xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
b dreher

Insane Flash Drives!

You would be surprised....Techies who have the money and want to show off will probably open their wallet for these. Remember when the first CD burner drive came out? I'm sure it wasn't cheap back then at all. Now you can get the burners for almost nothing. Technology will always be advancing and when an even bigger flash drive comes out, the price of this one will decrease as usual :P

Is Buslink the brand/model of the flash drive you were referring to?

https://www.engadget.com/

If so, it looks like the price took a dive. $2000 off after a little over a year :P

You would be surprised....Techies who have the money and want to show off will probably open their wallet for these. Remember when the first CD burner drive came out? I'm sure it wasn't cheap back then at all. Now you can get the burners for almost nothing. Technology will always be advancing and when an even bigger flash drive comes out, the price of this one will decrease as usual :P

Is Buslink the brand/model of the flash drive you were referring to?

https://www.engadget.com/

If so, it looks like the price took a dive. $2000 off after a little over a year :P

Yeah. I am sure someone will have the money. I don't really understand why you wouldn't just buy another hard drive for about $50. Oh well. People are stupid. :P

I've never seen a flash drive with 64GB capacity before. And yes, I think that they would cost $3,000. But I mean buying 64 flash drives with 1GB capacity or even 32 flash drives with 2GB capacity would cost probably $1000 less!I mean, other than huge movies and stuff, who would need to carry around 64 entire gigabytes of data with them?!? Many distributions of Linux are well under 64GB, even combined :P My Windows and Linux partitions are just exceeding 25GB a little. A variety of operating systems could run off of this thing!But someone would have the money to buy this, as if it were to be carried around, make sure they safeguard it, it will be a target for thieves I'm sure.

We know that from this flash memory is what's comming next, this has proven it can handle large memory sizes but still. In my opinion anyone that wants large volume storage would be better off with a portable hard drive not a flash drive. Over the next few years you will probably see these large volume flash drives for what you pay now for 1gb flash drives. As someone said above technology is always advancing and prices dropping when new things come out.-HellFire

64GB is about the amount of space that the nightly backup of a medium-size company would take.So I guess this would be a viable alternative to tape backups for these companies.So the high-availability / disaster recovery strategy of such a company would greatly benefit from putting the backups on flash drives instead of tapes.

It would be a good is the had a SD card or memory stick that was that size! If there was a SD card with 64gb, you could carry music, pictures around on the card, and use them in heaps of devices. With a USB drive, you can only use it in computers, the SD card (or similar card) could be used in many more devices (mobiles, pda's etc)

woah 64 gb, mines 1 gb :Pi dont think anyone would actually need a 64 gb flash drive, although, if its like mine and its setup to be an actual hard drive then u could use it as a mini portable hard drive, i installed a linux distro on mine once.

That's quite a lot of memory for a small flash drive!!!! I don't know about other people, but I had a one gigabyte flash drive when that kind of size was supposed to be huge, and it went bad after alot of wear and tear use. That thing was priced pretty steeply compared to the prices right now on those drives. I wonder how companies manufacturing 64gb flash drives at high prices will deal with people coming back for their $5000 back when the drive fails, or having to replace bad drives. I wouldn't want to put alot of data on a 64 gig drive because I might become dependent on it and then one day lose it... lol But I guess this paves the way for invention of 64 gig ipods or mp3/video players that run on flash memory! Probably for a price tag of around 10 grand? lol

I know it's common sense almost to ask why not just carry a portable hard drive instead?1. They are most likely bigger. Even the smaller laptop hard drives (or maybe even smaller than that 1.8" I think) can't compare to the smaller size of the flash drive.2. They have movable parts inside. This will probably have a higher chance of mechanical problems versus the flash drives where it's all non-mechanical parts inside.3. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but maybe even speed. From what I read in the past, writing and reading from flash memory is really quick. I think the article I read was talking about the processor cache memory or even the RAM inside the computer. Compared to the hard drive, I'm not sure, but it should be quick enough. Otherwise, this is probably the only downside or having the flash drive over the portable hard drive.4. It doesn't make you look cool LOL. Who can walk around these days and say I have a 64GB Flash Drive :P It may make you sound like a uber geek, but hey you have the storage :PI'm sure these things have some kind of warranty or insurance in case they fail. There has to be a new method invented to replace the USB contacts on these flash drives. I have seen some where the gold contacts wear off over time after a lot of usage. The only way around this for now is probably using one of those USB extension cords and just use the other end to plug and unplug to the computer. Much easier to replace a usb cable than the flash drive itself :P

I am looking for flash drives for game consoles... I will just flip if they somehow already do it... I mean not just like doing memory cards, but flash drives could hold ANYTHING! Creating concepts should go from console to drive to the internet... update cool options, back to drive... back to concole, and back to game play... And then again... they still could do that.... I should probably see what gaming online is like from my PS2...Flash drives are going both ways on price, I guess... But like if you get a GIG drive for like 100, then your little brother gets one many months later for like 5.99.... wouldn't people just want to wait A LITTLE longe til the 64s go down to like 1000!!?? hahahaha maybe only I got the joke.Sell your used VW Beetle in for a flashdrive!Ok, I think I overdid the forums this evening... time to shutdown!Gone in a flash!- bob -

I guess it's not so much for companies, because their tape drives, blade systems, and multiple raid arrays make it a bit silly to stick everything on a tiny flash drives. I think it's more of a geek toy for now, and floating it on the market to see how it fares, after which we'll start seeing it in phones, PDAs, and MP3 players. I would love to have an MP3 player with that capacity.... I've got a 20GB creative now, but it's a hard drive model, so no shocks or shaking, if you want it to keep working.