xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ronel

Q: How Can I Delete Installation Entries? entries installed from a .msi file

I'm wondering....
How can I delete installation entries?

To tell you all the truth, I already know how to hide installation entries 90%, I just use the CCleaner!

But the problem is...I can't use the the CCleaner to delete .msi installation entries!How? Or tell me if entries installed from .msi files just can't be deleted.

Note:

(.msi) files are Windows Installation Packages. Just download a .msi file and see it for yourself!

Registry is the main part here, i know of tools that can search for invalid registry uninstall information but can't remember the product as of this time.If you look in the registry, perform a search for the file/entry in effect and give it a small tweak. Make sure you backup your registry. There should be heaps and heaps of tutorials on this sort of stuff on google, but it's pretty straightforward. Just make sure you don't change things you don't know of.-HellFire

I assume you mean the entries in the Add/Remove Programs panel right?

It's really not that difficult to do this in the registry. Go to Start->Run and type in regedit and hit OK. Then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Open up each of those keys and double click on DisplayName to find out what program they belong to. Once you find the one you want to get rid of, just go back up one level/directory and delete the entire key that has that DisplayName value in it.

I can't stress this enough...make sure you do a backup of your registry before doing anything in it. You can do the backup by going to File->Export and save it somewhere safe (another partition or better yet, a CD). You can also create a new system restore point. That should do the trick :blink:

If you still find it unfriendly to touch the registry, then try using Delete Add or Remove Programs List Entries Software:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's not free, but it should do the job you want.

The question I have to ask is "why are you tampering with the registry?"Sure, you can cleanup leftover files from programs that aborted suddenly or were coded sloppily, but altering the registry just doesn't strike me as being a brilliant idea. I've had to clean it so many times I've lost count, but I use a program that's dedicated to doing that - RevoUninstaller rings a bell when I try to think of the name - and don't go in to the registry personally.Still, there's probably some little aspect that I have no idea about. :D Anyway, if you're trying to clean up your registry give RevoUninstaller (or something like that) a go. It's freeware, and does quite a lot of other useful things too. :blink:

The question I have to ask is "why are you tampering with the registry?"
Sure, you can cleanup leftover files from programs that aborted suddenly or were coded sloppily, but altering the registry just doesn't strike me as being a brilliant idea. I've had to clean it so many times I've lost count, but I use a program that's dedicated to doing that - RevoUninstaller rings a bell when I try to think of the name - and don't go in to the registry personally.

Still, there's probably some little aspect that I have no idea about. :D

Anyway, if you're trying to clean up your registry give RevoUninstaller (or something like that) a go. It's freeware, and does quite a lot of other useful things too. :blink:

Sorry, I do not like to tamper with the registry.
I only use the CCleaner to delete installation entries.
And tampering the registry directly is dangerous!

Sorry, I do not like to tamper with the registry.I only use the CCleaner to delete installation entries.
And tampering the registry directly is dangerous!

Ah, good good. Anyway, I'm going to find somewhere to put the link to Revo Uninstaller (why I thought the name didn't have a space I'll never know) in a relevant thread. I'll edit this once I'm done so you can have a look. It's great for cleaning up stuff other than registry entires as well. :D

EDIT: Revo Uninstaller thread :blink:
Edited by Mordent (see edit history)

the best way is doing manually, because this way u learn more and faster.. try to do what weaponX said.. to do this(if u dont know) open the registry editor(click on Start -> Run... then type regedit and enter) search the entries that u want to delete and do this..

but if u cant do this try to use some programs that do for u... the best what i know is Marcos Velasco RegClean, thats a brazilian program, but haves the english version ("http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/") and another language version (spanish, portuguese(Portugal), french, italian, etc) and for deficient appearances too (just to know.. hauihish) [http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/].

well, its ur choice.. good lucky