xisto Community
Sallender

Which Web Editor Software? read this

Dreamweaver 8 useful Info..

Industry-leading tool
Take advantage of all the flexibility and power of a world-class web design tool. Manipulate pixel-perfect designs in Design view, craft complex code in Code view, or do a little of each. Work the way you work best.

Integrated workflows Design, develop, and maintain content within AdobeÂŽ DreamweaverÂŽ CS3 while taking advantage of intelligent integration with other Adobe tools, including Adobe FlashÂŽ CS3 Professional, Adobe FireworksÂŽ CS3, Adobe PhotoshopÂŽ CS3, Adobe ContributeÂŽ CS3, and new Adobe Device Central CS3 for creating mobile device content.

Complete CSS support
Discover the advantage of visual CSS tools that make it easy to view, edit, and move styles within and between files, as well as see how your changes will affect the design. Accelerate your workflow with new CSS layouts, and test your design with the new Browser Compatibility Check.

Integrated coding environment
Organize and accelerate your coding with code collapse, color coding, line numbering, and a coding toolbar with comment/uncomment and code snippets. Apply code hints for HTML and server languages.

Support for leading technologies
Take advantage of support for leading web development technologies, including HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, Ajax, PHP, Adobe ColdFusionÂŽ, ASP, ASP.NET, and JSP.

Effortless XML
Quickly integrate XML content using either XSL or the Spry framework for Ajax. Point to an XML file or XML feed URL, and Dreamweaver CS3 will display its contents, enabling you to drag and drop appropriate fields onto your page.

FLV support
Easily add FLV files to your web pages in just five clicks, with no knowledge of Flash required. Customize the video environment to match your website.

Learning resources
Learn as you go with comprehensive in-product tutorials, reference content, and instructional templates that make it easy to expand your skill set and adopt the latest technologies.

Extended Dreamweaver community
Enjoy all the benefits of the extensive Dreamweaver community, including the online Adobe Design Center and Adobe Developer Center, training and seminars, developer certification programs, user forums, and more than 1,000 downloadable extensions available in the Dreamweaver Exchange.

Cross-platform support
Pick your platform: Dreamweaver CS3 is available for IntelÂŽ or PowerPCÂŽ based Macintosh computers, as well as for WindowsÂŽ XP and Windows Vista™ systems. Design in your preferred platform and then deliver across platforms with more reliable, consistent, and high-performance results.
-----------------------------------------------------------

just a couple things to think about.. :P
Info is not mine. Just thought i'd add for those of you trying to figure out which to consider.. FrontPage or Dreamweaver?

heres the info for FrontPage..
You can compare :P ...

FrontPage 2003 provides the features, flexibility, and functionality to help you build better Web sites. It includes the professional design, authoring, data, and publishing tools needed to create dynamic and sophisticated Web sites.

FrontPage 2003 advances your Web development in three key areas.

* Designing: Use enhanced design tools to produce better looking Web sites. New layout and graphics tools make it easier to design exactly the site you want.
* Coding: Use design tools to generate better code, or expand your code skills. Use built-in scripting tools for interactive results. And with professional coding tools, you can write code faster, more efficiently, and with greater accuracy.
* Extending: Connect with people and information in new ways by building Extensible Markup Language (XML) data-driven Web sites using the first commercially available, completely WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT) editor. The enhanced publishing features and options help you get your Web pages online more quickly. (Note: XML collaboration requires Microsoft Windows Server 2003)

Design better-looking sites: FrontPage 2003 includes tools and layout and graphics features to help you work faster and design professional Web sites.

* Work with graphics from other applications, giving you more control over how images are displayed and saved.
* Use dynamic Web templates to modify entire sections of a Web site. By updating the master template, changes are automatically made to all pages linked to that template.
* Target specific browser or screen resolutions by using browser and resolution reconciliation. You can also see how your site will look in various combinations of browsers and resolutions.
* Create and manipulate tables used for layout purposes, and provide pixel-precise control of your layout.
* Use manipulation tools to more easily work with multiple images and pieces of content that sit in the same space, and to create visual effects, such as pop-up menus.

Generate code faster and easier: The design tools in Frontpage 2003 generate efficient and clean Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), and give you more control over the code. Or, you can apply your coding knowledge by taking advantage of the professional coding tools. With the scripting tools you can create an interactive experience for your audience. And, because the coding tools are easy to work with, you can even use them to start learning HTML.

Coding Tools

* Use a split view to see modifications made in the Design View automatically updated in the Code View.
* Select, modify, and manipulate tags easily using the Quick Tag Selector and Quick Tag Editor.
* Simplify code writing and make it less prone to errors with Microsoft IntelliSense technology. The technology is available for HTML, cascading style sheets, XSLT, Microsoft JScript, and Microsoft ASP.NET.
* Remove extraneous code generated by Microsoft Word or other Web authoring programs.

Scripting Tools

* Enhance interactivity on your site without writing a line of code by using behaviors to author JScript.
* Take advantage of support for IntelliSense and scripting tools for authoring JScript and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript).

Extend the Power and Reach of Your Web Site: With Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services and Windows Server 2003 connected to FrontPage 2003, you can modify and present live data from a range of sources, including XML, to build rich interactive data-driven Web sites in a WYSIWYG editor. Users can post to the Web using just their browsers, while choosing from a broad range of publishing options.

Data-driven Web Sites Enabled by Windows SharePoint Services

* Allow users to post to your Web site using just their browsers. Web logs, issue-tracking lists, and news and reviews sites can be built with just a couple of clicks.
* Insert data views and configure data sources—including XML varieties, Windows SharePoint Services data, Web services, and OLE Database (OLEDB) data sources.
* Handle XML data and authoring and XSLT formatting directly in the FrontPage WYSIWYG Design view to create XML data-driven Web sites.
* Show or hide items or reformats based on data values or position in the data view by using Dynamic conditional formatting.
* Build Web Parts Pages by creating Web Parts Zones and inserting and connecting to Web Parts in other products, including Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server "v2.0" Beta 2, Windows SharePoint Services, and FrontPage 2003.

Publishing Technologies

* Move files easily between local and remote locations and publish in both directions.
* Connect to remote sites easily with the Web import dialog that simplifies connection types and working with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
* Publish to File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) servers from the new Remote Web Site tab.

... good luck with descisions :P (i prefer Microsoft Expression Web for my web editing software "of choice" :P )..
heres the info for Microsoft Expression Web.
again info is not mine..

Microsoft Expression Web 2007 (The New FrontPage)

New Era, New Tool
Reduce complexity and ease data integration by using powerful design tools and task panes to quickly incorporate XML data. Seamlessly integrate Web design and development teams with Expression Web and Visual Studio's superior support for XML, ASP.NET and XHTML.
Beautiful Inside and Out
Unleash your creative ideas and bring your Web sites to life with sophisticated CSS design features. Visual designers, specialized task panes, and tool bars --link dead-- you precise control of page layout and formatting.
Passionate about Standards
Build dynamic, interactive pages that harness the power of the Web to deliver superior quality. Built-in support for today's modern Web standards makes it easy to optimize your sites for accessibility and cross-browser compatibility.

Create CSS-based, XHTML 1.0 Transitional-conforming Web sites by default. Work better across browsers, simplifying deployment and maintenance. Configure flexible schema settings to support all combinations of HTML, XHTML, Strict, Transitional, Frameset and CSS 1.0, 2.0, and 2.1 plus browser-specific schemas. Validate your site with compatibility and accessibility reporting and against Section 508 and W3C Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).

... have fun! Hope this information helps those who are having problems finding the right web editing software!!..
Good luck to all with their programming/GUI needs :P

-Sallender
Edited by Mark420 (see edit history)

I have dreamweaver 8 and MX.i dont use them though. id rather notepad. fast, easy, get ur site working how u want it instead of a program changing all your code and destroying it.if i put my site in a wysiwyg/html editor then it wouldnt even work. the boxes would look feral.

Unfortunately i don't have that ability to visualize code, so for me a wysiwyg interface is a must. If such is the case, then you can't do any better than Dreamweaver, assuming of course that you can afford it. But I never liked Frontpage... it was too basic. IMO that was for absolute novices.

I personally use PHP Designer and sometimes just Notepad++, I don't think it is reliable to waste so much money on Dreamweaver 8 for personal use, well unless you have lots of money or you think that it will be very useful in your future live. Furthermore, I never liked wysiwyg editors, the code which is being created by it usually isn't trusted by me, for example, my friend were making his site design with Frontpage and I managed to lower the filesize of html by 30kb and made it look even better, I am not saying that I compare Frontpage with Dreamweaver, Frontpage sucks in my humble opinion and should be banned in all countries :P But I hear/read by some professional designers, that it is really useful and saves a lot of time if you know how to use it and etc. :P

I've used dreamweaver products in the past and must say they are amongst the best at what they do. I too am amongst the group that doesn't actually like to use wysiwyg editors, but if I had to I'd return to dreamweaver in a heartbeat. I used it for a few low end sites back when I started out making pages and it made it very easy to get a feel for what was or was not possible with html. Unfortunately with so many things like css, html, xml, php, etc I can't see that being as easy a use for one of these visual editors as before.Still the dreamweaver products are always top of their game so if you don't want to actually dig in a learn the code, this is your best bet. It may not be able to handle all the fancy bells and whistles of the latest and greatest techs but can at least allow a relative novice to produce a nice, professional looking webpage with minimal effort or learning time.

Several persons will probably think I am stupid, but ... what about Microsoft Word ?Plenty of people have been forced to used Crosoft Word, because this is the standard at their office. So, they know how to create a nice page (at least a page they like to see). So, for these persons, learning how to do a very simplicist website (yes, I know a lot of professional single-page websites)- you can tell them "just create a page you would want to see on the net", and save it as a html page, name it index.html and that's done.So, Learning how to create a simple website, a single page website, is possible with Crosoft word. So, using their current knowledge of word, you can push these kind of people to creating small family websites. Then, if they are interested, they can be convinced using more sophisticated tools, learning dreamweaver or learning html in order to create everything from scratch with paper/pencil or with notepad.So, I would say that starting from what people know, then driving them the easy way to the open world, can be a very interesting adventure.

Most of the time when I edit things I just use notepad, and change something, then upload it, and if's wrong I change it again in notepad and upload it again.. But lately I've been using dreamweaver 8, I've had it but never really used it. I only use because it shows what it looks the website looks like, I don't use all the fancy bells and whistles that it comes with. It's really easy to use though if I wanted to design my whole website in dreamweaver.

I have tried PHP Designer 2005, it's very good, but I prefer HTML-Kit.
HTML-Kit is perfect for editing XHTML, PHP, ASP, CSS, JavaScript and much more. I guess I have gotten used to the program, using Notepad is just fine for me when I don't have HTML-Kit.

I used to use AceHTML Free, but it started bundling with spyware toolbars and froze quite often. Before that, I tried Microsoft FrontPage, but found that it didn't have many capabilities even though I had no knowledge of HTML back then.

I can't wait until they release the beta version, it looks very good! For Linux, I try the SCREEM HTML/XML Editor.

I like KompoZer for layout work. It's free and opensource version of the old Netscape Composer with major updates. It also picks off where deveoplment of the NVU editor left off. Oh and it works on *IUX, Mac, and windows.For coding I like Text Wrangler on the Mac, sometimes BBedit but I find BBedit to be over kill on most productions. On WIndows I typically just use Notepad, but trying Notepad++ at the moment. Would be nice to have color coded tags.

I use Dreamweaver 8 even though I rarely use the Design Mode. While the syntax higlighting and tabbed interface features are provided by a lot of lightweight tools, I stick to dreamweaver for its ability to manage the site files quite effificiently. Adding new pages is very simple & logical once you have made/customized your own template. FTP upload is rather slow as multiple connections are not supported. I stick to the open source FileZilla for that. Apart from that, Notepad++ comes handy when I have to edit something real fast. Plain old Notepad to me is pretty difficult to work with, especially without syntax highlighting and indentation aid.

I refuse to use any Microsoft product when it comes to making web sites :D . Frontpage and Word are the worst programs for making webpages because they use their own kind of HTML ... they don't follow the W3C rules, they make their own and implement those rules in IE so it only works in IE.I've used to use Dreamweaver, but when I started to learn HTML I dedided to use Notepad++, it's a lot faster :blink: . Must say tough that most of my webpages aren't very complex, that's why they're possible to be made in Notepad++.

Like many around here, I'm a bit old school, meaning I prefer to visually layout a page AND have direct access to (mostly) clean code. I've been using DW5 for years and it's gotten behind the times, imo. So, For the last week I've been testing the "modern day" webpage/site editors. And there are tons of then!

First, I'll tell you the one I landed on; Namo WebEditor Pro
1st Runner up is... WYSIWYG WebBuilder 5
and for pure HTML editing ala Homesite, 1st Page 2000 which is FREE! Note: the free version is not available for download at the developers site.

The others I tested, in no particular order...

DreamWeaver CS3 ... a pig! 285MB download. 10 minutes to install, 20 minutes to uninstall. IMO, the only thing DW has going for it is the large installed user-base.

NetObjects Fusion 10 ... proprietary code, terrible docs, minimal support. Good for a large site or intranet where design consistency is a must. A FREE NetObjects alternative, still with all the negatives of NOF10, is NetObjects Fusion Essential.

Site Spinner 2.7 ... proprietary code, antiquated UI. It is easy to use though and runs on any version of Windows.

Web Studio 4.0 ... proprietary code, antiquated UI, no built-in table support. As far as I can tell support is very good, but selling templates is the goal.

Site Studio Pro 6 ... Uses XHTML 1.0 strict and CSS. Very clean-looking pages, but at this time, over my head. Too prim and proper for my needs.

Others not worth comments IMO, again in no particular order...
CoffeeCup HTML Editor
Antenna Web Design Studio
BestAddress HTML Editor
Abdio HTML Editor

Maybe someone will find this info useful.

Edited by tiddlywinks (see edit history)