xisto Community

Well I know that this is an older thread, that hasn't been brought up in a while, but I thought I would share some of my experience with vista.I just got a new laptop computer with an Intel core 2 duo 2.0Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, 256MB Nvidia graphics card, with windows vista ultimate.I can say that it really outperforms my old 1.7Ghz pentium 4 computer by a ton, and I don't notice any lag anywhere, everything seems so speedy and works without a flaw.I am so far enjoying vista, unlike what many others here seem to feel. I think the problem is mainly when people try and upgrade their computers to vista, whereas when you buy a computer for it, it'll work much better. Same thing happened with xp for a while, because a lot of hardware didn't have drivers that supported the operating system. If you want a new PC go for vista, and if you want vista go for a new PC.

I bought a new laptop back in March that had Vista on it. It is currently the computer I am using now. I like some of the newer features it has on it like Speech Recognition and being able to use your flash drives to speed up the computer, but it isn't really meant for gaming. Unless you go all out and pay the extra money for a really good computer, I'd recommend keeping Windows XP for playing games because you will lag a lot if not. It looks nicer and may be more secure but it's not high performance capable without lag.

I agree with the 'dont upgrade until a service pack' idea. Compatibility isn't great, performance suffers especially in games.I'll probably just wait until i upgrade my computer - in that time hopefully microsoft will have caught on a started releasing a few service packs to fix some issues.I think they should implement a gaming mode or something similar because the performance really does suffer. I know people that run it and are heavy gamers, they have top of the line video cards but still get performance of mid range cards in windows xp.They should bascially turn down the cpu priority of all services/other apps and decrease the memory usage for them, as well as hard disk activity. In effect 'slowing down' windows to speed up games.-HellFire

Well I haven't really tried much in the area of games, but in the area of business type software, and internet browsing, it seems to work amazingly well. Also, haven't had a single program crash on me yet, or a single error message. (I think i was in xp a total of about 5 minutes before I had some sort of error message pop up).So maybe i'll try installing a game or something and trying to see about performance. But so far, it seems to be great....although I haven't tried installing xp on the machine (they gave me the cd's for both xp and vista, i am guessing in case i wanted to downgrade?)....I won't try xp unless I start running into issues with things, but so far, haven't had a single issue. Haven't come across any of these bugs people talk about there being a ton of....so it would be nice if somebody could point some out...because i haven't found any.Security seems to be great in vista, and my virus scanner.....appears to allow this computer to run much better with it running....no longer do I notice any difference with a virus program running in the background (I can even run a full system scan in the background without slowing the computer down).

Windows Vista... that's an Operating System that I haven't seen in a while now. There's too much problems with it. Almost everyone I know is running Windows 7 and/or Windows XP. I had Vista installed on my computer when it was first released and after a few days uninstalled it and did a clean install of Windows XP.I'm sure that most people agree that Vista is probably the most crappy operating system ever released... well that and Windows ME...Windows 7 is the way to go, almost everything runs on it and if there is a problem with Hardware Compatibility you can just install and use Windows Xp through Windows XP mode which is free from Microsoft.Just my opinion! :P

if there is a problem with Hardware Compatibility you can just install and use Windows Xp through Windows XP mode which is free from Microsoft.

Why do you say that windows XP is free from Microsoft? Most people I know had to pay for it. Do you really mean that I can go to a shop and say "Please give me a Windows XP distro for free"?I have been told that if I don't like my Vista delivered with my PC and want to install Windows XP, I have to pay for XP, and no guarantee that my CD drive and my sound card will work correctly.

i say that since windows 7 is out which deals with all of the problems created by vista and improving its looks at the same time then there is no point in thinking about buying vista these days, since most people either did not like vista and went back to windows xp. some people will have of course like me stuck to windows xp until it got to the point where the system went all slow and had problems with certain features. windows vista requires alot of work arounds to get some programs just to run while windows 7 does not have that problem. although it did take a while for windows 7 to have windows xp sp3 added to the compatibiltly list for games such as grand theft auto iv.i say that windows 7 is a great leap over windows vista, it is extremely user friendly stylish and clones some of the features that people liked from windows vista, i suppose you could say that windows 7 is vistas looks and windows xps stability. by windows xp mode they mean a download from the microsoft website which allows programs from xp that do not run on windows 7 to run on it. think of it like virtual pc, it is not the actual os just enough to have the relevant features to run tose programs. genrally for 16 bit programs this is used since i know for a fact that the 64 bit version of windows 7 does not have the 16 bit basecode so those programs only work in virtualisation.

Why do you say that windows XP is free from Microsoft? Most people I know had to pay for it. Do you really mean that I can go to a shop and say "Please give me a Windows XP distro for free"?I have been told that if I don't like my Vista delivered with my PC and want to install Windows XP, I have to pay for XP, and no guarantee that my CD drive and my sound card will work correctly.

Actually, You should do some research on it. This is the best alternative there is. It's better than doing the whole Multi OS thing at startup.

i like multi operating systems, besides the only thing for me that xp comes in handy for is to run 16 bit programs, but the majority of them can be ran on dosbox. so why should i have to use something by microsoft when thrid party people beat them to it. it does what you need and contrary to what you think you do not need to know programming to run it. all you do is type help and it gives you a list of functions and you just mount a drive (the folder where you game/program is).

Windows Vista... that's an Operating System that I haven't seen in a while now.

There's too much problems with it. Almost everyone I know is running Windows 7 and/or Windows XP.

I had Vista installed on my computer when it was first released and after a few days uninstalled it and did a clean install of Windows XP.

I'm sure that most people agree that Vista is probably the most crappy operating system ever released... well that and Windows ME...

Windows 7 is the way to go, almost everything runs on it and if there is a problem with Hardware Compatibility you can just install and use Windows Xp through Windows XP mode which is free from Microsoft.

Just my opinion! ;)

Vista was more of a ghost OS for Microsoft... even when it was released a lot of Windows Users (Especially XP) never really see the positive gains from moving to Vista... it had a lot of issues! and now Windows 7 is available and with a lot of positive feedbacks and reviews, a lot of XP users have finally made the choice to upgrade!

Even now there's still more XP users than Windows 7 and Vista, and frankly Vista never really made it pass XP from it's launch date to now... and Windows 7 will probably be a better successor to XP than Vista!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yes I am using windows vista on my PC its working fine but it is less advance than windows7

i think Windows 7 is probably the better alternative to XP... Vista hasn't detracted as many users from XP than Windows 7

I don't recommend anyone for Vista, in my last Laptop I had vista inbuilt and it was horrible using, later I installed XP again. I really don't find a compact reason why Microsoft had tried to do, if you say about Graphics, I don't feel it was that better than XP. and rest anywhere I didn't find any advantage. Currently I'm using Win7 and Win Xp in different systems, and I'm completely happy with both.

Yes I am using Vita original and I don't see any problems but others say there are I don't know why.

well you're one of the lucky ones... had Vista on an ASUS gaming laptop... from day one had issues and slowness, even though the laptop was a grunt beast

Windows 7 is much more reliable, although on my netbook i had to freshly install XP as 7 starter just seems to be a bit resource hungry

now XP runs like a breeze on it :unsure: