xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
baby bear

How Does One Take Care Of Stitched Area? stitches

I got 7 stitches today on my right arm. I've never had stitches and I was just wondering if any of you know how to take care of them??? like are you suppost to clean out the cut adn if so the with what?? and when can I take them out or do I go to the doctors to take them out?I would have asked my doctor about this but I was too woried about him sticking a needle in me and stitching me up. it was so grose. yuckie!!!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title modified.

Well, first off I would recommend calling your doctors office and asking them all this :P If you won't so they don't...um... stick you with a random needle apparently? I'd suggest finding reputable websites about medical information written by actual doctors or medical professionals to find the info you need. Also, you'll need to find out if you have the kind of stitches that disintegrate over time or the type that you need to go back for removal, so you'll likely need to call the doctors office regardless, so might as well ask them this stuff instead of asking people on a tech forum about how to care for your wounds :|

I called them yesterday and I talked to the assistant and she was telling me everything about them and she was telling me that I will have to come back in to have them removed. I hope it doesn't hurt to have them removed.

Stitches-removal has never hurt at all for me. It always just tickled a bit. I wouldn't worry about the removal.As for infection, if it is getting really red, you could try carefully using a small amount of antibacterial soap or some isopropyl alcohol (this would probably sting, though). just don't scrub it or anything.

Stiches - please help!

How Does One Take Care Of Stitched Area?

I just had surgery on my knee two days ago.

I have stiches. Does it hurt when you get them taken out? They are tied in a loop. Like if you put a string thru a needle whole and then tied it up over and over again. Its a little purple below them and they hurt really bad. Can you tell me everytning about them and stuff? PLEASE!?

-reply by hoopstar