xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dj:nich

Gimp: Good User Bar Creator

Well people on this forum seem to like Photoshop alot i dont know why but here i go with Gimp you can do many more features and it is freeware at the moment which basically means that you can download it for free yes you need to install a GTK2 file but they do not use that amount of memory and being a designer my self for user bars i know the importance of a good creator and i would swear on anything you will find this program easier and much much more interesting to use please reply and i dont mind getting in a debate about this Topic as i know i will win B)

Gimp is simply different. It has a different user interface, which probably scares a lot of die-hard Photoshop fans. Then again I used Photoshop in the past and I had no problems switching to open-source. Anyway, these days it's even easier to switch since mods exist, which make Gimp's interface exactly same as the ones within the "big league brothers."I won't argue that Gimp is better than Photoshop, I'm not a professional. But I do believe that they are aimed at different styles of usage. Just compare the sizes of both programs (few MB vs. few hundred MB). In addition, I think the learning curve in Adobe's software is a bit more steep. Bottom line, if you need a small but advanced software for simple (and sometimes complex) image editing, why not to try the handy, open-source Gimp instead of the enormous and pricey Photoshop?

Gimp came preinstalled on ubuntu, and I was messing with it because I haven't used it before. Me being somebody who has used photoshop for basically forever, would find it hard to switch to gimp. Gimp as a lot of features that photoshop has which is pretty cool for being free, and photoshop is over a hundred dollars. If I hadn't payed for photoshop I would be using gimp though.

I only were using trial versions of Photoshop and before that I used different image editors and all I can say that if you just need to manipulate simple graphics and you won't get a lot of money from your work with Photoshop, I doubt you need to pay over 100 dollars for such a software if you're not even planning to use all the features of the software.. I then found Gimp, free, open-source image editor on Linux, later I found that it is also available for Windows, the user interface really was annoying, I used it and closed it, didn't like it, but with time using Gimp I got used to the simple interface, but there were much more tutorials and similar things on the web for Photoshop, but now, there are plenty of tutorials how to do that and that, how to get some-kind of result and there are plenty of people using Gimp who can help you and give you some support on IRC #gimp channels, on different forums.. So I am staying with Gimp, but if I had the money I could also buy Photoshop, but maybe not, due to I think I wouldn't even use it.. As I know to Gimpshop is available, which has an interface similar to Photoshop for easier migrating to GIMP and Gimp has an extra animation package with which you can easily create animations, besides if you know some scripting languages like python, Perl you can write yourself anything you like, if you ever played with Autocad, then it would be something similar to scripting with LISP for Autocad, as I remember it is called AutoLisp and you can write yourself a lot, Gimp has Script-fu from which you can call external programs and etc. If you would ever plan to do something professional with Gimp it really gives enormous capabilities, I bet Photoshop has a lot of features too and can do even more, but GIMP is simple and doesn't take much space or resources and is developed/maintained by a community by simple and smart people, which doesn't want to get millions out of their work.Another example would be Blender and/or 3DsMax? One free and open-source and much lighter, another costs lots of money and uses lots of space and resources, even though if you want to professionally use Blender then you need a lot of extra things too, but this is another topic. B)

I have the GIMP installed though I rarely use it.I personally don't think highly of the GIMP.Before I became good with graphics I used to use the GIMP but now i find it way too simple and boring.

I do recall seeing a Photoshop-style interface for GIMP... They called it GIMPShop I believe... The site seems to be down at the moment, but I'm sure there are Sourceforge mirrors or something out there explaining it more in depth...I tried it once, being a Photoshop user, it was nice being able to use the keyboard shortcuts, and knowing where the layers and such were located as opposed to just using GIMP, where I had no idea where anything was... It's a nice happy medium of the Free of GIMP, and the Tools of Photoshop :blink:

I don't have anything against GIMP. Frankly it does everything I need save the fact that I use a couple Photoshop plugins a lot that don't have anything like them on GIMP. If GIMP could ever use Photoshop 4 plugins, like Paint Shop Pro could...dunno still does maybe, then I'd be using GIMP as I never use all the features of Photoshop period. I could save a few hundred bucks every couple years if GIMP supported those features.That being said, in my opinion, GIMP had a better lens flare than PS for a long time and some other features that PS didn't so I've used both, but mostly I use PS.

There should be some plugins or scripts that call out photoshop compatible stuff like plugins and brushes. I remember coming across it online but I never tried it. When I create flyers, logos, or edit pictures for people they say, "Oh, you know how to use Photoshop? No? Then you went to school for this? No!?!" Then I tell them that I used a free program that can be downloaded online called GIMP.I want my art/creative works to not be affiliated with the Photoshop name nor professional schooling. I think someone who can dedicate themselves to this kind of discipline while establishing a successful portfolio will have no problem should they transistion into the professional or Photoshop world.Levimage

I would'nt say GIMP Is Better.Photoshop Is Currently The Best, Gimp Is Really For Signature's, Userbars or Avatars, I would say GIMP Is Rated 3/10, & Photoshop 8/10.
Sorry

i'm with you. gimp is free but it has not so much features :) i was using gimp but those windows are apart :)

I can't stand GIMP, but I think that is because I am more used to Photoshop. Sure, its free, but being a multimedia student I can get photoshop for what I believe is a great price for such a powerful program. Also, things like Corel Paint Shop Pro etc really annoy me, even though they have features that I prefer over photoshop. Why can't someone just come along and put all programs together to make a super program?