xisto Community
acdragon

How Can You Know If Your Pc Is 100% Protected

Just want to ask How can you know if your PC is 100% protected I'm really curious because I've read a computer should have a firewall.antivirus and anti-spyware and malware also mothly defreagmenting is good but I really want to know if it is protected if their is any site please tell me that can test my PC from some vulenrabilities I also updated my windows xp sp2 with the latest version I also scan all files before opening it THanks in advance !!! :P

acdragon, The only way I know to ensure your machine is positively, 100% certain to be protected is to disconnect it from the Internet and keep it disconnected permanently. The trade-off for security is access to the Internet. There is no 100% secure as long as it is connected. On the other hand, if you must connect to the Internet, you seem to be doing things correctly with the Anti-virus, firewalls, etc. With access, there is always a slim possibility to become contaminated by a malware. Only visit good, secure sites and always have your protection active.

It's like sex, there's no such thing as 100% protection :P .

There are some website that can check your pc for vulnerabilities, but your better off not relying on them. There's a small checklist of things you must have and must do

have anti-virus software installed and running in the background

have a firewall installed and running in the background

have a few anti-malware apps installed and let them do a regular scan (real-time protection is a good idea too, but it'll only use more resources)

avoid using Internet Explorer, it's the main target

don't visit louche sites

make sure all your software is up to date

Think before you act. Don't enter your password everywhere you're asked for, don't click on a link without being sure it's safe, ...)

Anyway, if you're still looking for some sites:

Secunia Software Inspector (checks to see if your software is up to date, it doesn't know every program tough): http://www.flexerasoftware.com/enterprise/products/software-vulnerability-management/corporate-software-inspector/

Firewall test: http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ (useless if you're behind a router)

Browser security check: http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/

There is no 100%. I do believe that you can make it very close by using many of the security best practices mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I can’t remember how long its been since I had a major nasty on my computer.

Antivirus program

Update programs (includes non-OS programs also)

Firewall (I prefer hardware NAT router or better)

Regularly scan for spyware (spybot, adaware)

And this is the hardest and the most effective…

Train yourself how to act. This means not opening unknown .exe files, not going to shady warez sites, and just having a general knowledge of how a computer works. Always be suspicious.

Well I would say the "100% protection" is just a bit stretched out, in other words very protected.With a bit of smarts, you won't really need half of the software protective junk unless a nasty manages to slip in, I recently had a real nasty one, it didn't do much but no anti virus, or anti spyware etc could get rid of it, it required a lot of manual messing around and thinking etc.

I can suggest installing the McAfree SiteAdvisor plugin. It will give you graphical warnings about websites that may be harmful to your computer. It wont stop you viewing the websites, but thats what common sense is for! :P

You can get it from http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html for Firefox and http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html for Internet Explorer. If you really happy with it, you can also get the Plus version for $24.99

Then always updating anti-virus, anti-spyware etc will help.

And if worse does come to worse, make sure you have backups and are ready if the unthinkable happens! you never know!

-jimmy

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

I really thought being so protected :o silly me um btw is installing seperate protection like firewall and antivirus a good protection
because I've search a bit and found the nice firewall callled Jetico personal firewall I've seen in this table
https://freesoftwarecomparison.wordpress.com/2006/12/

and I've heard that the best anti-virus are kapersky and NOD32 but I've chose kaperskey but it sucks my memory or it has some memory leak but that's okay because of my 1Gb memory

So is it good to install different programs to be more secure because I'm not sure mmmm :blink::D

The first poster is correct the only way to protect yourself 100% is if you never connect yourself to the internet. The internet is like a link between you and someone else. Every second you are online packets of data are sent to you without you notice, there are some data packets that are just to keep you in the internet link and there are some data packets that are recording your every move. From what I have learned in a data communications class, going anywhere on the net is basically you connecting to other peoples computers. Cause you are not the only one accessing a source but others as well, and certain data packets sometimes come in contact together during the data transfer lines. Have a protection software and firewall on you computer is like putting up a door and no one may enter unless they have a key or you let them in by opening that door. So as interesting as it is you are never safe on the internet so you must be cautious on what you click, browse, or download. Anyone with enough skill can probably connect to your computer and bypass you firewalls to control your computer if they wanted too, but you gotta give that person a reason to want to get to your computer. Most cases of viruses that are being spread is because of human curiosity. They open things that they shouldn't be opening unless they know it is safe to open. Its like a pandora box that is put in front of you. So in conclusion you should just disconnect yourself from the internet if you want to be completely safe from the viruses that are lurking in the internet. Only use the internet when you need to, and never open anything unless you completely trust it.

The above post is correct in some sense but you can also get viruses from other sources (CD's, Flash Drives etc) especially if they have been used on a computer that is connected to the internet.

One more addition ... don't buy a computer and/or hardware anymore :blink: . It has happend before that a new computer or new piece of hardware came with a virus installed (two recent cases: medion laptops and Maxtor external hard disk drives).

One more addition ... don't buy a computer and/or hardware anymore :D . It has happend before that a new computer or new piece of hardware came with a virus installed (two recent cases: medion laptops and Maxtor external hard disk drives).

...wait, what? :blink:
So, was the virus intentional?

...wait, what? :blink:
So, was the virus intentional?

who knows :D . It might be an 'inside joke' (the virus on the medion computers was 13 years old) or maybe an infected computer in the manufacturers lab has been infected.