xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zemon1

This Is Def. A Big Topic I See, I Want To Mke An Online Text Based Game please help me out

ok, i know absolutly nothing, i know what i want to make and that i want a members bit, for paying people. I want to make a game like the one at https://tycoononline.nu/ and like http://www.honouredsociety.org/, and games like that, its going to be about makeing a business. at the beging you get said amount of cash, you choose a profession, law, farming, oil, crime, stuff of the nature. when you mkae a bussiness, or crime family you have shares orsomething else for the crime, but you cant automaticlly make a bussiness, you need to get investors and stuff like that, you never get to see your skills, but you get skills when you star. The game will be a real time game like in 5 min intervals. if you own a bussiness then you need employes, a warehouse, and other things. so you have your investors and you click on create bussiness, this brings a page with all avalible bussinesses. say woodcutters,paper maker, oil rig, refiner. or you can make a shop where you sell these things the game will be in 2 month periods. there will be rank systems much like in tycoononline, and stuff like that. i havent the slightest idea in "bleep" (dont know if swearing is against the rules...) of being able to script without some help, i dont know what script languages i need to know, and i dont know how to use them. im 15 and would like to try my hand at programming an internet game. im pretty good with computers and im a pretty quick learner. so please email me at reconwannabeslilbro@yahoo.com or post here with your help. Also if anyone would like to help me make the game im cool with that.

It sounds like you want to learn PHP. Your game seems like a lot of work. Only try if you are willing to work on it for 1-2 hours a day. Anyway... to get started I recommend looking up on Google a tutorial for PHP. Everyone seems to find one site they absolutely love. If you are still want to learn PHP then get a web host (Xisto) and test out some PHP strings. Once you get the hang of some basic PHP (variables est.) you will want to learn MySQL and how to make a database. Let me simplified the difference between PHP and MySQL:PHP: This is the base of your program. All process and operations are done here. It is good if you know HTML but it is not required. The PHP will be where you get the information and display it for the user. This will all be done with MySQL quarries. Basically Select (finds all the data from the database), Insert (inserts a new entry), Update (updates an existing entry) and Delete (remove an entry).MySQL: This is your database that will contain all the data about each entry in your case I would recommend a table for all you members data, and then a table for each item (oil est.). There is no one way you can have your tables set up. Everyone sets up their database to fit them and so it looks organized to them. Just remember none can tell you a special way to set up every project. You need to find things you like to use and set it up the way you want. Whenever I start a new PHP and MySQL project I make a plan and graph out how I want all the data to be handled. This really takes a lot of knowledge of PHP and MySQL so I suggest you get familiar with both languages before even starting your project.Hope that helps;Sparkx.

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

ok, actully tomarrow, i want to go out and get a book , PHP and Mysql for dummies, and im on summer vacation so i can spend 5-12 hours on it, depending on what im doing with my friends. Also i thinkk you suggested java script in the shoutbox to me, i found a tutorial at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and now i already have way way way more knowledge than i did when i worte this post and im only on chapter 4 lol, but keep the help arollin in please.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a color memory game using Visual Studio 2005? Specifically, what is the coding to refresh the colors so if the user wants to replay the game, it won't be the same as before?How do I create a visible countdown timer so the user will be able to see how much time he has left?What is the coding for the program to check if the two colors chosen are the same, and if it's not, to change back to the original color?Please help.Thank you,Leah-chan-Leah-chan