xisto Community
Chesso

Sql Injection Prevention (passing Numerical Data Across Pages). PHP/mySQL

Even if your building something as simple as a basic news page for your website, if your passing along url variable strings like (mysite/index.php?page=1), you may be vulnerable to SQL injection attacks.

For cases like these (passing numerical data in url strings), I have a handy dandy little function to thwart these attempts silly:

// For checking if value is a number, if not return 1. function isNum($val) {  if (!is_numeric($val)) { $val = 1; }  return ($val); }

I have this function, within my functions.php file, which I use as an include in files where I need access to the function, and use it like so:

</php.....include 'functions.php';....$page = isNum($_REQUEST['page']);?>

So if someone decided to pass along (mysite/index.php?page=1P, or anything non numeric at all), it will be reset to 1. This will halt anything other than the intended numeric data (or a static base numeric value) getting in.

Of course 1, might not be the desired alternative numeric value, so you could modify the function to be something like this:

// For checking if value is a number, if not return 1. function isNum($val, $alt) {  if (!is_numeric($val)) { $val = $alt; }  return ($val); }

Which would basically allow you to specify an alternative numeric value, so if the url sent one isn't, it will use our alternative, here's an example of it's use:

</php.....include 'functions.php';....$page = isNum($_REQUEST['page'], 1);?>

So if $_REQUEST['page'] is anything other than valid numeric data, in this case, it will become 1.

I hope this information is of use to you all B)

P.S. Feel free to comment/suggest etc, also if you know any other little things like this to help out against SQL Injection (or even XSS etc), I would be more than happy to read them, I am very interested in the subject of preventing these kinds of things (especially without going overboard).

Good tip... anyone who's into designing a blog/CMS/Forum software or just a plain web-site which uses a navigation method based on URL encoded variables should implement such a check from ground up. If this trick is kept on mind and integrated into the core of the system, it can save many tears later on B)

Another way to prevent Sql Injection attacks is by using the mysql_real_escape_string() php function if you use the mysql php extension or the mysqli_real_escape_string() php function if you use the mysqli php extension, both functions do the same thing, escapes special characters in a string for use in a SQL statement and are very helpful, i use it always, and as you i code a little function and included it in every page that works with databases.

Visit MySQL - SQL Injection Prevention to see a good explanation with examples of this issue.

Best regards,

Yup I do the same for string data that's parsed.Numerics I use this function, it's smaller, faster and if it ain't a pure numeric value (I don't want it) B).On all string data in my custom function I perform strip_tags, str_replace (if I don't want \r\n for single line strings etc), mysql_real_escape_string() etc.One thing I haven't determined yet is how to avoid indirect injections (like form data). It's one thing that came up using a vulnerability scanner even after using the above techniques, though I suspect it's less likely to be taken advantage of.

More articles with a lot of examples:

SQL Injection Attacks by Example,Steve Friedl's Unixwiz.net Tech Tips.

(more) Advanced SQL Injection,Chris Anley, Next Generation Security Software.

SQL Injection walkthrough, SecuriTeam.

PHP: SQL Injection - Manual, PHP Official Documentation. (New)

All of them are very complete.

Best regards,

Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

Very nice Tutorial. I just need a little more help. I wan't to stop sql injections from form inputs (post inputs) is there a way so I can make it so only the charictors a-z A-Z and 0-9 can be entered? I tried preg_match but I found out if you have just one letter in it then return will work (example: - doesn't work but a- does). How would I make it so a- would not return and come up with an error message. That would really help make my website secure. I really don't want my site to get hacked lol.Thanks,Sparkx

Very nice Tutorial. I just need a little more help. I wan't to stop sql injections from form inputs (post inputs) is there a way so I can make it so only the charictors a-z A-Z and 0-9 can be entered? I tried preg_match but I found out if you have just one letter in it then return will work (example: - doesn't work but a- does). How would I make it so a- would not return and come up with an error message. That would really help make my website secure. I really don't want my site to get hacked lol.Thanks,
Sparkx

Well you have a lot of options to do that, one way is to check on the client side all your form inputs with a javascript function, if the data is correct you submit your form otherwise you show your error message. For example:
<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function isAlphaNumeric(str){  var re = /[^a-zA-Z0-9]/g  if (re.test(str)) return false;  return true;}function checkForm(TheForm){	var nf = TheForm.elements.length-1;	var f = TheForm;	for(i=0; i < nf; i++) {		e = f.elements[i]; // element		v = e.value; // element value		if (v != "" && isAlphaNumeric(v) ) continue;		else { e.focus(); alert('Error'); return false; }	}	return true;}function Check(elem) {	var v = elem.value;	if ( v!= "" && isAlphaNumeric(v) ) { alert("Correct value"); return true; }	else { alert("Incorrect value"); elem.focus();return false; }}</script></head><body><form action="page.php" name="a" onsubmit="return checkForm(this)" method="post"><p>Text to validate with onsubmit: <input type="text" name="aText" value="" size="10" maxlenght="5" /><br />Text to validate with onblur: <input type="text" name="aText1" value="" size="10" maxlenght="5" onblur="Check(this)"/><br /><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /></p></form></body></html>
Take in mind that this is a very simple working example so you must adjust it basically to show the error messages.

Best regards,

Keep in mind javascript (being client side), can be modified by the user if they know how.A more secure method is to check server side (validation through a PHP script or some such), just make sure you strip out anything dangerous before validating any input.

Well I tried this. I know it doesn't work all the time but is it good enough in most cases? Code:

//STOPING ALL POSSIBLITIES$var=$_POST['var'];$no_good = array("'", '"', ">", "<", ";"); //Possible charictors used in injections$var2 = str_replace($no_good, "", $var);if($var!=$var2){echo("Invalid Charictors Used.");exit();}//CONVERT TO HTML$var=$_POST['var'];$no_good = array("'", '"', ">", "<"); //Possible charictors used in injections$no_good2 = array(""", '"', ">", "<");$var2 = str_replace($no_good, $no_good2, $var);
Which one do you recomend for safe results. If I do convert to html can they do html on my site or would it just be displayed and no action taken?
Thanks,
Sparkx