xisto Community
jimmy89

Spyware Terminator Interesting...

I recently installed Spyware Terminator after reading a review on this board about it being really good! And so far I'm impressed, it works well, it's fast and caught the spyware on my computer!I only have one problem... When I had a look at my Installed Programs list, I found that Spyware Terminator was taking up a grand total of 18.4GB, yes thats Gigabytes!! of space. :P I couldn't believe it! what is it doing with that much space! I had a look at my hard drive space - and yes it was gone! I uninstalled the program and got my space back, and then reinstalled it!Now, its using 9GB of space! I can't understand. :P Whats causing it to take this much space, and why 18GB then 9GB. I have looked in the Spyware Terminator forums - no help there.Whats Happening?? <_< -jimmy

Have a look if your software has a blacklist or a quarantaine zone.Imagine that you have two movies detected as spywares, both could be quarantained, 5 giga each...

Very strange behaviour, i'd think it has a quarantine section that stores files it suspects suspicious. Or even stores files it terminates. That can lead to huge space loss. You might want to have a look in your spyware terminator directory and see exactly what file or folder is taking up the massive ammount of space. This can greatly help you determine how to fix the problem.

In the case that you can't fix the problem there are plenty good anti spyware programs to chose from. You can try Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/norton-offer/pctEOL/) and AdAware (http://www.lavasoft.com/)

-HellFire

I have had a look at the quarantine area of the program - it says there is nothing there! I looked in the Program Files Directory and the total space came to 15.5MB - no where near the size.@HellFire - do either of these programs have real-time scanning of files? Cause thats what I like about SWT, it scans files as they are opened, it monitors extension changes and informs me when anything is trying to change startup files etc.thanks-jimmy

yeah, i looked in the program directory (C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator) and found nothing that could make it that big! I also looked in the application data folder and couldn't find anything at all!Doesn't matter anymore though, I changed to PC Tools Spyware Doctor. It seems like a good program so far, works well and doesn't slow my computer down!Thanks for the help-jimmy

ur welcome :P .It's probably something 'windows'-like :P . Windows gives files 2 sizes, the real-size and some kind of virtual size. This 'virtual size' (probably has some other term to define it) can be a lot larger eg. for allocating file size. Some download managers tend to use this function.