xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ronel

Can Ask The Requirements On How To Be A..... advance member/moderator/(maybe)administrator

I was looking at the forums in Xisto when I saw some of the people here are either advance members, moderators, and a few administrators.i really liked this setup at forums(there always is)can i ask what is the requirements for "leveling up" into an advance member, moderator, or administrator, even if the requirements seem to be impossible? :blink: Now, i'm hust asking. :D

Well, I didn't do anything special, but I just noticed how, as I kept posting more and more stuff, I went from newbie level 1 / member to newbie level 2 / hosted to active contributor, I just looked and saw that someone with 160 posts is an advanced member, someone with 210 posts is a premium member, and someone with 595 posts is a super member.So I think this is a function of the number of posts you made, and there are thresholds where you go from one level to the next.EDIT: Oh wait, I see that I too am an advanced member now, I guess it's because I went past the 100 posts threshold.

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

Advanced member, etc is based on post count. Moderators and admins are selected, moderators are usually suggested by another moderator, there shall be voting going on, and then it's a yay or nay. That's about all.Admins, however, only get chosen by Opaque himself.

Becoming a mod is cool, you're just sitting there, minding your own business one day. You goto sleep and then in the darkness of night these ninjas break into your room and abduct you. When you come to, lo and behold, you are a mod.But yea, as moon said, mod/admin stuff you have no control over, but asking about it is probably the worst way to actually become a possible candidate haha.

Advanced member, etc is based on post count.
Moderators and admins are selected, moderators are usually suggested by another moderator, there shall be voting going on, and then it's a yay or nay. That's about all.

Admins, however, only get chosen by Opaque himself.

Who's the OPAQUE?

Is he/she the "real deal" I say?

This might be one of those areas where if you ask to be someone “cool” then you most likely don’t realize how hard being “cool” is. From running my own forums I know that administrators and moderators are bombarded with all types of nasties everyday. One day there might not be anything to do, but the next you are spending three hours cleaning up spam. Being in power is hard work sometimes.BTW, I do have to compliments the admins and mods. Xisto has always been a clean and safe place to live. Keep up the good work.

Being a mod has nothing to do with the hosting, when I joined here, I joined for the people - not hosting, at first. One day, I found a PM in my box, asking me how I felt about being a mod here. I accepted. Days, weeks thereafter, I spent hours a day on these forums, it's quite time consuming, being a moderator. I then became an admin, I didn't have specific powers, I just had the ability to ban, unban, allow hosting or not. Like I said, moderators and admins are chosen, it is not a right, it is a privilege, and requires hard work as a matter of fact. You see, I logged on again here, and if I wanted, I would probably get my moderator status back, but I know I don't have the time to donate to moderate, not anymore. I can mod some, but not like I did before. I can tell you really aim to be a mod, but the requirements are tough. You have to post really good posts, have good grammar and spelling, abide by the rules, try to help others (correctly), even at times ask people to not get too angry ( though that is mini modding and not the best course of action).Oh, and one last thing, when you are a mod and are hosted, it can be very hard to accumulate more credits (you still need those, you are not given them for free) because you spend most of your time fighting spam, useless posts, checking hosting applications, etc.

Joke: So i can be a mod now!

Just joking!

But that privilege should be also for those who are almost everyday in these forums, so that the accepting and denying of hosting is faster, and so that there would at least have someone to approve or deny my hosting request. :blink:

Sten, stop showing your youth in regards to the boards :blink: moonwitch is old school Xisto staff hehe. Show her the respect she deserves.Oh and thanks to whoever complimented the staff here :D I forget who it was and am too lazy to check back a page now haha.In regards to Ronel, keeping the staff and specifically the admin list tight means a consistent and strong leadership of the boards. Creating an excess of mods and admins leads to troubles as there will be disagreements, opposing ways of handling situations, etc. Keeping a concise and specifically chosen staff has many benefits.I can honestly say a lot of people wouldn't make good mods anyways. Not due to lack of effort really, it just takes awhile to get to a place where you can actually be a useful mod and not screw up your hosting like moon mentioned. I know some probably don't have any trouble with this, and I don't currently, but during this past university year had I not had a huge surplus of credits from last summer I would have lost my hosting haha.In short, being a mod takes work and a certain type of person and personality. People who fall into the category usually stand out and are noticed by us (the mods) and the admins and eventually someone suggests adding them to the team and then it goes from there.

moonwitch, ur not an admin or even a mod though, well u only have the hosted thing...

Very astute of you :blink: I am actually not hosted, but it's a residual status from my hosted days, when your account status switched to mod, hosted and then hosted + admin, it messes it up a little.

I quit moderating here, Sten, because I lacked the time and the willpower to continue to moderate while it all seemed to point nowhere. I could spend hours warning people, deleting and everything else, walk away from the pc for 2 hrs, and come back to - well having to repeat the process.

Anyhow, back to the topic, the only reason I did reply was because I do know how that part of the system here works, and I figured I'd share it. Didn't quite plan on the little interlude >.<

ps. Mods, don't go warning me over that one :D I'll have your face gnawed off (ooooh that sounded so nice.. yes, I am weird :o)