xisto Community
jimmy89

Networking Troubleshoot With Realvnc Help With Realvnc

Hi,
I recently installed RealVNC so that I can look after a remote computer on my network. I have installed the server on computer a and the client on computer b! The server is running in service mode and has been setup with a password for authentication.

My first problem comes when I try to connect from B to A. I get different errors messages including Connection Timed Out and Connection Refused. I have unblocked the ports on windows firewall (ports 5920 and 5820 (thats what im using)) and opened a series of ports on my router to allow access. Using command prompt and netstat -a I found that the computer is using the port 5920.

Whats strange is that when i add a client on the server computer (A) and have the listening client open on B, it connects! i get a dialog window and can see the other computer. But when i try to connect from B to A, it wont work!

When i attempt to connect with the Java viewer on port 5820 i get the VNC logo and a java prompt. It then says which computer do you want to connect to i click ok, it asks for the password then I get a

rdr.IOException: java.net.SocketException: Connection Reset

error. the viewer then sits there doing nothing.
Thanks,
-jimmy

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title MUST be specific. Refrain from just "help ..." next time.

have you enabled the 'vnc Password authentication' option ?Forgetting to add the port at the end of the destination computer could cause problems to. So if computer a has 192.168.10.1 as IP adres, then you should type 192.168.10.1:5920 in the box of the vnc viewer.You could also try adding computer B to the 'Access Controll' list (it's on the second tab of the VNC server properties window).

I have tried that and get an error - connection reset by peer, the connection was closed unexpectedly and connection aborted (10053). These errors come up almost instantly after i click ok for the password. as soon as i click reattempt, another error comes back up!thanks for your help so far!-jimmy

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

I have tried that and get an error - connection reset by peer, the connection was closed unexpectedly and connection aborted (10053). These errors come up almost instantly after i click ok for the password. as soon as i click reattempt, another error comes back up!
thanks for your help so far!
-jimmy

I'm not that sure of RealVNC, but tightVNC, require 2 colon, as in 192.168.10.1::5902, cause it's [ip]:[display]:[port].

But the error looks like firewall or router forwarding problem.

Also, i found out that service mode don't usually work as expected. Maybe you should try to use non service mode first, and see if it works. For service mode to works properly, i think (just plain guessing) it need WinXP Pro, cause it failed when i tried on WinXP Home.

Good Luck

Sounds like an odd problem!! ok maybe I have an odd solution for it then, I use VNC a lot here and I once did have some odd connection errors like this, for some reason it wouldnt connect a-b but b-a was fine..both firewalls were "trusted" and ports open and fine cos the link from b-a wouldnt have worked..it seemed to work fine again when I let it use the Windows system name instead of the IP..in the vnc connection box "housepc" instead of 192.168.2.10:5902Maybe just give that a go, I guess the pcs are all on the same Workgroup? or domain?

thanks! i tried the double colon trick, didn't work. I have also tried using the computer name as they are in the same workgroup - that didn't work either! So i have now switched to tightVNC, and it works fine! and its free and open source! Works well, no major problems so far and i can do what I want - thanks for your help!-jimmy

thanks! i tried the double colon trick, didn't work. I have also tried using the computer name as they are in the same workgroup - that didn't work either! So i have now switched to tightVNC, and it works fine! and its free and open source!
Works well, no major problems so far and i can do what I want - thanks for your help!
-jimmy

Did it works well in service mode? Even left at the welcome or login screen for the server pc.

Yeah, im running tightVNC as a service and I am able to use the welcome screen to login and logout users fine! I havent tried connecting while the computer is already on the login screen as hasn't been logged in yet while its been on though.

"connection was closed unexpectedly and connection aborted (10053)"

I was having this issue for quite some time before discovering that if I change the default color scheme to "full color", afterwards it worked perfectly.

-reply by Dave C

Actually there is no problem with your permission to port. Network is acting fine. That's why you are able to get the password verification window at least. The problem is actually with the Windows 7. It does not allow VNC to interact with the desktop. Interactive Services is blocked on you comp. I am also facing the same problem. I am also not able to get away with this.

As soon as VNC server verifies the password it calls it's interactive APIs. But gets a failure message, because Windows does not allow interactive services for VNC. You need to disable this. I also haven't been able to solve this. Anyone knows this? Please?

Regards,

Shashi.

-reply by Shashi

Thank you!Networking Troubleshoot With Realvnc

Dave, I've been fighting with VNC and my Mac for 4 hours. With your solution, boom, I'm in business.Thank you!

-reply by Mike

User ModeNetworking Troubleshoot With Realvnc

I have read that you have to use "User Mode" for the server for Vista and Win 7 because of Session 0 isolation (whatever that is)- so put it in your startup folder.