xisto Community
SilverFox1405241541

Just Learning Perl

Okay so I've decided to learn PERL. As I am VERY burned out on PHP after making an online hacking game in it and working on it for a month after release. Now that its almost done other than maintenance. I'm VERY good at php now. However I tried to do C and quickly thew my hands up (maybe too quickly).So I decided to learn PERL just to learn it. I'm curious, what are some practical uses for PERL (online. but more importantly offline/background/not used by public), does perl use the same if, else, while and the like as PHP?Thanks

I dont even no the first thing about perl.i also dont reckon i ever will, i dont think ill bother learning it unless i find out wot it does and need to use it :P

Well, if you say you know PHP, then Perl won't be hard to learn at all, a lot is identical in the syntax and yeah it has all that stuff like you asked, if else elseif print while for foreach and etc. I know a friend who use Perl for his scripting and he says Perl is good, for me learning Perl a bit was quite annoying, I didn't like the syntax, I prefer to further use PHP, also looked into Python and Ruby and I can say that they are much more better for scripting than Perl, but knowing all of them at least the basics is quite good..Personally, I would say continue to play with simple C and not with Perl, but if you have the will and time, look into all of them :P

im gonna have a look at perl and see wot its likedont no about anyone else but at a quick glance it looks a bit like SQL.i would rather learn something else than perl. i wanna learn AJAX.

AJAX is just a style of JS Sten, not a language of itself if I recall.@Quatrux: I have found the syntax is almost identical and the like just not as powerful as PHP. I find this problem in BOTH my C and Perl scripts: The console window closes immediately.

Perl is just like PHP for the most part, they end up doing the same stuff really, more or less.I can't stand Python or Ruby, but I'm pretty sure they are not web driven like PHP and Perl are.C is just more universal, an actual programming language that has code compiled into a native executable program for an operating system. (not interpreted any higher than such).C is also the older non OOP (Object Oriented Programming), then again go for it, if you do not require anything more object oriented specific (while I do use a C++ compiler, I don't actually use much that is specific to it).Visual Basic and Object Pascal (as well as their .NET variants) are also another option on the programming scale.

What I've found with PERL is that its a pain to run...even on freeBSD.I think I'll stick with Non-Object Oriented Languages. I think PHP is the only scripting languages I need to know (and the only one that came easy).So I'm going to try with C/C++.PERL is just too...old I guess and not well documented.