xisto Community
crime_genius86

Livecd How about livecd?

i only ever use live cds if i want to use linux.i have centOS installed on my other hard drive but i cant remember the last time i used it. its not exactly wot u would call a good distro.live cds are a nice way of using linux without having to put much effort or anything in to getting it working, just have to remember to burn an image, not data.

Livecd's are useful for many reasons, you can try an OS you are considering installing. but they can also be used for debugging purposes. if you are having real trouble with your computer or just can't boot or access your files, and you don't have another computer to hook your HDD up to to access the files, you can boot into a livecd to access those files and back them up. I have done it before on my friends computer. his HDD had bad sectors and it wouldn't boot, I booted it from the livecd and was able to back up the data on alternative media so he wouldn't loose it :P

Jeps, I use livecd's almost exclusively for debugging and repairing computers :P . I have livecd's of many different linux distributions, a live cd with windows on it and a live cd with dos-like applications with many low-level tests and diagnostic tools :P

I can admit that LiveCDs of Linux distributions (or sometimes even Windows distributions e.g. Norton Ghost recovering CD) come in very handy if you need to recover files when your default operating system is unable to boot up, or even conduct essential computer diagnostics. For example, when one of my hard disks failed (containing the boot volume of Windows Vista), although I was unable to recover files, I was able to diagnose that the hard disk was not functional, and that it was not the boot sector or volume that was corrupted.Before the time of the LiveCDs, I used to keep a trusty floppy disk with MS-DOS and a NTFS driver as a diagnostic and recovery tool, in the days when I was using operating systems such as Windows Me and Windows 2000. Nowadays, most computers and notebooks do not come with a floppy disk drives, and LiveCDs and even recovery partitions of exisitng Hard Disk Drivers have become more popular as recovery media and options.

it's awesome... especially for Linux which has a tremendous amount of distributions... it's a brilliant idea and i' always use it for peeking into a new distribution upgrade before actually installing it... when i wanna try a Distribution i always have the sequence of Live CD quick try out, then if i wanna go further i'd install it as a Virtual Machine for some more thorough look, then if i like it enough with a satisfactory level then i'd install it on my Computer... (usually do this for upgrades)

LiveCD's are great for many different reasons, although like was said before the most common livecd is obviously linux distributions. Wether it be someone using Slitaz (a 2.2.0 kernel aircrack-ng specific distro, even though highly unstable if you open the KDE desktop), Backtrack4 (for more sophisticated penetration testing) or some other version of linux used to recover files and documents from a corrupt system. Sorry to list the penetration versions of linux, but these are the ones I am most familiar with for testing the security of my own systems. I also used to use a distribution of redhat linux on my first laptop after I destroyed the hard disk in it. I disconnected the docking station by mistake while the laptop was still switched on and it wrecked the hdd. I was still able to make the laptop useful for watching movies on and such with the livecd since I didn't need a hdd to run it and I could even remove the cd from the drive and run a dvd after loading the media player into the memory along with the OS. It ran just fine as long as I replaced the livecd before attempting to do anything else after watching the dvd. Even browsing the web was somewhat effortless on a livecd, although I had to disable caching for obvious reasons and occasionally reboot the system after a stack overflow or the RAM was filled, but even then the reboot time would be considerably less than booting WindowsME (the latest version of Windows home releases at the time).

livecd is a good os for someone, that just wanna try the OS without install it.. can be direct boot from cd... not only for os trial..its also can be a mobile OS... ;)

LiveCD could be used in virtual box and act like a full operation system

LiveCD could be used in virtual box and act like a full operation system

true however allocating disk space for the virtual box and installing an OS would be far more beneficial in terms of memory allocation as emulating a LiveCD inside a virtual environment can be a significant drain of resources, more so than usual than when emulating a fully installed operating system.
Edited by 8ennett (see edit history)

WIndows XP was made for USB 2GB by one of the hacker group and hosted on old 9down site AFAIK. I don't know if those images still exist. Those were illegal hacks but are hacks that worked nonetheless. There is also barts boot cd which shows how to make window based live cds for win98/2k/. I am not sure if there are windows xp version of those boot cds. As the methods were illegal many people preferred to take down those files and tutorials. The reason apple and windows don't want to make USB or LIve cd for their OS is by doing that they are going to lose the business. Both windows and mac have secure boot feature which restricts emulation of installed OS on another drive. I am not sure how much microsoft plans to have cd/dvds anymore. If they allow network installation then surely cds/usb for installation will not be possible. There was a news for windows 8 usb or handy soft installation but not much coverage by many people due to rants around metro UI.

I am not sure how much microsoft plans to have cd/dvds anymore. If they allow network installation then surely cds/usb for installation will not be possible.

CD/USB installs will still be necessary for customers who don't want their servers to be on the Internet, for safety reasons. Then, if Crosoft wants to sell Windows, these customers will have CD's or USB tools.

CD/USB installs will still be necessary for customers who don't want their servers to be on the Internet, for safety reasons. Then, if Crosoft wants to sell Windows, these customers will have CD's or USB tools.

Agree totally... in my opinion, CD/USB installations will still be around for sometime...

Moreover, some people don't have internet at home, some writers simply need a way for typing text at home or inside public libraries. And, of course, from a personal point of view, a PC connected to nothing will have very few intrusion problems. :)And, of course, I must confess that we went rather far away from the topic starter subject, which is "LiveCD".