xisto Community
Grafitti

Dap Vs. P2p whos hogging what?

So i was downloading ubuntu overnight through a torrent, because the torrent will automatically restart on reboot, in event of power cuts. I found though that with my connection (64kb/s uplink/512kb/s downlink) i can realistically hit 75kb/s as a maximum download. So if the torrent is well seeded, it will generally download at @ 60. And if I'm using Download Accelerator Plus it will download at a slightly higher speed, about 65. But what happens if I try to run both programs is, for some reason uTorrent will be downloading at 15 or 20, uploading at 7 or 8, and will still hog an overhead of 40-45. So my DAP can only download at 20 if the torrent is downloading, even if the torrent isn't downloading fast. As soon as i close uTorrent, DAP spikes back to 65kb/s. So when I have a bunch of files queued up in DAP and i want to download from the torrent as well, i've got to first close uTorrent, then start DAP on a few files, and then open uTorrent again. If say I have 4 files downloading at once in DAP, those files will download at about 6 kb/s each once i open uTorrent again, but once those are done, DAP can't grab back the bandwidth for the next files, and they time out. I've then got to pause uTorrent, restart the DAP file downloads, and then start uTorrent again. Why is this? I've already checked for spyware, monitored the bandwidth going out of the computer -- nothing unusual -- so why is uTorrent taking this major share of my bandwidth?

There's 2 things you can try.

1. Inside uTorrent's Preferences, under BitTorrent, you will see settings for Number of connections, try lower those. This is mostly due to the fact that the number of connection allocated is limited, thus, when your DAP is not using those connection, uTorrent will grab those until it hit the Global maximum number of connections. Same thing happen to me here, my limitation is my router. It hang if i have both uTorrent and eMule running. Or unless i resort to lower the max connections. Try to experiment and see which figure is just nice. Btw, when your DAP get timeout, i bet your browser will also face the same problem.

2. M$ tries to do something nice and limit the number of TCP connection available to us, as a prevention of wide spreading of worms. But in actual fact, it didn't help at all, but render it's user helpless. Well, if you're using p2p programs, be it emule, torrent, or any others which i didn't keep track of, look under your Event Viewer, you should see some warning stating that you have reach the limit of your TCP connection. That's what M$ is trying to limit us. To fix that, goto http://www.lvllord.de/ and download the patch for the TCPIP.SYS. For more info you can read http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4226patch/faq. The default limit is 10 connection per second. Normally i put 50.

You can try the 2nd one, then slowing decreasing the max connection setting until you get it working right for both DAP and uTorrent

Good Luck

Maybe it's just that my browser has a longer timeout tolerance than DAP, but it will still work if i have uTorrent running. A bit slow, yes, but it still works. I tried the TCPIP patch and though it hasn't completely solved the problem, i have noticed an improvement. Thanks.