xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Large Hard Drives

Would you buy a one terabyte hard drive?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The very idea of a terabyte of hard drive space available on my PC makes me salivate. I'm already thinking how long it would take to fill that up. I think by that time the first exabyte drive will come out.

The article below takes the latest Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 for a spin and tests its performance, noise levels, and power consumption against 18 other drives to find out how it stacks up.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As for myself, I think I'll wait until the price comes down a bit, and I also think it's a good idea to let many other people test these drives out over extended periods of time. I will also wait for Seagate to come out with their version, because the Seagate drive will have a 5 years warranty, but this one has only 3 year warranty.
Also, after reading around a bit more, some people seem to suggest that Hitachi drives have earned a nickname as "Deathstars" for dying so much. No comment there.

It's a good comparative exploration of recent high-capacity drives, with the smart money being on the Caviar SE16 (750GB).

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

I almost bought an external terabyte drive the other day, but only because it was on sale for $300 which I figured was a pretty good price. I didn't end up getting it but mostly just because I forgot about it until the sale passed haha. Basically I think having one might be nice but I'm not huge into video editing or anything of that nature so having a massive hard drive just isn't necessary for me. As long as I'm willing to backup stuff I accumulate once in awhile I don't have any problems with drive space with the 200 or so gigs I have now.I'm probably going to be getting a new computer within the next year so I wouldn't be surprised, however, if I put a raptor type high speed drive and a mega secondary drive in it, such as a terabyte which will likely be well review and stress tested by then.

Yeah, I don't really need so much space, because I am not working with such big data, nor do I edit video, music files or etc. I don't even keep DVD movies or other movies in my hard drive, I prefer to burn a CD/DVD.. so ~120 to 250GB is the way for me, the main thing for me is that it would be stable, very stable. :P

I used to think bigger the better. That was until I had one of those bad boys died on me and it took forever to restore from backup. Also when I format I usually just leave it on overnight because it takes so long.

We are in the BIG jump again, like from Kb to Mb, Mb to GB and now: GB to Tera.I will buy a "Teradisk" when the needs and money lets me :blink:ABOUT SIZE, CAPACITY, SPEED and moreAt this time, I'm working in a Celeron 1Ghz, 512mb ram, 40GB HD, Nvidia Geforce2 64mb. And is enough to me. Web development doesn't needs a monster CPU/GPU/HD. But every 6 months, there is something new, smaller, stronger, faster, and the entropy is growing: more machines with very different hardware and software. I have to work in standards of usability, browsers, coding. Then, all this is about criteria and needs.AGAIN: If you need one truck, buy one a do your workBlessings!

Make sure you use the fast format version when formatting the drive. It's so much faster.
xboxrulz

I suppose I should have been more specific. I run encryption on the disk so it takes around 14 hours for my 500Gb hard drive to be full encrypted.

While it all sounds very attractive, I probably won't buy one of those :D . I currently have a 120Gb HDD and I can still put a lot of images and songs on it and I think I can continue doing this for a year or so (if I don't shoot too much RAW photos :o ), then I'll probably buy myself 2 160Gb HDD and put them in RAID. The 120Gb HDD wil become my external HDD. 1TB ... tsssss, who needs that much data storage :blink:

I would really love to have one of this baby to store all my movies and songs in there. However, looking at the price, not at the moment. Have a 120 GB 2.5' external HDD and always carry it around. Its so portable and able to store so much. So I criteria, the price must be reasonable and must be portable. Not those 3.5' HDD. Would get one if these 2 criteria are met. :blink:

I would love to get one of these Terabyte hard drives. I've been waiting for them for a while now and just won't buy them at the ridiculous prices.This will definitely free up some space in the corner of my closet where I store my other 10+ hard drives (ranging from 120GB to 500GB in size). Having one or two of these puppies will make me a happy geek :blink:

I've had a 1TB RAID server for a couple years, yeah it was about $6000 back in the day and 4x250GB harddives, but...But I've seen external 1TB drives for USD 500. That's not a bad price (again I know 2x500GB). I recently purchased an enclosure that links to a router and can handle upto 2 internal IDE drives for $100 plus the cost drives. I put 2 320GB drives in it and it works like a charm. Especially when I have one Mac rendering and want to access files for another project on a different machine. Makes it a nice central network drive at 1GB/s ethernet (hardwire) for $100. Can't built a cheap PC for that much.