xisto Community
Sten

Learning Php

I have decided to start learning php as I think it is essential if you want to make a good site.I have a book which is good for starters but it doesnt have much advanced stuff.Would anyone happen to know a good site I can learn from?While im on the topic, i cant get PHP to install on apache.So i still cant use php on my computer anyway :l

Yes I am also interested in learning PHP. Could you please reccomend a good source to get started with the basics. All i know is that you can include PHP onto your websites for increased possibilities. I have tried a couple books at the library but none of them seem to be of any help they are all to indepth to the point were i have no clue what they are talking about. Would you reccommend learning about databases before learing PHP? I am also learning more about CGI currently.

Download WAMP5 (google it), it has Apache 2.4, MYSQL newest, PHP 5 and phpmyadmin.

Install WAMP5.

Start coding.

The best way to learn php is just to do it. Use the internet as a reference book for commands you don't know/understand. Start with templates/pre-made scripts and then edit them and learn.

Some tips:

Don't use $_COOKIE. Use $_SESSION. Its more secure.

Don't use $_GET or $_POST. $_REQUEST can handle both.

Don't run a Mysql query and with one variable name then assign it a new one like a lot of tutorials show, that's plain stupid.

Use good variable names, instead of $time3 make it $time_to_finish, for example.

Use Include statements.

In any input use strip_tags() and any MYSQL user based queries use addslashes() in the input. This prevent injection.

Md5 is vulnerable, therefore MD5 something about 5 times.

Comment code often using //

Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

Learn PHP definately befor you start learning databases.They come in later in the more advanced stuff.I have a book right next to me actually called... "Programming in PHP" its from next handbooks. It's a little out of date (from 2005) but its probably the best thing I have ever read for learning php. The only problem is its has alot of advanced stuff but not much detail about them. http://au.nextdirect.com/en/?utm_campaign=redirect&utm_medium=localurl&utm_source=next.com.au is their website.Silverfox, I usually use the session one but I use post.

There are a lot of good websites to learn PHP, a few of them are:

PHP: A simple Tutorial - PHP official site

PHP Tutorial - w3schools.com

PHP Tutorial - Tizag.com

Is a good idea to download the Official PHP Manual from the PHP website and also check out the related forums here at Xisto.

Best regards,

Yep, those three tutorials are the ones I've found myself using a lot. Of course, after you get the basics from those tutorials, you should pick a project to start working on. You might try to code a simple contact form, or something like that. Then you could move on to making your own blog (the CakePHP framework works really nicely for that...once you get it, a blog can be set up in a few hours) and so on and so forth.Good luck!

I have learnt PHP through the W3Schools tutorials and found the http://www.tizag.com/phpT/echo.php tutorial mentioned above to be useful for beginners as well as advanced PHP functions.

PHP is useful for site templates (include/require) to shopping carts to major blog sites. Compared to ASP, it is free and more compatible with servers.

You need a goal when working with PHP. You could try designing a dynamically changing text/images based on input. Then move up to designing login forms. Once you can do that, try making a simple shoutbox. Without a goal, you will get frustrated and unmotivated to continue working. Don't give up.

With anything, you can learn it with time and patience.

Yep, those three tutorials are the ones I've found myself using a lot.
Of course, after you get the basics from those tutorials, you should pick a project to start working on. You might try to code a simple contact form, or something like that. Then you could move on to making your own blog (the CakePHP framework works really nicely for that...once you get it, a blog can be set up in a few hours) and so on and so forth.

Good luck!

Some months ago i download the CakePHP framework but i can't be able to install on my PC, too much installation errors get me mad, so i left behind and forgot about it, tell me something, if you install it on your PC what PHP, MySql and Apache or IIS version you work with???
If you have the time can you please give us your opinion of this framework, do you know other frameworks???

Best regards,