xisto Community
webguru

8gb Memory Cards For Phones

Samsung Electronics has developed the world’s largest storage-capacity memory card for mobile phones.It is only a quarter the size of the widely-used and existing SD card, but much faster in downloading and uploading multimedia data, it added.Source :http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Bah, I dunno...People seem to be able to fill 8gigs pretty fast, but I don't think there's really all that need for 8gigs on a cellphone unless you decide to try and like run your whole life from there, which is pointless.Same thing I think for mp3 players...iPods go up to what, now... 20+ gigs? (I really hate iPods so I have no idea what their capacity is, but I know it's generally larger than any other mp3 player)My mp3 player has 2 gigs and I've only ever once filled it up, and I still had enough music I could easily remove a bunch of songs and get it back down without losing anything.It's not like it's a big challenge to syncronize an mp3 player to a computer... And there's no way you're going to listen to 20gigs of music all in one session (With the exception of if you're going on some sort of road trip)So I really don't think that is neccessary...I know there are ways to fill it up... But it's really most people trying to make it so that their phone/mp3 player/whatever never needs to be syncronized with anything, so that they can keep things they haven't touched in a year on it, and are trying to run as much of their life as they can off that one device...I personally, don't think thta much portable storage space is needed unless you're trying to like transport whole programs to people.And even programs aren't usually big enough to warrant 8-20gigs.

My mp3 player has 2 gigs and I've only ever once filled it up, and I still had enough music I could easily remove a bunch of songs and get it back down without losing anything.

My mp3 player has 256 Megs, I joust bought it, I decidced it was big enouth. And I was very disappointed to see that this represented only two albums at decent compression. Two albums means only two hours music. And what happens if I have to travel during eight hours ? I have to quickly find a PC in order to read from a CD and put it on my mp3 ?Same thing with the cell-phone, if you store pictures you need a lot of space. And if you use your cell phone for professional needs, if your are able to read your mai on it, then you will have to store some PowerPoint and Crosoft Word documents too, and then 8 gig come rather fast.

My mp3 player has 256 Megs, I joust bought it, I decidced it was big enouth. And I was very disappointed to see that this represented only two albums at decent compression. Two albums means only two hours music. And what happens if I have to travel during eight hours ? I have to quickly find a PC in order to read from a CD and put it on my mp3 ?Same thing with the cell-phone, if you store pictures you need a lot of space. And if you use your cell phone for professional needs, if your are able to read your mai on it, then you will have to store some PowerPoint and Crosoft Word documents too, and then 8 gig come rather fast.

THat is precisely why I repeatedly mentioned in my post that an exception was if you tried to run half your life off the phone <__<

Personally, I wouldn't want one single gadget holding -everything- for me.
If something happened to it I'd be totally screwed.

I'd use a flash drive to transfer files, though.
So powerpoints and stuff are coverred there.

And I don't really see the point in putting large amounts of pictures on a phone anyway.
I'd pretty much keep them on a phone until I had the chance to download them onto a computer on a flash drive.
Edited by mvs.en (see edit history)

The size of memory card that you use in your phone depends on what your doing. If you have a phone that takes great pictures, you can take heaps of pictures. Also, if you like to listen to music - store some music on there also (with your pictures too!)Personally, I think this is good! i use a SD card fro my PDA (Palm Tungsten E2) and i run lots from there! I have pictures, some music, files, documents, programs - the list goes on. But what im saying is that I need a fair bit of space on the memory card to save everything that I need. Though i cant say i have used more then 2GB of space (thats the size of my card).An 8GB card would be good for professional photographers that use digital cameras! If they are shooting large amounts of pictures, with high resolution - they are going to want the space.Still, for the home user - I think the 8gb is just too much-jimmy

The size of memory card that you use in your phone depends on what your doing. If you have a phone that takes great pictures, you can take heaps of pictures. Also, if you like to listen to music - store some music on there also (with your pictures too!)
Personally, I think this is good! i use a SD card fro my PDA (Palm Tungsten E2) and i run lots from there! I have pictures, some music, files, documents, programs - the list goes on. But what im saying is that I need a fair bit of space on the memory card to save everything that I need. Though i cant say i have used more then 2GB of space (thats the size of my card).

An 8GB card would be good for professional photographers that use digital cameras! If they are shooting large amounts of pictures, with high resolution - they are going to want the space.

Still, for the home user - I think the 8gb is just too much
-jimmy

Weren't there already hard disks being developed the size of a post stamp of 4 - 8 gigs?

Although, I'm curious as to what's better. A flash-type memory or a HD? Besides functionality in transportation, what other benefits do flashcards have to offer?

I won't complain about larger file capacity. Eventually, if not already, a gigabyte will become peanuts on the subject of file space. Just like a megabyte was huge a decade ago, and is pretty much negligible today. If my phone would be able to take decent pictures, play mp3's and act as a USB-stick, then that would be awesome, though I wouldn't be as stupid to store important files on them permanently.

I think that's awesome, because I have a little less than 8 gigs, for my whole entire music collection, and instead of brining my huge ipod video, and my phone, I can just bring my phone around with me. I can't wait until they have even bigger capacity memory cards. They even have 16 gig compact flash cards now, which is huge for it's size.

Well, I have a music collection of over 120 GB, good quality mp3, so that means that usually one song of 5 minutes takes about 10MB, one album takes a bit over 100MB and usually it is more, due to when I had an mp3 player with 512 MB, I could only upload about 4 albums, sometimes 5 albums, seemed a lot, but I got annoyed to deleting and uploading again, due to usually when I go to university, go back home I listed to music, if I can.. and listening to the same stuff over and over again! uploading and stuff, really boring stuff, now when I am listening to music through my mobile phone, it is quite better, 2 GB SD memory card, seems 4 times more albums, yeah cool, but now I want a 8 GB SD card, due to but I think my mobile limit is 2 GB sd memory cards.. But to tell the truth, 2 GB is quite enough, you won't be bored for all day, sometimes you need to delete one or another mp3 file, due to if you take lots of images which is usually about ~800kb JPG files can take some space too. It is usually everyone need, if you don't need an 8 GB memory card, don't buy, someone else will buy it, if you're satisfied with 64MB memory cards, good for you B)

Depends on what you use it for and the price i reckon, because its small it is more efficient than a bigger memory card because it also saves space.It could be useful for people that like to keep their whole music collection on their phone and listen to anysong they want anywhere. Also it is another way for using your phone as a portable storage device because you only need to carry the one thing, it could save you from carrying a usb flash drive as well.Later on there would probably be other new stuff for phones that will use alot of storage space like new games that use better graphics engines and better technologies.-HellFire

I don't think there's need for 8gigs on a cellphone (...) Same thing for mp3 players

You'd be surprised. I was thinking exactly the same thing until I've changed my old 64MB mp3 player to a new one which can operate flash cards of up to 2GB. That is insanely handy: instead of replacing my songs with other ones every day, I can store all the songs I'm listening to at the moment, and carry them with me all the time. I can listen to any of them, at any time. The storage capacity is especially important if you have a really good player and you value high-quality music, which takes even more space. I assure you, you can run out of 8GB quite fast.
Seeing that you have a hard time filling even 2GBs of storage space, I guess it depends on personal tastes mostly, with some people just needing more songs at hand.

A flash-type memory or a HD?

Flash uses less power and has no moving parts (=longer MTBF); HD offer more storage space and they are faster for the same price.

No matter the mp3s case we are all discussing, the important thing is that the faster such new and good technologies (faster and larger flash memory in this case) are introduced into popular uses (cell-phones), the sooner they will become cheaper and affordable in less popular areas (I'm still waiting for regular flash-based computer "hard" drives). Therefore, any news about such useful technologies being advanced, are very, very good news.
Edited by xerxes (see edit history)

They most likely made these 8GB chips for smart phones, like the Blackberry or some other smart phone. They are just trying to make a buck, because I agree, you don't need THAT much space on a phone. Maybe a digital camera, but highly not likely with that either.

As technologies get better, and we start using programs that take up more space we are going to need more space on devices such as our phone or camera. Soon there may be a day that we could use a 8gb memory stick for a camera, very nice high-resolution pictures!-jimmy