Registry Files

-------------------------------
HUH :o:D:o

Registry files?
------------------------------
Correct! :o

Registry config files! :D

What are these files?

It is found at your C:\Windows\system32\config\ file.
These are files responsible for windows startup.
These have corresponding entries in the registry(i don't know what yet :blink::o , please tell me)
These are files(if you are not careful) occasionally become corrupt! :o:o

What are the files?

1)default - probably the default user settings.
2)sam - the user accounts and their user settings, credentials, and privileges(you thought it as a big file, it only in KBs)
3)security - the word itself...security settings. windows update settings(maybe............)
4)software - a big file, information on ALL drivers and software and windows components installed.
5)system - system settings

****Note that they don't have file extensions.
They have alternatives; if you want you can look for those files.
Some I did not include in that config files because even though it is also vital,... files I refer to are the main system files.

Still, with these alternatives, it can be corrupted.

Why would "it" be corrupted?

1) You did not use the computer that regularly.
2) You might have installed a program that corrupted the registry, or the drive.
3) There was a trojan, or virus that corrupted the drive, or the files.
4) You "mingled" :o or edited the registry.
5) Any other reason why a file could be corrupted.

How can I solve this....this problem?

I also encountered the same problem using microsoft's KB307545....
but instead of fixing the problem, it worsened it! :angry:
Why? Find out later.

Now, No worries to them who are using other computers or os's because it was corrupted, just follow the following steps.

• Before you start, equip yourself with password-changing cds and linux live cds, especially for OEM users. i say:
Petri will do the trick!
Next, run your installation CD. (if you destroyed the CD, you will be sorry for that)
Then Click "r" on the first screen, taking you to the Recovery Console.

An alternative, if you already installed the Recovery Console into the computer, is to press F8 between the first screen,
and the logon screen, then selecting the Recovery Console, if you already installed it.

Now you are at the Recovery Console! :o:o:o
Now enter the administrator password.
Problems!!! :angry::)
a)You don't know the password.
-try the Petri
-if the first suggestion failed, its time to use your password-changing cd.
-if problems persist, consult me in this topic.
b)You destroyed the CD.
-your problem, and your fault! :o

Ok, enter the following commands, CAREFULLY, and in order(by part):
Part I:
md tmpcopy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bakcopy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bakcopy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bakcopy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
This part of the file is simply for backup, a just in case if it gets worse(hopefully not!)

Part II:
delete c:\windows\system32\config\systemdelete c:\windows\system32\config\softwaredelete c:\windows\system32\config\securitydelete c:\windows\system32\config\default
These commands deletes most of the registry files.

Part III:
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\systemcopy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\softwarecopy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\securitycopy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
The last part replaces the deleted files with files from the repair folder, which are the original files.
Next, enter the advance settings(F8 between the first screen and logon screen) and choose Safe Mode.

Problems:
a) the problem is still there.
-Go back to the recovery console, as said in step 2, and add these commands in order:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bakdelete c:\windows\system32\config\samcopy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
Ok, login as an administrator.
More Problems:
a) My accounts are gone!
-If you did the steps in step 5.a, it's because of the sam.
:D My accounts are gone, and I don't know the password!
-Use your password changing disk.
Now, go to your root drive and go to the drive's System Volume Information
Problems that never end:
a)You cannot see the System Volume Information
-it's hidden
-to "unhide" it, go to the "folder options" and deselect the "Hide system protected files(Recommended)"
-the system will warn you, but ignore it.
a)You cannot get to the System Volume Information
-Try the KB309531.
Wooh, Now, try to explore it to find a snapshot folder.
Then, you should see files like this:
-_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
-_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
... and so on in the files in mentioned(meaning the ending word is the one that I've been telling you about)
Copy them to the tmp file we created in step 2, and rename them to their ending words. like this:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY ---> security

Then restart the computer!

(We're going to the end!!!)

Go to the Recovery Console again as in step 2, and do the following commands in order:

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam del c:\windows\system32\config\security del c:\windows\system32\config\software del c:\windows\system32\config\default del c:\windows\system32\config\system copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
Restart your computer!
Last, but Dreadful Problem:
(hope this does not happen to you!)
a)Problem still persists
- :P:D:D
- you gonna have to do it again in another snapshot folder!
I hope this is helpful to you! :o
Me too! :o

Especially for those of this problem who has an OEM OS, or OS that has the default Administrator's password not blank!

If you have problems, please tell me in here!