xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Adolf222

PhpBB To SMF Few qusetions

Hi, i have question. My friend have Phpbb forum and he would like to change it to smf...so can someone tell me how can I do that to him and of course he wants to keep forum base and put it back to smf after I install smf on his server...tnx in advance...if you dont understand what i said just ask so I will explain to you...<_<

just backup the MySQL databases, delete the PHPBB files off the storage, and then upload SMF files, run the SMF installer which should lead u to the converter, and tell SMF to convert the PHPBB DB to SMF.xboxrulz

I would but there's no point repeating what's already posted at SimpleMachines Forums <_<

Take a look at:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/?docRedirect

It will explain step by step on how to install/convert your forum. If you used FTP before, this shouldn't be too much of a problem to install. If you have any further questions after reading that install/conversion guide, feel free to post them here or over at the official SimpleMachines Forum.

I would personally keep phpbb, or if you only have phpbb version 2, then upgrade to version 3! phpbb3 is definately one of the greatest free boards available, its a heap better than SMF (i also dont think highly of SMF).Tell your friend to get phpbb version 3, its heaps better than SMF and old version of phpbb.But yeah, if he really wants to change to SMF, just tell him to backup the database and install SMF.

I understand upgrading phpbb 2 to SMF, but as Sten said - phpBB3 has been released and it is simply amazing.Consider upgrading to phpbb3 first, it is superior on many aspects - especially design wise. Prosilver theme on phpbb3 is astounding.

phpBB3 has improved dramatically from what I have read and seen. If he wants to upgrade to phpBB3, he may do so. Otherwise, try the installation steps I provided in the link earlier. SMF will be coming out with a new version as well. Still working on it now but from what I have seen in the live environment, it looks promising...only improving more <_<

Consider upgrading to phpbb3 first, it is superior on many aspects - especially design wise. Prosilver theme on phpbb3 is astounding.

Shame the important things like stability and security still haven't been fully addressed. There's no point having a nice looking forum if someone is going to get into your CP all the time.

Still haven't got a chance to play with phpBB3 yet. So security holes are found already? LOL. SimpleMachines Forum rules <_<@Adolf222: Did you manage to install SMF properly?

Still haven't got a chance to play with phpBB3 yet. So security holes are found already? LOL. SimpleMachines Forum rules <_<
@Adolf222: Did you manage to install SMF properly?

You can play with phpBB3 on my installation (check page 1 in this thread).

xboxrulz

the security part doesnt bother me much.I cant wait for it to be stable so as soon as thats released ill get it.but i suppose its only RC1 so it will be a while but i cant wait.Ive got it installed, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

figuring out how to make a theme, to look exactly like my site that the forum is for.when it comes to designing a theme ive always liked IPB.

really?why not?I dont expect any people who go on my site to be smart enough to do anything to it. Except some super nerd at school that hates me cos im inmature. hes always hacking sites and he knows mine and at one stage he was trying to hack into my computer...I just went on the phpbb site and RC2 was released todayim gonna see wot its likeIts the most annoying and frustrating thing to upgrade ever.

Edited by Sten (see edit history)