xisto Community
Chesso

My Computer Icon Etc.

Hello, I am using a modified explorer executable (just renamed is all, I couldn't be bothered with the reshacks these days).Some time ago, I modified some icons (such as file types), and "My Computer" in particular.For some reason nowadays, it defaults to that annoying white unknown icon, and even if I changed it to a different one (and make sure the file isn't removed, I figured windows would cache them.....), or back to the original, it will not stay.As soon as explorer is shut down and re-started, or I re-boot the computer, I am again represented with the crappy unknown icon.It's been like this for a few months, but just seeing it now is really beginning to get on my nerves lol.I have searched the net, and know how to change it etc, I just can't seem to get it to stay that way.Anyone know what I can do to get this thing to stick to 1 icon and stop reverting back to this ugly pretty much plain white thing?

Have you tried reverting the icons back to their original states? An update from microsoft could be making it unable to handle your previous changes. When in doubt, always return to the basics. If you've changed something and it breaks down the line, it's usually best to try to put the machine back in its original state.

I did mention that I tried putting the old icon back didn't I lol? (not sure if I did indeed mention that or not, was awhile since I made this thread).And I don't have any Windows Updates on that installation, I normally cripple those background services, as to not waste my bandwidth unless I feel that I need the update.

It could be Windows is using the old cached icon and not reusing/caching the new one you specify.

Make sure to change the icon to the one you want.

The only way I know how to fix the cache is to resize the icon cache in the registry. If you know how to use regedit then you'll need to find:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

The Key is called:

Max Cached Icons

Change the Value to anything between 100-4096, smaller would probably be better then restart your computer.

Then just do the above and fix the registry or leave it as is if you're fine with it.

If that doesn't fix the problem, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Cheers,

MC