xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Simba49

User Account Control! Help turn it off

Does anyone know how to turn the user account control off? It's really annoying and it pretty much comes up every time i try to use a windows program. I tried to contact microsoft support about this but all they could respond with was, "we dont know what your trying to ask us". I'm pretty sure it's going to be a registry hack or one in the control panel ->admin tools...please help me on this asap!Thanks,Mike

User Account Control (UAC) can be deactivated by doing the following steps.First, go to the Control Panel, then press User Accounts, then press Turn on/off User Account Control. In their UAC can be turned off. You will need to reboot to turn off UAC.I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND turning it off and Windows will annoy you about it.xboxrulz

Thanls for the info xboxrulz!Although i would not do that, its always handy to find out how to do it.I admit, eventhough it does get on my nerves sometimes, its still best to leave it on. It makes your computer (including Vista ofcourse) much more secure by Windows requesting you to allow the specific program or not. It's very handy as you can see if there is a program trying to open yet you didnt request it too - which could be a virus or spyware. Hope this changes your mind to leave it on! <_<

why leaving it on ? It's annoying and it's slow. Securing your pc starts by being a smartass and knowing what you're doing. UAC is only for people who don't know much aboute security and still use IE.

why leaving it on ? It's annoying and it's slow. Securing your pc starts by being a smartass and knowing what you're doing. UAC is only for people who don't know much aboute security and still use IE.

I totally agree with you! :o

Why leaving it on? I say it's the most annoying part of Vista. :D:blink:

LOL.. totally agreeded with you x 2. Initially it was quite cool function when I first started using Vista. But it prompt you too often. So often that I totally got irritated. :blink:

XP is still my choice for now if talking about Windows. :D

XP is still my choice for now if talking about Windows. :o

Same, but Vista does have its merits (even if they are hidden under a load of abuse from most XP users :blink:).
Seriously, though, when it comes to community support (namely what other people on forums know instead of Microsoft itself), sticking with XP is often the way to go. If you're going to do anything "non-standard", at the moment most people use XP (or at least have used it) so they're more likely to be able to help. When it comes to questions concerning Vista, I find a lot of the time it's just a compatibility issue. To get something to work on Vista is often a lot trickier than getting it to work on XP, simply because it's new. After the majority of people use Vista instead of XP we'll be back to where we started, with whatever new Windows OS they release giving us the same problem.

A lot of people put Vista down - me being one of them - but really I think people over exaggerate. Sure, it's got a good few bugs, isn't compatible with a lot of programs, and is generally trickier to get running, but eventually XP will be outdated, meaning all of us who cling on the past and our comfort zone won't have a clue what they're doing once the world of Vista has been thrust upon them or face slipping back in versions much like most people consider '95 to be today.

Either that, or you can just go get yourself a Mac like I'm thinking about doing. :D

I don't use Windows Vista right now, but I got a book from the library that was by Microsoft and it seems that UAC is quite cool.

Let's take a look at the glossary, shall we?

User Account Control - A Windows Vista security feature that requires specific acknowledgment and an administrator password when accessing settings that could disrupt your computer or affect its users.

It sounds good, after all, it is a Microsoft book. Now let's take a look at what Wikipedia says:

User'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/Account Control (UAC) is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. It aims to improve the security of Windows by limiting applications to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase in privilege level. In this way, only applications that the user trusts receive higher privileges, and malware is kept from receiving the privileges necessary to wreak havoc on the operating system.

In other words, with UAC a user may have administrator privileges, but an application that the user runs does not unless it is approved beforehand or the user explicitly authorizes it to have higher privileges.

UAC will usually prompt the user for additional privileges automatically, but the user can also right-click a program and click "Run as administrator".

So therefore, it helps keep the computer safe by letting the user explicitly permit software to run that "could disrupt your computer or affect its users".

Here is an interesting passage I found in Wikipedia also:

There are a number of configurable UAC settings. It is possible to:[8]

*'>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control;']*Require administrators to re-enter their password for heightened security

* Require the user to press Ctrl+Alt+Del as part of the authentication process for heightened security

* Disable Admin Approval Mode (UAC prompts for administrators) entirely

This means that if you are an administrator, or the only user on the computer, then you can disable the prompt entirely! Personally, I wouldn't do that, I think it is cool. But if it annoys you so much, you can do that.

Criticism'>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

There have been complaints that UAC notifications slow down various tasks on the computer such as the initial installation of software onto Windows Vista.[12] It is possible to turn off UAC while installing software, and reenable it at a later time.[13] However, this is not recommended, since as File & Registry Virtualization is only active when UAC is turned on, user settings and configuration files may be installed to a different place (a system directory rather than a user-specific directory) if UAC is switched off than they would be otherwise.[14]

Speaking of UAC, Yankee Group analyst Andrew Jaquith stated that "while the new security system shows promise, it is far too chatty and annoying."[15] However, this statement was made over six months before Vista was actually released (even before Beta 2 was released). By the time Windows Vista was released in November 2006, Microsoft had drastically reduced the number of operating system tasks that triggered UAC prompts, and added file and registry virtualization to reduce the number of legacy applications that trigger UAC prompts.

I think that the benefits outweigh the criticism.

To disable UAC for administrators, you can use Group Policy Editor to do that. But I don't think Administrators have to enter a password anyways, so why disable UAC?

I may be completely wrong about this, I don't use Vista, yet. But it seems pretty logical to me right now.

Power Users? Admin rights? How can I install this CD in Vista?User Account Control!

hello, This may not be the correct thread to post my question, I don't know where else to go. You'll have to excuse me if my question is too simple as I am not that literate with computers. So please be kind :)

Okay, I was trying to install this software on my computer. Now there's a note in the Quick installation guide that says 'during the installation under windows 2000/XP... For the installation you need administrator rights. In order to work ith the app. You must be a member of the group Power Users or higher.

Now I use Vista. And I've read in some forums that the 'power uses' has been removed in Vista.

Why the hell doesn't Vista allow me to install it? Something pops up saying I need administrator rights. The account I am using HAS administrator rights. I am logged on as an admin. How can I get around this problem? I don't know how I can be a 'member of the group Power users' I just want to install this damn CD.

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this.

Cheers!

G