xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Overlord - First Impressions

I don't know about you guys, but I had never heard of the game Overlord. Luckily, a friend loaned me it and I must say something about it is really enjoyable to me.Quick basics of the game - You are the Overlord - the latest lord of evil in a fantasy realm. Basically it is your job to rebuild your fortress of evil and reign terror down on unsuspecting fools in the process. It's a fairly basic concept executed in an interesting method. At first glance it appears to be a 3rd person action game, which it is in essence, since you control your main character directly at all times and can fight, do magic, etc with him. However, they add another level of depth with the addition of minions. Basically your character has a disposable army at all times with him that grows throughout the course of the game that you control in an interesting RTS-esque manner (nothing top down, point and click orders are done intuitively with no menus or grids). Not only do they fight for you, move objects for you, etc but their conversations and antics are hilarious at times.The game could easily be improved with an M rating instead of T so that they could play up the 'evil' angle more, but from what I've seen so far the game is quite interesting and fun. Won't be winning any awards for best game of the year, but it takes some solid concepts, puts them together in interesting ways into a world full of character. Sure the 'jester' minion in your tower is annoying as hell, but most other creatures in game add to the character of the game world.Overlord is a fun time, I'd recommend at least checking out some reviews to see if you'd like checking it out.

Doesn't look to bad, might have a look into it though the stuff i'm really waiting for are call of duty 4 and the next battlefield - all set for them, but overlord might be a good time waster game as i see it - fun for a while but gets repetitive and boring later on as i find with all rts games but hey that's just me i prefer shooting things.-HellFire

I agree with Hellfire... But not with the "good time waster game". It is really not that bad. I watched the video and its like the old game Diablo II. If I where to rate it. :

(Out of 5)

1. Gameplay - 3.5

2. Graphics - 4

Haha did you just give a game a review on its gameplay based off a video you watched? smooth :PBut no, it's really nothing like diablo/diablo 2 at all excluding the dark-fantasy setting. It's third person action, not a top down point and click hack and slash, and D/D2 you controlled just you or your party, where as here you order the minions around and the AI controls them, rather then direct control. That's the main reason I like the game, not because itsoverly amazing, but its something slightly original.

Haha did you just give a game a review on its gameplay based off a video you watched? smooth :P

But no, it's really nothing like diablo/diablo 2 at all excluding the dark-fantasy setting. It's third person action, not a top down point and click hack and slash, and D/D2 you controlled just you or your party, where as here you order the minions around and the AI controls them, rather then direct control. That's the main reason I like the game, not because itsoverly amazing, but its something slightly original.

haha! yep! i said "if where to rate" hehe... anyway that's the difference if you have already tried playing it! :P

And that's just my First Impression. :P

Many seem to like it. Myself I got to play it a bit about 4 months ago at a turbine event. Wasn't too impressed, but was a very limited demo. Running around and trying to find the right console button to send the minions waving in got a bit repetitive and not immersing Posted Image