xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

New Computer? Need opinions

My 300W PSU isn't from big brand names. Mine's from Excellent XPower. My GeForce card is just called NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (which I think is the lower end version of the 6600.)Plus, what do you mean by "dirty power"?xboxrulz

I think that's what he means too.UPDATE: I just checked my brother's power supply and his PSU only supplies 250W of power. His computer is a HP Pavillion a810n. He also has an ATI Radeon X1600 w/ 256MB AGP installed. His CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3300+. Which is quite odd since I thought you need a lot of power for such components :s.xboxrulz

By dirty power, I mean power that is constantly fluctuating, never stable at 220V, and switches without warning between 1, 2 or 3 phases. It's a major problem here, and with the generic power supplies I use in most of our computers, it fries them up. I'd say that of 20 computers, in a year i go through probably about 15 power supplies. Though they're cheap to repair and cheap to buy, and the price difference doesn't warrant getting branded ones. It might be different there, though, if generic PSUs you can buy deliver what the sticker on the outside says it's supposed to. The ones here if they have a sticker rating of 350w, deliver a max of 230w, and mostly 180w.

I've never fried a single power supply before. (Unless I accidentally did it myself, which I have before when I unplugged it from the motherboard while the system was on and I didn't even realize it; but it was on an older machine, so it didn't really matter <_<.) Even during storms when the power is fluctuating my system is still on until it really runs out of power (when the voltage meter dips to 0.)xboxrulz

How I wish my experience was like that. With an average of 5 or 10 complete power cuts per day, and constant voltage fluctuations (anywhere between 10 and 440), it's no wonder then that I've had worse experiences with generics. I do have to say though, that the Asus one on my personal computer has gone through it all for over a year now, and never has given me any problems. Keeps right on going till the power totally cuts out, and has a 1 second charge for the flash power cuts.

wow, I must say that the circuitry inside that PSU will die faster than ones with stable power (my power never dips lower than 120V unless there's a heavy storm). The lowest my machine was running on was 90V (My school installed a voltage meter for the stage) during my school play since we plugged too many high voltage lights into the same breaker.xboxrulz

I think its good. It has all the features u need ie speed, durability and extendability. Though i would like to advice you to upgrade your Graphics card to PCI-E(16x).It will be come well within your budget. Go Ahead and have it. :P

Since I haven't got my desktop and technology changed again, I updated the list and I plan to get it in December as long as I get parental approval (I hate going through this process):Planned specs:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (65W) Dual-Core Socket AM2, 2.1GHz, 512KB x2 L2 Cache, 2000MHz HT, 65nm (ADO4000DDBOX)Asus M2A-VM Socket AM2 AMD690G + ATI SB600 Chipset Dual Channel DDR2 800/667/533 Integrated ATI X1250 Graphics Micro ATXHitachi HD 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200rpm 16MB Bulk (0A33435)Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (1GB x 2) 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) (KVR667D2N5K2/2G)Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO 512MB DDR2 Dual Display PCI-Express Graphics CardSUBTOTAL: C$358.95TOTAL: C$409.20If I need a new 400W supply, then add $70 (tax incl.) Right now I'm running on a 300W.Any comments?xboxrulz