage your hardware and put your HD, Ram or Mainboard directly in the trash, that means more pollution.

Anyway, if a single computer software may save pollution, image what you are able to do if you install this one in your mind.

Blessings!

The BIOS energy savings are overruled by windows afaik. The only thing people need is some sensibilisation, it's been said more than often, but everything you have to do is to completely power off your tv, hifi and computer when you don't need it. This doesn't mean you may not put your computer in standby if you don't need it for an hour, but at least turn everything else off. Same thing overnight, turn everything off (even better, connect all your equipment to a switch that you can toggle off when you go to sleep).
About damaging your hardware, it's in fact true, but it wears out sooner rather than killing it instantly :blink: . Constantly starting and stopping a hdd is not good, constantly powering on and off the backlight of an LCD screen is bad, ...