xisto Community
dserban

Recommendations For Freeware Screen Capture Video Software?

I am currently using the freeware version of CamStudio to create screencast videos, which I then convert to FLV, and I post the FLV movies on the intranet at work.I am happy with the video quality of these videos.However with CamStudio I have a small problem with the spacebar.It is the default command key to stop the screen recording, and I although I looked everywhere, I couldn't find where I can change this.I sometimes need to write stuff in text fields and text boxes, and it is very annoying that I have to find various workarounds - like using a dot instead of the spacebar - to make it work.Before using CamStudio, I was using Lotus ScreenCam, but they store video files in a proprietary format (.scm) which no other video conversion software knows what to do with.Besides, Lotus ScreenCam has been desupported.Can anyone recommend some good screen capture video software that they have experience with and that works well?

Have you seen or tried Wink from Debugmode.com?Free download and install... the price is right. Only thing is I am not certain about the produced file type. *edit* It does do FLASH *edit*And the price is right...

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Excellent tip, thanks a lot !!!I've been exploring Wink for the past couple of hours and it looks promising.What I would like to be able to do with Wink is take still frames from one .wnk project and insert them into a second .wnk project, kind of like alternating live-captured sequences and interspersing Powerpoint slides.I'm still researching the help for how to do that.I know Wink has a feature that allows you to insert text boxes, but I want a strict separation between comments and live video, That's why I prefer Powerpoint slides.Also, I would like to be able to do fade-out-to-black and fade-in-from-black transition effects, just like Windows Movie Maker allows you to do.By the way, I'm not happy with the degradation in video quality that Windows Movie Maker produces, So I'm looking for alternative means for how to create those transition effects.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is what the Publishers of Webinaria said about the program which is an excellent program

Record your desktop screen movements, voice narration and Webcam and upload them to the web in Flash format for free. Using your microphone and/or webcam, quickly start recording your desktop presentation, demo or screencast. Modify the capture area from your active window to a customized area, adjust your hardware or recording quality, and edit the audio and webcam properties frame by frame. Convert from an AVI file to FLV using the latest compression technology, and upload to our Flash player. Host with us for free and receive ratings, comments and generate leads for your software demo, website screencast or business presentation.
This version improves synchronization of audio, Webcam and screencasting at various frame and bit rates

As said in the description above, Webinaria can capture you record your screen and then convert it to FLV.
I myself use it and it one of the best! Best part, its FREE! :P
Edited by Ozy (see edit history)

You can capture your screen using the windows media encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/eng/) . For the text boxed, fades etc ... you can use windows movie maker. Last but not least, you can convert the .wmv file into a .flv file using Super from erightsoft (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html).It's all free :P

Also, I would like to be able to do fade-out-to-black and fade-in-from-black alteration effects, just like Windows Movie Maker allows you to do.By the way, I'm not blessed with the abasement in video superior that Windows Movie Maker produces, So I'm searching for another agency for how to actualize those alteration effects._________________damn

Edited by rs_shadow0000 (see edit history)

Can anyone recommend some good screen capture video software that they have experience with and that works well?

Screen VidShot works well for me. A trial is free, so you may check it out.

Use OptionsRecommendations For Freeware Screen Capture Video Software?

I know by the date of the original question that this is a little late but maybe it'll be found through a search.

To program your keyboard shortcuts in CamStudio go to Options > Keyboard Shortcuts and make your adjustments there.

I had the same problem and was quickly resolved.

Rob

Snagit is commercial image capture program which used to video as well. But it doesn't capture audio stream as far as i know. So you have to use their another program camtasia video capture. It works for capturing desktop, Specific application or any other possible way to capture the video. So i think it's good if you're ready to pay for some commercial version of videos.They also offer free hosting for some videos if you purchase the program. I think most of the time if you share the video with others then chances are there that this program is perfect for both capturing and hosting the videos. So overall camtasia is one good screen capture video software for those who want perfection in their video capture. There is also one more program which is free of cost for download and usage. You can find it on google 'camstudio'. This program is also donationware AFAIK. So you don't have to pay if you don't have the money. Screenshot captor is another program suitable for image and video capture. I'm not sure if the video capture function is as close as camtasia. But i can tell you that they have some good features. They do have file export feature which allows you to export the file into multiple formats. There are also features for manipulating the screen with pointers and the text (custom) on the screen. So overall they have some good features for image and video capture. Only issue is that they're donationware (not that you have to pay unless you need to) but you need to get 6month license renewal. You can also apply for universal key even if you're not donated yet. But i think if you like the program then you can even donate 2-5$ which is fine with the owner of the software. If you're serious about video capture and the quality of videos then camtasia studio is one good option for you. It's paid software but it worth the money you invest in it.