xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Not a Robot

Install New Fonts on Windows XP / 98

Having a great arsenal of fonts is a must in web design. If you have a personal web page, having unique fonts on your site will set your site apart from all the other personal web sites out there.

Downloading new fonts is simple. Browse Google for some sites that have free fonts. To download the font, click the appropriate system type (usually pc or mac) that you'll have the font on. Fonts normally come compressed as either .zip or .rar . Extract the fonts to a directory on your desktop named "New Fonts." Note: Supported font types for Windows are .ttf, .fon, and .otf .

To install the fonts:

XP

Open up the folder that you've stored all your fonts in ("New Fonts"). Drag it aside so that your "My Computer" icon is visible. Double-click on "My Computer" > "Local Disk (C:)" > "WINDOWS" > "Fonts" . Click on your "New Fonts" folder to bring it to the forefront (make sure the "Fonts" folder is showing a bit). Press Ctrl+Alt (Select All). Drag and drop the fonts from your "New Fonts" folder into the Windows "Fonts" folder.

The same as XP, except you'll find your "Fonts" folder in your "Control Panel." Start > Settings > Control Panel > Fonts.

After all the fonts have been installed, I suggest backing up your new fonts by burning them to a CD-RW (CD-RW will allow you to add more fonts to the CD in the future). That way, you have a CD dedicated to fonts, and you won't have to worry about finding them all over again if you have to format your hard drive.

Note: With WinZip, it is possible to drag and drop fonts into your system "Fonts" folder directly from the WinZip pane. You can still open a compressed folder in Windows XP without using WinZip. However, you'll have to drag and drop the font from the compressed folder to anywhere else on your system; hence, that's why I just used the "New Fonts" folder as the standard way of storing your fonts. Please be respectful of the font author's wishes in the Read Me file. They've worked hard to bring you a unique font.

Install away!

Brad

Nice tutorial for newbees. I recommend http://www.dafont.com/de/ for over 4500 of free fonts. A little note though, if you want to add fonts from Winzip, Winrar or any other archive extracting program, remember to go to your fonts folder and refresh the folder (press F5) to install the fonts. Sometimes fonts don't work when you don't do this.

Someone tell me, if you select a different font to be on your site, that you have installed on your computer, will it be viewed the same to everyone else? Or will it look like the regular Times New Roman?

ex.

font-family: HANA;

^-- CSS code on my stylesheet (just a lil bit of it)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

^-- Do me a favor and visit my site, tell me if my site shows a different-ish font, with a distinct difference from Times New Roman.

Panda

If you select a custom font and put it in your stylesheet, only visitors who have the same font installed view your site with that font. You can however provide an alternative font, like this:

font-family: HANA, Arial, "Times New Roman";
or whatever fonts you like. If you really want to display your website using the HANA font, you could use a technique called sIFR to do it. This technique uses javascript to replace text with flash, and everyone who has javascript and flash enabled will see your chosen font. You would have to make a custom flash file though, with the HANA font in it. See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for the code and help on how to make your own font flash file.

a must for any photoshop user. :)

65715[/snapback]

Your absolute right B)

I recommend the site 1001 Fonts to download your fonts. A great site, with on your right the menu, where the fonts are sorted by kind (handwritten fonts are great :) )