xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sten

Cms Good For Me? is there one that has what i need

Hey!Is there any CMS thats like CuteNews but does everything the same as a normal cms?I need one where instead of making the whole site in it, just using includes to put stuff where you want.Cutenews is the only one i no but thats not entirely a cms because it doesnt do much.

I would recommend just going for a full blown CMS and then simply ignoring any features that are extra. For example, if you use drupal or one of the other more common ones you can easily obtain a visual scheme that suits you from the large repositories available and then add the basic items you want and leave out any features that are more advanced then you want. Frankly a lot of CMS systems out now are so straight forward I personally wouldn't see the point of using one that is weaker, it might take an extra couple clicks to add a news post or something but once you decide to add this or that, the ability is there rather then being heavily limited by using a stripped down product. Just my $0.02But yea, as long as you get drupal, joomla, etc (I"m blanking on names of others right now). Any of the well known ones, they'll have the features you need, some you wont, and lots of skinning options without having to actually code a thing. I'd say you should at least look into it before convincing yourself you need the weaker not entirely cms version of a cms.

yeah but just with the style bit, ive already spent hours in notepad coding my theme and its not really a site where i can just have any old bland thing.

Well I am with Jeigh here, using a full blown full on CMS can seem sometimes like using a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut but they can all be slimmed down to thier basics or not if diskpace isnt really an issue on the server.If youve coded your theme well in html/css then it will be a breeze to get it working something like Joomla or Drupal.For instance in Joomla you can just look at any standard template and work out the essential core Joomla CSS and php then literally copy it into your own layout or vice versa.You can even leave the standard teamplate installed and then just paste into teh Joomla code window and as long as you have the images etc pointing to the right folders...blammo you got a default install of joomla running in your layout..maybe you have to move some of the module positions round btu when you get into doing that its really not hard.Also with full blown CMS there are soo many modules etc that can really cut down the work out for you when trying to do something different for a site, or if you really get into the php coding side - writing your own modules to do anything you want.

Hey! Is there any CMS thats like CuteNews but does everything the same as a normal cms? I need one where instead of making the whole site in it, just using includes to put stuff where you want. Cutenews is the only one i no but thats not entirely a cms because it doesnt do much.

Check ou t this web site.....lots of info about open source cms cm

opensourcecms.com/ hope it helps

This is great: cmsmatrix.orgYou be able to compare a lot of CMS by functionality, performance, extensibility, and a large etc: etcetera :P3 months ago, I was looking for THE CMS. After of compare the good one: Drupal with the worst ones: JBOSS, Nuxeo, Joomla(regardless the number version), my hearth and mind are convicted that Drupal is the well done version of a good solution, because a Content Management System, is about:- content: more than text: things that matter- management: an art- system: pseudo-living structures made by minded people(except JBOSS <_<Please!!! we are near to the web 3.0!!!!, you don't need to reinvent an operative system to use a computer, just choose, install, and enjoy!Blessings :P

i use opensourcecms alot to find this kind of stuff, though lately mainly just forums.ill have a look at those other sites you people pointed out in a minute.but people, i still think joomla is the best so ill play around with that and maybe get something donelol

Ive tried out many content management systems out there already and joomla seems to offer a lot of features that can get to a very complex level if need be. But with all the interface that is needed to work with these type of systems sometimes will lead you into forgetting some of the basic and important skills that are needed for you to set up a website without the use of a content management system. I try to stray away from the use of content management system when building websites because I know ill probably start to be too dependent on it. But those content management systems out there does provide a quick way to develop websites on a mass production rate if used efficiently. But if its used just to build one e-com or personal website, I believe its better to build the website by hand because you have more control of what is being coded and less glitches are likely to occur, and more so that you can even debug your own code than some of the random generated code that a content management system sometimes offers and glitches from time to time.