xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Simba49

Update Ram From 1.4g To 2g?

Should i upgrade my RAM from 1.4g to 2g. I'm using windows vista ultimate at the moment and wondering if it will greatly make a difference in speed and preformance? What if i upgrade to 4 gigs? Wil i notice alot of speed? Thanks alot for your time and info on this!My RAM:pc2 ddr2 4200 533mhz 1.4gMike

I wouldn't directly say yes, it depends a bit on what you do and what you want. I have Vista Home Premium on a Dell with 2Gb memory and I usualy never use more than 1Gb of memory (I have to admit that I did disable Aero and some other useless services).If you don't use a lot of memory hungry applications, then maybe 1,5Gb is enough, otherwise I'd suggest to upgrade (tip: check the taskmanager from time to time to see how much memory you're currently using).

Do you use all the resource guzzling features in Vista? LOL. Try turning on a bunch of those widgets and run the Aero glass interface along with a bunch of programs you commonly use. Monitor the performance and see if you notice any sluggishness. According to Microsoft, 2GB is the recommended memory for Windows Vista Ultimate. I usually go against what they say is the minimum specifications and upgrade a bit higher if I can <_<

For me, I was forced to scrap all the "features" including Aero, sidebar, tablet, and other useless features.
Now it runs smoother.

xboxrulz

glad to hear I'm not the only one <_<

Your talking about upgrading your Ram, but that isnt the only thing you should upgrade for improved speed. Ram is not for prossesing info, thats what a prossesor does(lol). Also, your MotherBoard has a bit to do with Speed. And, like a ton of other people said, Vista uses a lot of Memory for its components(then add all the programs you installed on top of that), so you would need to upgrade your Hard Drive memory too. Yea, it cost alot of money. It sounds better to just buy a new computer, but if you want to get good prices for brand new upgrades, check out 4allmemory by clicking here they have nice prices on more than just Ram, and its designed specifically for your computer.

-Murtahg
p.s, Your talking about upgrading to 4Gigs??? My laptop only has 256Megs and it runs like a racehorse!!!

p.s, Your talking about upgrading to 4Gigs??? My laptop only has 256Megs and it runs like a racehorse!!!

And what OS? Windows 98?

Well yeah if you disable most of the Vista features then yeah you could run on 1-1.5 gigs of ram, but if your doing that you might as well have installed Windows XP since it defeats the purpose of running vista without all the features. I plan on running 2 gigs on Home Premium once I install it, but I plan to have software that keeps the system running smoothly with no problems, like spybot, RamDEF, a registry cleaner or two. I would say 4 gigs would be a bit excessive unless you plan to have a multimedia based computer to design games, video's, music, large graphics and stuff like that.I would say though that if you run ultimate at 2 gigs you shouldn't have to many problems for it to be slow, if thats the case drop another 512 or 1 gig into the machine for a just in case.

The more ram is definitetly good, but you got to make sure what your system is capable of. Because if I remember correctly you can upgrade to so much memory that your motherboard can support. Moreover, with all the new generation games coming out ram seems to be a very popular choice of upgrades next to graphic cards because it gets picked on almost all the time when you are pplaying a graphically intense video game. You will notice this if you happen to play a game such as oblivion because if you dont have the suitable amount of ram, you will never see how the game really is meant to look and feel like if you are runing the game below the standard requirements. Im playing it with only 1gb of ram but amd studdering a bit with the dual core computer, I know that if I attached more ram on my system I would probably expect the best performance and gameplay experience from the game.

I have 2 GB ram on my desktop running XP Pro, and 2 GB on my laptop running Vista Ultimate (a waste of money, but too late...)Factoring in a small handicap for laptop parts being slower than desktop ones, the two systems run about the same. Vista does take about 10 seconds longer to boot up, but other than that no major differences. And I'm running latest games, Video editing, and graphics work... So though I'm sure 4 GB would help it run even better, I've not had any problems running Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign all at once.