xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
khalilovitch

A Game I Want To Make

I want to a text based army vs army game. Like mafia stuff or similar. I am gona use PHP, and C++ to make it. Any other programs might be helpful? If so tell meI heard that Java can make it easier. And I am having trouble implementing graphics in to the game

So, you want to make a text based game or one that has graphics.And you mentioned you want to use PHP and C++. So, are you targeting web-based or for the PC?A little more details, and may be some referece links on the type of game you want, would be helpful for others to decide it they want to spend the effort on this or not.

PHP and C++ are totally different. Well, they are both programming languages, but one is designed for browser-based applications and the other is designed for desktop applications.If you will be using PHP, you need to know HTML, CSS and other related web technologies first. Considering that you are targeting a web audience, I would recommend PHP since you can give your users nothing to install and it can be played from any browser.Using C++ gives the advantage of more flexibility, and you don't need to be connected to the Internet for it to work considering that you aren't making a multiplayer online game. C++ is harder to learn in my opinion, and I've heard from numerous sources that learning C first is needed.It's you choice, it all depends on what you know, what you are willing to learn and the target audience.

Personally, I reckon PHP is the way forwards for Mafia style games, mainly because a vast majority of them are currently made using PHP. The scripts that you can find laying around are probably not a bad place to start, although those which offer a decent amount of support tend to come with a pricetag (unsuprisingly). If you're looking to make your own there are often "limited" or "trial" versions of those scripts that let you see some of the techniques used, and while I by no means suggest you copy the code, having a glance at various ideas can really help you formulate your own. C++ is a totally different method of working on something like a Mafia-style game, so I'm not going to offer any advice on it due to my almost complete ignorance of the whole language. ;)Anyway, PHP/(X)HTML/CSS is a winning combination in my opinion. I don't know enough about Java to comment on how appropriate it is - and whether it would help at all - for what you're looking for, but either way a decent chunk of coding knowledge or just sheer persistence is needed to get yourself going. Heck, that applies to almost any projects that have just yourself working on them.

Most games are running with PHP. You have to be pretty good at it to even have a chance.(i have friends so they help me alot) So starting with no skills i would say find a script package like ~~~> MCcodes V2 is the best way to go cost $300. Im using those codes. Got them from my friend for free thou.

I heard that Python is a relatively easy language to learn. And just working with Modding games a bit, I've come across a lot of Python files, so I know that they use em in retail gaming.PHP is more dynamic web browser code, not really for games run in windows, unless you're running it through an Internet browser.C++ is probably decent for text games. I took C++ classes in college and they never got to show us anything fun to do with graphics...which sucks ;) VisualBasic .net is pretty decent if you want to set up Windows-based games. It's virtually point and click until you need to set up some functions for buttons and whatnot.GameMaker is also a good one, and you would be able to include graphics, though I don't know anything about it's scripting capabilities.If you want to go Ye Olde Schoole, find a copy of QBasic 4.5 (I say 4.5 because it can compile code into an exe that can be run separately from the QBasic editor). That's where I first got interested in programming text games. It's really easy and if you have no prior programming experience, I'd say it's a great way to learn Logic, because you're going to be making choices based on choices and looping and all sorts of fun stuff :P

GameMaker is also a good one, and you would be able to include graphics, though I don't know anything about it's scripting capabilities.

Just so you know, GameMaker's brilliant for a lot of games (and well worth the one-off registration cost, in my opinion), although getting multiplayer games to work over a network/the internet shouldn't be something you take lightly. While it's certainly possible, I would recommend trying to get a half-decent non-online game going first. Still, I know that some people have made some awesome online games using GameMaker, and there's a whole board full of programmers of different abilities to help you along the way. Just don't expect to come up with anything too revolutionary. ;)