xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonelym

Does Php Have This? IP Address

Is there a function in PHP where I could get the user's IP address or something? I require this function because I plan on restricting a '1 account per IP address' rule on my site.

Thanks.

It depends on whether or not you want proxy detection.Use PHP's getenv() function to read the value of the environment.Your choices are:- Without proxy detection => REMOTE_ADDR - get the remote client's IP address- With proxy detection => HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR - get IP address of proxy server

if (getenv("HTTP_CLIENT_IP")){ $ip = getenv("HTTP_CLIENT_IP");}else if(getenv("REMOTE_ADDR")){ $ip = getenv("REMOTE_ADDR");}else if(getenv("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR")){ $ip = getenv("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR");}$ip will be the IP address

I plan on restricting a '1 account per IP address' rule on my site.

Hmmmmm, good luck with that if people's IP addresses are going to be dynamically allocated by their ISP's every time they establish a connection.

I suggest you learn more about how ISP's work - and do some reading on DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Bottom line, it's not as easy as you may think it is.