xisto Community
iGuest

Using Php With A Mail Server

We all know you can use PHP with a web server, but can you use it with a mail server?

I've made a personal messenger system, and I was thinking about adding additional functionality in the future, such as the ability to send mail from it. Then I started thinking, would it be possible to recieve mail with it? Say, have a PHP script that checked when a message arrived at the server, and when it does, check for something in the message (e.g. "pmsystem-to: admin") that would tell it to send it to a certain user, and then have it do the scripts to send a PM.

So, is it possible to do this with a mail server? Because it really would be something cool that you don't see in many PM systems

im not sure if this is wot u want, and im not sure how to do it...but, this forum sends an email when u get a PM. if uve ever gotten a pm then u get an email telling you.jay i gather u no that so yeah.so if thats wot u wanted (although it more than likely isnt) then its possible!

We all know you can use PHP with a web server, but can you use it with a mail server?

I've made a personal messenger system, and I was thinking about adding additional functionality in the future, such as the ability to send mail from it. Then I started thinking, would it be possible to recieve mail with it? Say, have a PHP script that checked when a message arrived at the server, and when it does, check for something in the message (e.g. "pmsystem-to: admin") that would tell it to send it to a certain user, and then have it do the scripts to send a PM.

So, is it possible to do this with a mail server? Because it really would be something cool that you don't see in many PM systems

Well, yes, it is possible to do what you want to do, for sending emails you use the mail() php function, for receiving sorry but i don't know how you can do it, also, i know that there are a lot of scripts out there that are capable to check POP3 and SMTP servers.

Take a look at the PHP Classes website, you can find there what you need.

Best regards,