xisto Community
Jeigh1405241495

Public Access Oracle Db?

This may be the stupidest question ever, I don't know, but frankly if this exists it would help me out a lot haha. What I'm looking for is an oracle database set up somewhere that has an open uname/password for the public to use for testing or anything really. I'm just developing something that needs to connect to our oracle db here but we don't want the computers to be required to have the oracle client installed. Currently though all the computers I have access to here DO have it installed and need it to stay for the time being, and I can't access our oracle DB externally so basically I'm looking for any oracle db I can test my app with that I can access from my home rig since it's clean of anything oracle (as the target computers for this app will eventually be).I don't want to go through the hassle of hunting down a free system, clean installing it, and testing the app, so I'd be much obliged if anyone knows if some mystical public access oracle database exists haha.But yea, like I said, might be the stupidest question ever. Personally I would assume this doesn't exist because it would be begging for malicious users to play with it, but who knows. So, anyone know if this exists? haha

Why don't you just install oracle on your development machine? That's what I do for my oracle development at work. You can download 10gR2 from their site and install it in a non-production environment completely free.

I have oracle, that's the problem. I want it to be able to run WITHOUT oracle installed, but all my systems that I have access to have oracle installed and require it to stay installed for other dev work. The client computers will not have oracle installed unless required so I'm trying to avoid it if possible.

OK, so you want to simulate a production client environment...I would use VMWare for this. You can get VMWare server for free, create a VM exactly as you think the client machine will be set up and test it.

Oracle themselves are offering such a service for free to anyone who is interested.

The link is:
/en/

You just have to create an account, choose the 2MB or 5MB storage option, then figure out the database connect string.

This is specifically created to host Oracle Application Express applications, which are the equivalent of more established web application servers like BEA WebLogic, Tomcat, JBoss etc. the difference being that the web rendering engine is PL/SQL instead of Java.

Oracle themselves are offering such a service for free to anyone who is interested.
The link is:
/en/

You just have to create an account, choose the 2MB or 5MB storage option, then figure out the database connect string.

This is specifically created to host Oracle Application Express applications, which are the equivalent of more established web application servers like BEA WebLogic, Tomcat, JBoss etc. the difference being that the web rendering engine is PL/SQL instead of Java.

Hey ! that looks exactly like what I was looking for, since a long time. I need a working Oracle database in order to test my PHPBB3 forum with an Oracle database : I cannot use our production Oracle databases, and when I install Oracle on a test system, sometimes it works and sometimes not, depending from the install errors or the bugs in my php scripts. So, having an external and remotely accessible Oracle install would be really great. Thanks for having clearly asked the question, Jeigh, and thenks dserban for the info. I just registered, waiting for my request to be reviewed (and hopefully accepted).
Regards
Yordan

----------- Edit ---------
OK, I just received my account, and now it seems rather different from what was asked in the first post. The apex.oracle.com is really a remote access to an Oracle database. However, you don't directly connect to the database, you have a browser access to the apex environment which allows you to create applications using an Oracle database. However, I did'nt see what Jeigh seemed to need at the beginning of the present post, which was simple, direct and pure access to a remote Oracle database.
Edited by yordan (see edit history)