xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

Safari For Windows? My Safari on Windows opinion and review

My initial reactions to having Safari on Windows was "ok.... wtf?!?!" type deal. It's just simply weird that Apple is now spilling so many applications and dedication for the latest version on their competitor's operating system (Windows). However, Microsoft doesn't do the same. Microsoft Messenger on the Mac is a severely cutdown version of Windows Live Messenger. There's no game nor webcam support. Webcam support has now become a standard for instant messaging and Microsoft hasn't committed for a newer version. Microsoft Office is getting a new update for sure, as they have announced previously. However, no other announcement on that at all.

Apple has outdone themselves with spreading its technology to its competitor. First with Quicktime, then with iTunes, and now Safari. One might wonder, why not just port the entire iLife over to Windows while they're at it.

Safari on Windows is slower than Safari on Mac when I was testing it. It was definitely interesting to use Safari on Windows. However, it will not overtake Mozilla Firefox. It doesn't have all the customization I want in the browser. I know the Facebook widget is available on widgets, but seriously, Windows users won't have it, unless it's also a Windows Gadget. The main advantage of Safari I see is that it's based on KHTML (which is the reason why it's so fast in the first place). Apple needs more customization options before any Firefox users would want to even think of moving over. KHTML itself also poses a problem. The Gecko Engine used in Mozilla Firefox has a better rendering engine (in terms of compatibility). For example, Yahoo! Mail's new interface doesn't even work with Safari. I can't even check my inbox, I can't close the tab, loading takes forever and etc.

It's KHTML's limitation that's pulling Safari back.

Posted Image

All in all it's a good browser, but there's a lot of annoying kinks that it needs to iron out.

xboxrulz

I had the same assessment when I made hte post on trap, I don't see know reason to have safari on windows due to the fact the PC's have 3 other top of the line browsers to choose from. Developer wise yeah it will be useful to have when design website and junk. The only think I liked so far is the RSS drop down, if the other browsers are smart they would stea...I am mean borrow the idea to use it as well.

I too was confused as to why anyone would want safari on windows. It is understandable to use it occasionally on OSX, since it is bundled with the OS and uses less memory on that platform.I would never use it on windows, though. It lacks the versatility of browsers like Firefox and Opera. It is just sort of a plain old web browser. The browser renders pages oddly, differently than all other major browsers. Although some people seem to like the interface, I don't. I don't like the brushed metal tecture or having space-hogging close buttons on every tab. All of these things could be achieved in firefox if I wanted them, though. I also here that on windows it is hogging a big chunk of memory (but I realized that it is still beta).

<_< safari for windows would be so cool!I love macs way better than windows and fedora (as much as i love fedora i rather mac).It seems too buggy for me to use, ill stay with firefox.where did you get it from anyway?

Lol I was laughing soo much when i read this on the news sites.Why would anyone want an outdated browser written by Apple on thier Windows pc? when theres Opera, FF, IE, Flock etc etc Probably soon Apple will make it so that if you want to use Itunes (i recommend you dont) you will have to use Safari to be able to browse their site in order to boost the downloads of Safari."It's KHTML's limitation that's pulling Safari back" and also the Apple corp themselves for thinking any Windows users would be interested in Safari.

Sadly I have to agree with all this. With all the ways Apple has moved forward in (relative) recent history you would think they would know better then try lackluster tactics to grab users' attention like this. Revamp the browser and release it new on both platforms simultaneously at a level that is an actual competitor and this might make some semblance of sense but as it currently stands the only people I imagine would be interested are those like us testing it for plausibility and those who are addicted to make so much that they only use safari on mac and will now bring it with them on a jump drive in case they are ever forced onto a windows platform pc in the future :PI'll be sticking with FF, in case that wasn't clear <_<

<_< safari for windows would be so cool!

I love macs way better than windows and fedora (as much as i love fedora i rather mac).

It seems too buggy for me to use, ill stay with firefox.

where did you get it from anyway?

http://www.apple.com/ca/safari/

Lol I was laughing soo much when i read this on the news sites.

Why would anyone want an outdated browser written by Apple on thier Windows pc? when theres Opera, FF, IE, Flock etc etc

Probably soon Apple will make it so that if you want to use Itunes (i recommend you dont) you will have to use Safari to be able to browse their site in order to boost the downloads of Safari.

"It's KHTML's limitation that's pulling Safari back" and also the Apple corp themselves for thinking any Windows users would be interested in Safari.

Actually, Safari for Windows is their latest browser, both the Mac and Windows version are yet to be released. The final release is when MacOS X Leopard (I'm still drooling on its features, even though I just woke up). Both the Mac and Windows version is currently a Safari 3 Public Beta.

xboxrulz

Windows has the market so knows it doesn't need to care about the mac market yet. Apple also knows it does NOT have the market, so needs to push its products to as many people as possible. It makes sense they would release products on the windows platform. Its the same logic as when they switched to intel processors. Sure it might allow more non-apple access to their systems but at the same time it increases the user base.

after realising this i now use Safari in winows and i it is better than the rest those of you who hate it cant have ever used this software as it is the best browser on the internet.Hope This HelpsNick

Windows has the market so knows it doesn't need to care about the mac market yet. Apple also knows it does NOT have the market, so needs to push its products to as many people as possible. It makes sense they would release products on the windows platform. Its the same logic as when they switched to intel processors. Sure it might allow more non-apple access to their systems but at the same time it increases the user base.

However, by switching to Intel, they also made their computers less powerful since PowerPC chips are superior to their Intel counterparts. Plus, they could seriously add a lot of extra hours to their batteries if they kept their original plans with moving over to the PA6T chips from PA Semi.

xboxrulz

after realising this i now use Safari in winows and i it is better than the rest those of you who hate it cant have ever used this software as it is the best browser on the internet.
Hope This Helps

Nick

What specific aspects of safari do you find to be superior? What does it offer that other browsers do not?

im about to download the browser.The website makes it look good but it probably isnt that brilliant on windows at the moment.Mac is better than windows people, but, they just have their programs for windows too because they know that most people use a normal PC not a mac.anyway im about to download it and see for my self what its like.OMG its so cool!i dont care how you people bag it i love it <_<im in it right now.

Edited by Sten (see edit history)

Well, i think it's a good way to shake microsoft's feet. If you look at this page by Scott Hanselman http://www.hanselman.com/blog/
featuring a video of some benchmark done to compare the performance of the 4 popular window's browser, including safari. It shows that safari is rather quite fast, fastest in most cases. That actually prove that, even IE having written by microsoft, also can't do as good as a third party, further more it's rival.

Way to go Apple !!!

Yup, it is a fact that it's the fastest in the world, but at the same time, not compatible with a lot of websites because of the KHTML core. KHTML wasn't in the minds of web creators when they created their websites.xboxrulz